Current Page: 1 of 2
Know Your Onions
Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 11:57

Graham Onions, who last week became Durham`s leading first class wicket-taker of all time, is only being offer a red ball contract for next season and has been told he can talk to other counties.

He was 35 yesterday, but in my view would be an excellent mentor for the likes of the Overton twins and Lewis Gregory for a couple of seasons and, unlike a good few English international seamers, has always bowled well at Taunton.

Talk to him, Somerset.

Re: Know Your Onions
Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 12:05

Might be difficult to lure him away as far as Taunton from his native North East, but worth a punt on a short - term contract subject to a fitness clause incorporated therein.

It depends what sort of deal he is after I suppose.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 12:07

Too injury prone, IMO.

Plus we wouldn't want to play him in white ball anymore than Durham would so it's not clear what we can offer him that he hasn't got in his existing contract offer.

We do need to add a seamer but the most important thing is that it should be somebody with a good fitness record because we have both LG and JO with weak/vulnerable backs and we need more depth.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 13:04

Durham have only done this because they are still strapped for cash.

I would have thought he was good for another 3 years, but Taunton might not be his preferred destination. He was quoted a few weeks ago as saying he wanted to spend his entire career at Durham, but wasn't sure if he would be offered anything. Well, he has been offered something (but maybe not as financially lucrative as he could get elsewhere)

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 13:08

Someone tell him Taunton now has a Nando's.

Date: 10 September, 2017 13:13

I'd guess that Notts might be favourites to snap him up.

Date: 10 September, 2017 13:38

Graham Onions has appeared in six of Durham`s 12 championship matches this season (averaging four wickets a match) and is expected to play in the final two.

Last season,when Durham finished fourth in Division One, he played in all 16, and his 54 wickets were only bettered by our own Jack Leach, Jeetan Patel and Keith Barker, of Warwickshire, and Yorkshire`s Jack Brooks.

The previous year, when Onions missed just one championship match, he claimed 69 wickets, topped in Division One only by Sussex`s Steve Magoffin and Durham colleague Chris Rushworth.

Not a bad CV, and fitness record.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2017 13:41 by cricketjerry-mouse.

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 13:49

(In serious mode), I can't see that Durham's motivation enters into it; neither does Somerset's choice of format in which they mostly play signings.

While I think we should be wary of entering into a bidding war with any of the Chequebook Counties if it came to an auction, I'd be more than happy to have Graham Onions (no.2 England-qualified pace bowler a few years back to my mind, behind Anderson but ahead of Broad et al) on the staff if we could get him on reasonable terms.

Three top-class if at times injury-plagued bowlers on the staff, 1-2 of whom (even if their misfortune with injury continues) will hopefully be available at amy moment that 1-2 of the others aren't, strikes me as a reasonably good deal.
Even ignoring the hoped-for eventuality of Lewis' and Jamie's problems resolving themselves within the next year or so.

No idea of the precise number of pounds involved, but I"d be for offering a reasonably priced two-year contract.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 17:51

Well it will now be Maynard's fault if we don't sign him and he has a decent season anywhere else so I think our job is done here.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 17:52

Do we need another bowler ?

Much as I have always admired GO & would love to have seen him on our books a few years ago, I'm not sure where he would presently fit into the team. At the age of 35 with a patchy injury record, I would query the wisdom of investing precious resources in signing him.

Cove, TG, Jove (hopefully), LG, JD, PvM, plus Dom, Jack & possibly RvdM, represent a pretty decent variety of options from which to select a bowling line up.

Surely our focus must primarily be on strengthening the batting.

Grizzzly

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 21:01

Jimmy Anderson was "injury prone" early in his career, stress fractures and what have you. Turned out all right.

I'd say no to GO, albeit there are worse signings we could make.

Date: 10 September, 2017 22:07

It won't be a problem Grizzz until one of our bowlers struggles a bit then NOT signing Onions will be another indicator of Somerset's inadequacies in the eyes of some. But I could be mistaken of course.

Have to agree with you though. Our bowling is not an area of improvement priority at the moment when we don't seem to be able to bat.

One interesting stat that floated out into the Twitterverse today is that we have the top two scoring batsmen in CC1 since 2007. Marcus T is number 1 and James Hildreth is number 2.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 02:55

And Steven Davies was on that top 10 list.
Dreadful signing, of course.

Date: 11 September, 2017 06:45

I blame.......

(Sm72)

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 07:32

Angela Rippon.

I blame her for everything.

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 08:33

Grockle: re the top two scoring batsmen in CC since 2007...

Tres has 12,874
Hildreth has 10,692
Next is Chris Nash with about 10,400
Chris Rogers is next, spread across four counties
(all according to the Sky graphic)

To me, the most startling aspect is that Marcus has approx 2,200 more runs than any of the others, around 22%!

#commanding

Date: 11 September, 2017 08:40

Well he was a class act taken from the higher stage seasons early. I wonder what he might have done had that not happened. We probably wouldn't have had an England number 3 problem... or Strauss might not have had such an illustrious carreer.

Maybe the county kept him fresh and moving. He hasn't been injured too much except for the feet. We have been very lucky.

The bigger question might be. If these two were producing so many, how come we weren't dominating CC1 then and who should we blame for that!!!!

All this batting analysis to try and show the massive effect of David Houghton in one season is fine now but what was been happening to the rest of the batting order for the last decade?

(Sm72)

Date: 11 September, 2017 08:51

Well at the time when Marcus was hammering all-comers a lot of the tracks were very favourable for batsmen.. which made it hard to win too many matches........... it's almost impossible to 'dominate,' a competition solely by dint of the antics of one's batsmen.

Had we been able to do so, we'd have been far better off playing our home games on spicier tracks because MT would probably still have been relatively dominant and the bowlers would have had more chance to win more games.

Part of the statistic for both Marcus and James is continuity of selection (especially in Hilderth's case and absence of England selection). Hildreth has almost never been injured and the one major injury he has ever had took out his off-season, not his season (just recently) and, of course, he's never been picked by England whereas others that have scored heavily have been selected (and often either succeeded for England and so been lost to the county game) or failed and suffered a hang-over/loss of confidence which has affected their county form.

Date: 25 September, 2017 22:56

Graham Onions has announced that he is leaving Durham at the end of the season, and is looking for a two-year contract with a new county.

He has just turned 35, but would surely be an excellent singing on this basis, especially for a county with highly promising young bowlers to mentor. Somerset?

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2017 23:42

No thanks.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net