Current Page: 2 of 45
Re: 2017 SCCC PLAYERS OLD AND NEW
Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2017 16:30

Quote:
Mike TA1
Another piece on Peter Roebuck. - [www.espncricinfo.com]
I remember something being said at the ground about that notice on Peter's locker around the same time this was all happening.

Sadly, I remember it all too well, Mike. It led of course to the biggest internal strife that has ever taken place at Somerset CCC, and I hope never to witness its likes again. Even way back in 1986, I had been watching and following Somerset for many years, and thus got to strike up friendships with a number of people. Several of the "rebels" were amongst these friends, and although I vehemently disagreed with the stance that they took, I still have a chat with them when our paths cross. Sadly, a few have passed away in the meantime.

They are mentioned (some by name and some not) in the newly published Diaries of Peter Roebuck. I have linked them below for they take some reading.

The reported actions of two of our 'star' players disgust me as much now as it did then - only Joel Garner came out of it with his reputation unscathed in my opinion.

Perhaps I am letting off steam, for I know that I must let it go, but when I see something new written (in this case some very poignant diary entries) it sadly brings it all back again.

However, perhaps some will care to read through them to discover something of what went on before and after that cataclysmic decision of 1986.

[www.peterroebuck.com]

Posted by: sfwithers (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2017 17:54

I read vast chunks of the Peter Roebuck diaries just after reading Ian Botham's autobiography (I'm not a big fan of sporting biogs but I was on jury service, the book was in the waiting room and I was doing a lot of waiting), so I read it. Seeing the same story from two different perspectives within days was very illuminating, and I think Roebuck comes out of the whole sorry tale much the better.

I like the fact that Roebuck left the 'Judas' sign on his locker because he felt it would be seen as a sign of weakness if he removed it. And in the Botham biog he (Botham) does come across as a bit of a highly self-regarding (tries to find a safe-for-work word) buffoon. Yes, he was one of the greatest cricketers to ever play for Somerset, but there was no doubt that Roebuck's analysis of the situation was essentially correct, and that neither Botham nor Richards were then playing to their potential for Somerset. As Clarence says, Garner comes out of both versions of the story with his reputation undamaged.

It would seem to be the case that Botham, I suspect like a lot of world-class sportspeople, isn't very good at taking anything resembling criticism. Though to be fair, he does acknowledge that he was often his own worst enemy. One example of this is that after a successful first season with Queensland - batting average of 34 and 29 wickets at 27.75 - which should have led to many more lucrative seasons with a team he really enjoyed playing for, he ballsed it all up with oafish, drunken behaviour on a plane (not violent per se but he did lay his hands on a fellow passenger) and, not for the first time, the police were involved. As a result of this he was sacked. And there are many other similar stories.

It's also clear that Roebuck had a massive respect for Botham the cricketer, writing a book with him that got spiked by a publisher. Even through the time of greatest animosity that respect was always apparent in Roebuck's writing. But he had very little regard for Botham the person or his time as Somerset's captain, when he was apparently always promising great signings that never materialised.

I know that Roebuck's life is a difficult one to look back on comfortably, but I do urge people to read his diaries, as they are very revealing on so many levels. I was also surprised at how bad some of his spelling is, considering his Cambridge education, with some quite odd mis-spellings! (Yes, I know I'm setting myself up for being criticised here, especially as I work as a sub-editor...)

Date: 02 February, 2017 18:53

I thank you very much for those words, sfwithers.

Posted by: Sloop John B (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 08:37

I like your analysis sfwithers and it largely accords with my memories of the time.
Roebuck was badly let down by a management and committee who made the fateful decision and then left Roebuck to face the flak alone.
Botham's behaviour off the field was far from exemplary before the incident but because of his cricketing prowess was given far too much slack.
I always felt the management and committee at the time should have resigned as they had allowed a situation where Viv , Joel and Both had been allowed to coast and they had built a divisive coterie around them. (Joel in my view was the least culpable of the three).

Date: 03 February, 2017 10:39

Good luck, Jacko!

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: Angell Face (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 10:40

Whatever Roebuck's failings, and I'll not judge him, no one reading the diary can doubt his courage and his total commitment to the Somerset cause. And in that dreadful season 1986 when,in his first season as Captain, it was all falling about his ears he still came top of the batting averages with 1288 runs at 47.70.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 11:14

I am fairly certain that I have already mentioned on an earlier thread that I attended the Shepton Mallett meeting and sat in front of Botham's parents, who were clearly deeply upset by the way things had turned out. And I recall particularly moving speeches, in very different styles and on opposing sides of the argument, by Denning and Popplew. Although I think now and thought then that the committee's decision was the right one, I expressed by my vote my lack on confidence in them for letting the situation deteriorate so badly, as so well expressed by SJB in his posting of 8.37 this morning.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2017 15:49 by Loyal of Lhasa.

Posted by: sfwithers (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 13:53

Clarence, I echo your thoughts re Mr Leach, and hopefully the changes to his action won't have caused any problems; it certainly sounds like he's happy enough withe the revised delivery. The surprise for me is that there was never a sniff about any issues before this, which considering he was the leading wicket-taker last season is a little surprising. Anyway, here's hoping! He also comes across very well.

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2017 15:12

Yes, echo that entirely sfw & CP.

I just hope that no over zealous umpire seeks to get his name all over the Cricket press by 'calling' Jack for an illegal action at some stage during the season.

Grizzzly

Date: 03 February, 2017 21:21

So do I, Grizzzly.

As far as I know, only two Somerset players have been 'no - balled' for throwing. They are E.J. (Ted) Tyler and Eric Bryant. Tyler played once for England, but both were slow left -arm bowlers.

Let us hope that 'Jacko' isn't a third.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 04 February, 2017 07:55

Have you got the date for the game Baggy?

(Sm72)

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 04 February, 2017 20:53

Grockle

MCC v Middlesex 26-29 March Abu Dhabi. Day-night match.

Also the North v South 50-over series (Lewis, along with Tim Groenewald, in the South squad) warm-ups in Dubai 15 March, followed by matches in Dubai 17, 19 March and Abu Dhabi 21 March.

Date: 05 February, 2017 18:28

Thanks ma'am. I'm hoping to get to the 19th which is on a Saturday. Problem with many of these games is that they play them in the week which is a pain in the posterior.

(Sm72)

Posted by: RadstockRob (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 17:22

Alex Barrow is having pre season trials with Surrey.

Best of luck Baz!

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 17:50

I agree Rob, good luck Alex.

I wonder if it is as a batsman or wicket keeper or both.

Posted by: cricketharris (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 18:26

All bad feelings about the great backing-up run-out fiasco of 2012 put behind him then.

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 23:15

Yes good luck to Alex in trying to resurrect his cricket career because he deserves it. Joining Surrey would be a good thing as in the eyes of many they are favourites to win the Championship this year.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2017 01:39

Do his trials start on April 1st ?

Grizzzly

Posted by: RadstockRob (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2017 06:03

I believe it's planned for as soon as Alex gets back into the country.

I am not aware of exact dates at the moment.

Alex is away doing some warm weather practice at the moment.

Date: 11 February, 2017 07:22

Yes good luck to Alex. Hope a new challenge will get his career moving again.

(Sm72)

Current Page: 2 of 45
This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net