Current Page: 90 of 90
Re: Memorable moment of the 2017 season.
Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2017 18:20

Peter Trego coming back with five wickets in an innings on The Oval concrete highway in September (and plenty of second innings run), after scarcely bowling in the championship all season - and indeed being dropped for a while.

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2017 18:57

Well I only went to one match, and we got a pasting in that, so my choice is quite limited. From that day, I'd have to go for the moment the Taunton crowd cheered the first time a Hants batsman other than Roussouw scored a run.

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2017 19:25

Yes SP, that was a stunning innings by RR.

Don't think he scored many more runs over the rest of the season, but he certainly took us apart for a good few overs that day.

Grizzzly

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2017 08:22

Beating Surrey after the had us 22-5 and THAT innings by RDVM. The first Blackbird of the season.

Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2017 14:14

Marcus's 50th century would top my list.

In addition to others listed above, I would have Tom Abell's 96 v Surrey - he batted beautifully and showed real character, given the season he had had up to that point.

As a theme, rather than a moment, I put forward the team spirit which the players showed - the non-confrontational celebrations and genuine joy with which they greeted wickets.

Posted by: JuliaW (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2017 14:18

Quote:
Wickham
As a theme, rather than a moment, I put forward the team spirit which the players showed - the non-confrontational celebrations and genuine joy with which they greeted wickets.

Finding myself nodding agreement with that. (Sm125)

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2017 16:54

Hear hear Wickham.

Suggestions for additional awards:

Innings of the season
Bowling performance of the season
Champagne Moment of the season?
(All cross-format or it would get impossibly unwieldy).

Or maybe we have quite enough already. Dunno.

Posted by: Old Boy! (IP Logged)
Date: 23 October, 2017 19:44

Quote:
Bagpuss
Beating Surrey after the had us 22-5 and THAT innings by RDVM. The first Blackbird of the season.

Absolutely on the ball Bagpuss. No other performance comes within a country mile. I remember thinking stupidly as he walked out - will we reach 50?.

Old Boy!

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 24 October, 2017 12:22

I heartily concur with the Prebendary's post, particularly the last paragraph.
My picks for the unofficial awards:
Innings of the season: Roley's 163*.
Bowling performance of the season: PT's fifer at The Oval (in defiance of the conditions, and so typical of the man).
Champagne Moment: Marcus' anticipatory catch at (leg-)slip.

Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 24 October, 2017 16:36

At the risk of making this seem like a mutual appreciation society, I would vote for each of MI's suggestions.

Posted by: WimborneJohn (IP Logged)
Date: 25 October, 2017 07:22

Some great suggestions above, but my best memory of 2017 was Jamie Overton's bowling in the Yorkshire game in early June. Very fast and accurate and an experienced Yorks batting line-up seemed clueless how to deal with it. Sadly the eventual result of that game was certainly not a highlight!

Such a shame we lost him to injury for the latter part of the season and these problems do seem to happen so often in the early years of genuinely quick young bowlers. But I remain convinced that Jamie's best years are yet to come and we could witness the first occasion that Twins play in the same England side.

Testimonial for Marcus next year.
Posted by: RadstockRob (IP Logged)
Date: 18 December, 2017 23:20

Testimonials are not something I approve of nowadays but it's up to each person if the want to contribute or not.

Best of luck to him and lets hope his form is not affected as has happen to others.

Re: Testimonial for Marcus next year.
Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 19 December, 2017 14:08

I don't approve of them either nowadays. Is this the third such one for Marcus since he has been here?

My hands will remain firmly in my pockets when they come around with the begging bowls next season, because begging it is.

Benefits and Testimonials had a place in the 50's and 60's when county cricketers (and Somerset in particular) were very poorly paid during the Summer months only, and had to find employment during the Winter such as admin work at County Hall, selling cars or labouring on building sites.

Things are far removed from that nowadays.

But as Radstock says - "it's up to each person if they want to contribute or not."

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 19 December, 2017 16:21

Must say I agree with both Rob, and Tom.

Far more like to support a local Charity, or Musgrove Hospital etc.

Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 19 December, 2017 16:45

Marcus is a legend of Somerset cricket.
Not fully appreciated by some but will leave a huge hole when he does retire, a one off.

I see the testimonial award as far more a huge appreciation of all he has done for Somerset cricket over 25 years not a pure begging event.
I would also assume it will be linked to a charity so not purely for his retirement fund.....

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 19 December, 2017 18:21

There is some point to what Rob, Tom and Roger say and it is a perfectly reasonable stand to take. First class cricketers of Marcus Trescothick's quality are well paid these days and have other opportunities to add to their income (although that may not have been the case when he started out).

However players of the quality of Trescothick and James Hildreth (and Andrew Caddick in his day) could earn their money at virtually any County they chose. And who could have blamed them when Somerset languished in the second division for five years for example. Many top rate players have moved on when their Counties struggled to more immediate opportunities of cricketing success and better financial opportunities.

Marcus has stuck with Somerset for 26 seasons through thick and thin and will probably be no better off financially and could easily be worse off than he might have been had he moved to a 'big' club perhaps with wider sponsorship opportunities etc.

Loyalty is not the currency it once was in cricket, and for perfectly valid reasons - young people, in cricket and outside, need to secure their financial future however they can in this day and age, but Marcus Trescothick has shown loyalty to Somerset in spades and in my view deserves some recognition for it.

I fully accept you can call this either way and those who think testimonials have had their day make as valid point as I do. However as long as testimonials are reserved for longstanding members of a team they, and this one in particular, will have my support and my coins in the bucket as did James Hildreth's last year and every one before that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/12/2017 18:33 by Farmer White.

Current Page: 90 of 90
This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net