Current Page: 25 of 25
Re: 2017 OTHER COUNTY NEWS
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 24 December, 2017 14:33

Well it's not 'year' on 'year' old boy so it's a little more interesting.

England players last 20 years? More than 1 I think...3?

Since 97?

Marcus
Ian B
Richard J
Nick Compton
Craig O

Nope its 5..... gosh.

Global generalisations or just selective memory.... never quite sure.

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2017 14:43 by Grockle.

Posted by: Angell Face (IP Logged)
Date: 24 December, 2017 14:41

If the only thing that matters is "winning silverware" TS then I can only conclude that your horizons are very limited and that you don't appreciate good cricket when you see it!

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 24 December, 2017 18:54

Well I conclude AF that one would see "good cricket" on the way to winning some silverware, and that is success.

If not something is drastically wrong.

Of your 5 named England players old boy, 3 of them came to us as experienced players from other counties. Never let facts get in the way of a half - baked retort, eh?

Date: 24 December, 2017 21:45

Yes. You said England players NOT inexperienced England players. All of them except Marcus debuted from Somerset I believe post 1997 didn't they? Even MT might have... not certain about that.

Most 'retorts' will be half baked by your definition when you change your criteria to make it so after the factual retort has been made. Shift the half baked goalposts why don't ya. ..

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2017 21:55 by Grockle.

Date: 24 December, 2017 22:25

I said produce an England player, the emphasis is on produce, but you can analyse that till the cows come home.

You are heading for apoplexy old boy. Take it easy and enjoy the break even if you don't recognise Christmas.

It will all be here in 2018.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: Tractor (IP Logged)
Date: 25 December, 2017 00:43

Lighten up. It's Christmas.

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 25 December, 2017 01:18

Could we add Craig Kieswetter and Jos Buttler to that list of England players? Both definitely produced in Somerset

Posted by: RadstockRob (IP Logged)
Date: 25 December, 2017 03:20

I'm back.

ot long til this thread is closed.
bet
Those were the days Grockle.

We were self policing.

Sorry got it wrong

Not Eric and Ernie

Winge and Crackit!

I'd love to have BJ back on here.

He'd shut the Happy Clappers ulp.

We used to chat by PM but lost touch.

All those years and I never physically met Jim.

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

Date: 25 December, 2017 08:45

He was about last year but is occasional now. Think he is farther afield and probably occupied on other things but welcome when he does appear.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 25 December, 2017 10:21

Big Jim shut the Happy Clappers up? He was the original one.

But it is the time of peace and goodwill towards all men, so I will say no more save that I met him once.

Date: 25 December, 2017 13:37

I'm not sure who the Happy Clappers are... I think they've been more than one bunch over the years.

(Sm72)

Date: 25 December, 2017 14:21

Apoplexy? Festive fun I thought. You really don't know me too well Thomas if you honestly think this wordplay causes me some kind of stress or strain.

Well Richard Johnson was produced in Somerset because we remodelled his action to get him his rightful place. He's given us credit for that.

Marcus and the two Craigs were definitely ours

Ian Blackwell made his name with us not Derbyshire

So I don't know what you mean by 'producing' England players because it bears little resemblence to anyone else's idea of the meaning it seems

Seems like justification for over generalisation/verbal cockup to me.

Nothing new there then.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/12/2017 14:27 by Grockle.

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 26 December, 2017 22:39

Quote:
Tom Seymour
Well I conclude AF that one would see "good cricket" on the way to winning some silverware, and that is success.
If not something is drastically wrong.

Of your 5 named England players old boy, 3 of them came to us as experienced players from other counties. Never let facts get in the way of a half - baked retort, eh?

Obviously you can't win silverware without playing good cricket.

Equally obviously, you can play good cricket without winning silverware (or does every county that ever gets to a limited-overs final, or finishes second in the championship, or every Test side that loses a series 2-1, only play rubbish cricket?)

Never let facts get in the way of a half-baked retort, eh. (Possibly one incorporating the word 'umpire').

As regards the players in question, how many people ever picked Nick C or Ian B as Test players while with their first counties?

RJ I grant you was spotted at an earlier stage, but even so it was while with Somerset that he won his unique record of three Test caps and two MoM awards.

Subsequent knee problems might have been simple bad luck, but no doubt those who know better will tell me they were his own fault, or more likely Somerset's.

(Typo corrected, apparently unremarked by anyone but me)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/12/2017 23:55 by mikeindex.

Date: 26 December, 2017 22:49

How very interesting!

I never referred to AF as "old boy" so those 2 paragraphed quotes did not come from the same posting did they?

Try to keep up.

Date: 26 December, 2017 23:09

Nope. all seems to come from one post. 18:54 on Christmas Eve. Not able to remember your own posts Tom? Who needs to keep up?

(Sm72)

Date: 27 December, 2017 08:28

You've been told before Index.

If you wish to continue such personal attacks, DO IT BY PRIVATE MESSAGE!

(Sm138)

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 27 December, 2017 09:26

If Grockle thinks something I write here constitutes a personal attack and/or would be better expressed via private message he is at liberty to tell me so.

I would ask you to explain how my use of the phrase "half-baked retort" constitutes a personal attack unworthy of the board whereas yours doesn't, but I expect you'd respond in your usual way by either pretending not to understand or with some snide (but not at all personal) comment about umpiring, so I won't bother.

Date: 27 December, 2017 10:13

If there is a complaint here please pass it through the PM system identifying what is insulting and I will moderate should it be necessary to do so.

That is the process. If anyone wishes to take advantage of this please do.

There is also the SN abuse email should that be seen as a better system for a specific poster. It can be found at the bottom of every dialogue box on the forum.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/12/2017 11:32 by Grockle.

Current Page: 25 of 25
This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net