Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: Matt Maynard leaving Somerset
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 03:37

You are right AG not even you so how about you let it rest rather than extend it to two months before the end of the season instead. Myburgh didn't play. His nemesis according to you has gone and we weren't relegated because of it. All is fight with the world. Yawn.

(Sm72)

Posted by: warehamcricket (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 13:16

Often read posts but rarely post so my opinion might be different. Anyway for what it’s worth here it is. Like many others I’ve listened to people say, on my travels to away grounds and in Taunton, they don’t like MM for no other reason than his face didn’t seem to fit. I’m not in the know and have never been but my experience of life and employment tells me that any person in a high position is likely to have fallen out with senior members of staff, in this case players, and if they hadn’t then they might not have been doing their job properly. Of course I also know that good man management will keep these fallings out to a minimum. His team selections have been strange at times but I was never party to what had gone on on the training ground, I presume there was a reason for his course of action. The higher profile decisions this season re Hose going, Trego not playing and to an extent Ryan Davies’ treatment have I suspect put a bit of extra pressure on MM esp in the situation we found ourselves in at the start of August. Of course the big decision not to get a new number 2 or number 3 in the close season has come to haunt MM throughout the season. Yes I know Edgar filled it pretty well but we knew he would be gone in June and the way the Championship was scheduled meant that we face two thirds of the season without him. When we found ourselves in that predicament without Edgar I think, and I have no inside knowledge as to whether I am correct or not, I think MM thought we would likely be relegated and decided to give the youngsters the exposure to the pressure. Unlike Ashley Giles who seemed to accept relegation immediately he returned to Warwickshire in May and talked his side down continually MM didn’t do that and kept quiet but I think he was resigned to it. His failure to recruit a number 2/3 who would get 1000 runs ultimately sealed his fate.

But I am grateful to him for his time here. Much of the criticism was unfair and seemed more about prejudice than any particular failing. Had it rained at Lords last September on a certain day for just two hours or if the Yorkshire batting had some kind of a back bone then we might have been talking about him in a very different way. (I certainly felt that about the Lancashire batsmen at about 5.10pm on a certain afternoon many years ago!). And he gave the youngsters a chance some of whom will make it and others won’t, without MM we may never have known. And he gave Tom A his chance as captain and whilst his batting hasn’t been consistently good his captaincy has been pretty good with enough potential to think he could be an excellent captain as shown by how he has organised his bowlers this year esp towards the end when the cupboard was looking a bit bare!

So overall if MM is to be criticised then we should also acknowledge his successes and hope all Somerset fans can say “Thank you very much for your constant and continuing enthusiasm even at difficult times, thanks for always coming and facing up to us members when we might have been not too happy and for playing your part in giving us some of the most exciting Championship cricket over the past two years.” Good luck Matthew Maynard in whatever you decide to do next.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 13:50

Yorks batting had no backbone by design - it was no accident.

I suspect you're right that Maynard had resigned himself to the drop.

Thank heavens that the players were less fatalistic.

To be fair the original plan was that Elgar would come back for the second part of the season.

I can't say that I see anything unfair in the treatment of Ryan Davies unless, perhaps, he took Maynard's original and stupid guarantee of a starting place to be sone sort of open-ended commitment. Given that Davies and Davies are equal behind the stumps but that Steven is the far superior batsman then I personally never expected to see Ryan much once we'd signed Steve and I can't really see how he could possibly have felt hard done by, if indeed he did (I have no info that he did)

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 15:54

Thanks warehamcricket for a very fair and balanced acknowledgement of MM's contribution while with Somerset.

LoL

Sixty-nine Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 16:27

Thanks for that thoughtful and balanced post, warehamcricket. It is my practice not to cricitise DoCs, coaches and the like, unless I have specific grounds for feeling that they have shortcomings - I am conscious that supporters see only the tip of the iceberg and are unlikely to have any idea about (for example) their motivational qualities behind the scenes. Even comments from those who are on the inside cannot necessarily be regarded as disinterested.

Date: 05 October, 2017 11:52

AGod, the treatment of Ryan Davies wasn’t meant to be a criticism of MM. I meant more that after difficult times in 2016 I thought he had come through well. The signing of Steve Davies obviously meant he wouldn’t play as much in 2017 but it appeared he had fallen even further down the list and with the form Steve Davies gradually grew into meant that for a few seasons he would be limited in his appearances and for a young man perhaps he didn’t want that. I feel he was unfortunate to have fought his way into form last year and almost discarded this. I guess it’s all about opinions and perceptions and mine might be a bit different and like you I have no idea if he felt hard done by.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 13:47

Ryan Davies average 83 from 18 games for WSM this season

[wsmcc.play-cricket.com]

Date: 05 October, 2017 16:30

The other factor was probably the development of Tom Banton earlier than expected Wareham. This at a time when Ryan was struggling to buy a run.

(Sm72)

Date: 05 October, 2017 18:44

It's quite exciting that all of Banton, Lammonby and Trenouth are off on the Young Lions tour. We seem to have more England youth group representation than for some considerable time.

Posted by: Slow Left Chinaman (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 18:56

Quote:
Somerset LaLaLa
Ryan Davies average 83 from 18 games for WSM this season

But what was his average against professional bowlers last season? It's unfortunate for him, but as soon as we signed Steve Davies (FC average of 40), he was obviously not going to get a look in, with his FC average of 17.

We'll see if anyone else wants to take a punt on him now in the close season, but I wouldn't count on it.

Date: 05 October, 2017 19:03

I thought the story was that he was quitting the game entirely?

Date: 06 October, 2017 10:58

Yes Grockle the development of Tom Banton meant RD was falling even further down the list and was exactly what I meant. Perhaps it is a sign of the times that being a good keeper isn’t enough now, you have to be able to bat consistently, preferably with an average over 40 or at least 35. I think it’s a shame he is gone,there was loads of potential in him. (Yes I know potential isn’t enough.) But whatever, we move on. Good luck Ryan.

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 11:21

I still maintain we could have had Steve Davies playing as a batsman at 5, with Michael Bates keeping and batting at 10. Hey ho, that bird has flown...

Date: 06 October, 2017 11:40

True. I hope he hasn't given up on the game at that level. In the 2016 seasonn his batting and his enthusiasm helped us out of a scrape or two. Who knows, had Steve D's 4 day form not hit a brick wall he may have got some one day games and got his foot in.

Local potential tends to trump incoming potential unless you are wearing the shirt and someone needs to knock you out of the position.

But just because it didn't happen here doesn't mean it can't.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Railboy (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 11:41

When Ryan eventually was brought in last season he was bizarrely asked to open the batting at 10.30 on a steamy morning and greasy wicket against (if I recall) Fidel Edwards and Kyle Abbott. That evidence was then used as some sort of “told you so”.

Date: 06 October, 2017 11:44

He was a little on the niaive side to start with which certainly suggested a level of inexperience.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 13:13

I would also add a lack of Maturity to your posting Grockle.

Pity really I thought he had plenty of potential, but comments he made to members at a couple of functions, showed he was not willing to learn from his superiors.

Date: 06 October, 2017 13:16

Wouldn't know about that Roger but if true it's not recipe for success and progress I suppose. Maybe a few lessons learned this season though.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2017 13:17 by Grockle.

Date: 06 October, 2017 13:56

Quite right, SP, about S Davies/Bates.

And yes, Railboy, MM's decision to suddenly plunge RD into opening in that game vs Hants was:

a) Bizarre in the extreme.

b) A wholly predictable failure.

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 17:11

SP if Steven Davies had wanted to bat 5 and not keep wicket he probably wouldn't have moved from Surrey

Current Page: 8 of 10
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net