Current Page: 1 of 5
Craig Overton in Ashes squad
Posted by: DeanSwift (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2017 21:14

well done Craig, fantastic news

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2017 21:25 by DeanSwift.

Re: Craig Overton in Asdhes squad
Posted by: JuliaW (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2017 21:20

Just seen that myself - great chance for him. Congrats indeed!

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2017 21:21

Huge congrats - massively deserved, IMO.

Go get 'em, Craig..

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2017 21:28

If true, fantastic news. Wouldn't mind having some more reliable source than The Sun before `I start celebrating?
Everywhere else says the decision, whatever it is, has been taken but there will be no announcement till tomorrow morning.
According to the Sun article Vince has been recalled (Westley dropped) and Crane chosen. Hmph.

Date: 26 September, 2017 21:39

Also reported in the Telegraph now. From memory the ECB always seem to leak the squads in advance of the official announcement?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2017 21:40 by JuliaW.

Re: Craig Overton in Ashes squad
Date: 26 September, 2017 21:56

Crane selection absurd.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2017 22:22

Really good news for Craig. But Jack??? What the Foakes

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2017 22:28

Delighted for Cove if true, is there a link?

Date: 26 September, 2017 22:31

Aggers tweet here - [twitter.com]

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2017 22:43

If this report is correct it could leave us rather short next season, with obvious doubts of full recovery of Lewis and Jamie.

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2017 22:47

Cheers Julia. Squad looks good, would have taken Hayles over Vince though.

Date: 26 September, 2017 22:53

Quite so, Roger.

I already thought we needed to add a seamer with Jove/LG/Green/Sale all injury prone. Now I think we might need to try to find two......

They don't exactly grow on trees, however.

Normally, I'd think Cove would probably just carry drinks - but there's so much injury potential and recent history amongst Jimmy/Broad/Stokes/Woakes that there's every chance that our man sees the park.

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2017 23:27

Confirmed by Telegraph, indeed.
I can hardly believe they've gone back to Vince after his all-show-no-substance displays last time around. Westley hasn't been entirely convincing as a Test No.3 but is every bit as pretty as Vince and surely has a bit more by way of application and stickability.
Why on earth are they not taking a third opener? Granted there are no candidates with overwhelming credentials (Duckett, Jennings, Hameed and Gubbins have all gone backwards a certain distance since this time last year), but surely someone who could open if Cook or Stoneman is injured (or out of form in the second case) and/or provide a bit of ballast at 3 would be a good idea?
Crane presumably is picked because he performed well in Australia last winter. I can see a certain logic there but am not sure I agree with it. He seems to have been in poor county form lately and has a career FC average of 42.

Anyway, many congratulations to Craig for an honour well-earned by a magnificent season as a bowler in variously trying circumstances. I imagine Jamie Porter may be feeling a bit disgruntled - but no more so than our boy Jack.

Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 00:25

Absolutely fantastic news (if true)
Everyone at the club should be immensely proud.
A true Somerset boy through and through, has come up the ranks, been superb for us this season & last and served his time on lions duty.
He bleeds Somerset, his attitude in the feild second to none. So noticeable how he is now a senior player & has grown so much this season.
He has become the true leader of our attack this year and this call up fully deserved & well earned.
Congratulations Craig, go show those Aussies what you can do!

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 01:14

So seamers don`t grow on trees, AG, but there are one or three currently available, aside from Graham Onions who is now destined for Lancashire.

Azharullah was Northants` third leading wicket-taker last year,and at 33 is not quite in the veteran ranks yet; Keith Barker (59 wickets and 608 runs last year) is rumoured to be restless at Warwickshire; Josh Shaw has had his good matches on loan from Yorkshire to Glo`shire; Matthew Dunn, who was on the England radar a year or two back, can`t get a game for Surrey; Matthew Quinn, a New Zealander with a UK passport, has been squeezed out of the Essex side this year despite 22 wickets in four matches last summer; Clifton-educated Brad Wheal can`t get a game for Hampshire after coming second in their bowling averages last year; Jack Shantry seems to have fallen out of favour at Worcestershire although he may have been injured; Ajmal Shahzad, a one-cap England wonder, has disappeared completely from the Sussex radar; Harry Podmore, 11 wickets in three matches for Middlesex last year, has been on loan more often than the Bank of England; James Fuller, who actually won the match for Middlesex at Taunton in 2016 with his batting, has been clocked at well over 90mph; Calum Haggett, a steady wicket-taker for Kent his season, might be persuaded to return to his home-town club.

Eleven seamers who might be classified as low-hanging fruit, but at least most if not all are available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/09/2017 01:23 by cricketjerry-mouse.

Posted by: brt1919 (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 01:40

It's brilliant news for Craig, but I don't really get all they fuss about playing CC1 if Crane goes ahead of Leach. The gap between their respective 2017 bowling figures couldn't be much further apart. If Leach loses out, then I struggle to see what difference it would make if he did end up bowling Div2 next year. It's not like Jack is an old style number 11 batsman either, he knows how to hit a ball.

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 02:26

Superb news for CO, who has to be congratulated on an excellent season. He & his family will no doubt, justifiably be chuffed as old boots !

Think he'll do well 'down under', but hopefully will get a hat full for us over the next couple of days first !

As for Jack. Well, keep playing for us Jack. If they indeed pick Mason C instead of JL, once again the ECB will demonstrate their capability to have put their heads where the sun doesn't shine.

Grizzzly

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 02:52

Tremendous news. Somerset through and through with a heart of oak and the precision of a laser. It makes the heart race. May the stumps fly. I thought after Thursday I might get a winter's break from these 3.00 a.m. mornings. Obviously not.

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 06:22

Damn you Craig. Now I'm going to have to shell out for BT Sport this winter when i was just going to make do with TMS!

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Date: 27 September, 2017 07:00

CJM- Matt Quinn has been injured all year - not squeezed out. I know this because he was on radio commentary of Essex vs Somerset.

IF Mr Maynard and Somerset both survive the season intact then one imagines the club will be interested in Keith Barker, given MM's long search for a left arm option.

Harry Podmore must, surely, have impressed Maynard in last season's Somerset vs Middx match. I, personally, would be pleased should we sign Harry.

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net