Cameron Bancroft
Posted by: somexile (IP Logged)
Date: 22 December, 2017 10:09

overseas player for 2018.

Re: Cameron Bancroft
Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 December, 2017 10:39

Yep, just had an email from the club.

Good signing, I wish him a good season with Somerset.

Posted by: sfwithers (IP Logged)
Date: 22 December, 2017 11:36

Yep, happy with that - here's to 2018!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/12/2017 11:37 by sfwithers.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 22 December, 2017 16:30

In case you haven't read it Ere 'tis

Somerset Sign Cameron Bancroft

Somerset County Cricket Club are delighted to announce the signing of Cameron Bancroft for 2018.

The 25-year-old Australian batsman, currently opening the batting against England in the Ashes, will be joining the County as our overseas player and he will be available, importantly, for the majority of the campaign, as Somerset Director of Cricket Andy Hurry explains: “Cameron will be available, subject to permission from Cricket Australia, for the start of the 2018 Specsavers County Championship season, all of the Royal London One-Day Cup fixtures plus the six remaining Championship matches that take place after the T20 Blast group stages. This will provide us with the continuity that we are looking for from an overseas signing.

“After a thorough process, designed to ensure that we secure the best fit for our Specsavers County Championship and Royal London One-Day Cup needs, I am delighted that we have signed Cameron. He has come very highly recommended and will fit seamlessly into our environment. This will be a key ingredient to us achieving our aspirations of winning silverware.

“Cameron has the appetite and the temperament for scoring big hundreds. He really values the price of his wicket, is mentally tough and highly driven to succeed.”

Bancroft made his international debut in this winter’s first Ashes Test, making an eye-catching 82 in Australia’s second innings. He also has an impressive record in first class cricket with a top score of 228 not out.

After making the decision to sign for Somerset, Cameron said: “I’m really excited to be joining a county with so much potential. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Somerset from Justin Langer and it’s clear that they are a team heading in the right direction. There’s a long history of Australian’s doing well at Taunton, so hopefully I can add my name to that list.”

If for nothing else but future reference.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 22 December, 2017 22:49

Banger and Bangers to open

Posted by: RadstockRob (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2017 00:20

Glos cast off.

No thanks

Don't care how good he is he's in with the enemy.

T

Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2017 08:21

Lets hop he is more Kirby than Hussain!

Posted by: That Bloke With The Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2017 09:53

Did Gloucs offer him another contract after two years of failure there?

I have no idea, but I doubt it somehow.

His string of low scores against the England swing bowlers since then hasn't exactly enhanced his reputation either. The first thing that entered my mind when I read the news of his signing was the interview he did with Daniel Brettig on Cricinfo a couple of weeks ago: the one where he basically held his hands up and admitted he hadn't yet worked out a way to play the moving ball.

"I think I've gained a little bit of confidence from playing different periods so far in the Test series and hopefully I can keep learning from them and keep getting better.

"The last couple of years I've been able to play some county cricket in England where the ball does move a lot more sideways - swing and off the wickets as well. I've gone through ups and downs there and patches where I've done really, really well. That's an important part of developing a good game plan for things like that. No matter what's going on, it's bloody hard when the ball's swinging like that. You can have the best game plan in the world, it can be a ball with your name on it.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Reading that, you'd wonder who's supposed to benefit more from this deal? The fans at Taunton or the Australian team when they come here to defend the Ashes?

On the other hand ... the signing is presumably the result of the close relationship between Andy Hurry and Justin Langer, Bancroft's coach at Western Australia, and I can't think of a duo I'd trust more to have the interests of Somerset CCC at heart (and they definitely know more about cricket than I do). So I'll be no less hopelessly optimistic than I usually am when he and Tres walk out together for the first time next April.

(I just wish there were some Championship cricket in high summer though, where Bancroft might encounter the sort of conditions in which he scored that double century for Western Australia which got him in the Test side.)

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2017 10:19

Has Hurry had a good track record with Somerset in the past? Let's hope he got this one right though I am not holding my breath.

We signed Bancroft and are stuck with that decision. Gone are the days when you could sign a top class overseas player for a whole season, those days will never return.

Frankly I wouldn't be too disappointed if the much maligned E C B put a complete ban on overseas players. It's a good financial deal for them, but collectively they do little to enhance county cricket.

Was Kirby a success wsm? Admittedly more so than Hussain, but hardly worth writing home about was he?

(Sm24)

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2017 10:29

Nothing like a bit of Christmas cheer, eh Tom. I wish Bancroft every success - not for the next couple of weeks so much, but from April onwards. He's young, he's an Aussie Test opener, he has some experience of English first class cricket, Langer rates him and he appears to be available for virtually all the important cricket next summer. That'll do for me.

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2017 20:18

Feeling a trifle underwhelmed t.b.h., but wish CB well & hope he gets a sackful of runs for us next year.

Let's face it, after our 2017 efforts at the top end, he doesn't have much to beat !

Grizzzly

Posted by: warehamcricket (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2017 21:59

Well, we were complaining this time last year and all through last winter that we perhaps hadn’t made the signing of a batsman to go at number 1/2 or number 3. Yes I know we signed Elgar but that was only for half the season. And the lack of that batsman signing came back to haunt us all last season with near disastrous consequences. I think it’s good to see Hurry act decisively and make what looks like a good signing in my opinion. With him and Langer having a good relationship with good evidence in the past makes me very hopeful that they have our well-being at heart. He will play all Championship and one-day cricket so we’ll get good continuity.
Understand the concern about him not doing too well at Gloucestershire but tbh who has over the past few years. If we are going to complain about this signing then we might complain about any signing. Coming into Somerset will be very different with good support, high expectations and a well run club. I get the impression that players see Somerset very positively. Let’s hope he will rise to the occasion. Good signing, well done Somerset and all concerned. Big sign of our intent and could even act as a sign to others about our intent.

Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2017 23:53

Stuck with that decision Tom!? You really are full of festive cheer.
I think its as good as we can expect.
Yorkshire have got Kane for 4 champos & 11 T20's.
What would the reaction have been if we'd done that? Outrage i assume?
The big big names just are not available properly.
If JL says he's the next big thing. The Aussie selectors rate him in their top 2 openers & he's available Apr-Sept i think its superb & just what we need.
Good luck Cameron

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 24 December, 2017 09:31

Bancroft's record for Gloucestershire suggests that, in English conditions, Eddie Byrom is better than he is (Byrom hasn't been batting against poor Div Two bowling, remember).

If we're going to go back to playing on very flat pitches, then Bancroft might make loads of runs (but so might everyone else, in which case he would still not be better than what we already have). But with high summer games absent then even if we play on tracks devoid of mischief at home then there are still seven away games to play, plus ambient conditions may create plenty of swing in some of the home games, too.

p.s. Until I read it on here, I had no idea that Bancroft had even been playing for Gloucs, which is an indication of how nondescript his efforts were, I think.

On paper this is a highly questionable move and we shall have to hope that the situation on grass proves to be somewhat different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2017 09:44 by AGod.

Date: 24 December, 2017 09:38

I have held the view for some time that, unless somebody of obvious quality is available as an overseas pro, then a club would be better taking whatever the budget is for an overseas player and either using it to recruit domestically or going the Kolpak route (at least Kolpaks are, by definition, available throughout, whilst quality overseas players almost never are).

Perhaps we have already gone through those options and found that zero decent domestic players or Kolpaks are available and interested in joining us and so we've had to plump for a guy who has failed in CC2 instead? But, again, if that's the case it's not clear why he is supposed to be better than Eddie Byrom in our conditions?

He might come with 'Justin Langer's recommendation,' but is Justin primarily motivated to help Australia or Somerset? As an earlier poster said, this move is liable to be further good experience for Bancroft but my fear is that it will be of more benefit to him than it will be to us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2017 09:46 by AGod.

Date: 24 December, 2017 09:49

More generally, this club faces obvious potential issues at the top of the order moving forward:

Trescothick is 92.

Byrom may throw in his lot with Zimbabwe.
Tim Rouse didn't convince.

What are the plans for Tom Abell? Is it intended that he will just stay down the order at number five?

Given this little lot above then one would think that our main priority ought to be to see if we can find a way to get Eddie Byrom to go the England route instead (so that he would remain available to us).

If Byrom is now going to bat at three all year (or Bancroft is) then that's okay. But if the effect of this change is that Byrom will often be out of the first XI, then this would be most unlikely to encourage him to throw in his lot with England and, thus, should be avoided.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 24 December, 2017 10:15

Somerset has done well in the past with the less known internationals rather than the lauded 'big names' we've signed. We didn't get some of them when they were 'big' but took an earlier shot on them.

I'd rather he was a Jamie Cox than a Jayasuriya and was a solid regular rather than an inconsistent 'occasional'. We need a 'rock' rather than 'rock'n'roll' celebrity

(Sm72)

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 24 December, 2017 10:28

"Stuck with that decision Tom!? You really are full of festive cheer."

Of course the club are "stuck with it" wsm, having got him to put pen to paper. Do you think we can just say "You aren't up to it" and sign someone else as a replacement? Give me strength even at Christmas time.

"The big big names just are not available properly."

Just as I have already said, and the point of my previous posting.

"If JL says he's the next big thing."

Who's that, Jack Leach or Justin Langer, as if I didn't know. Langer was alleged to have said some duplicitous things when he was here as captain, so I take everything coming from him with a lorry full of salt. He is not an Australian selector is he, and after the second Test in Adelaide sections of the Australian media were calling loudly for Bancroft to be dropped, but he wasn't.

We could do with another bowler IMO, because too many of our squad have recurring sick notes issued. Bowlers win matches, and if we are going to return to playing on the M555 motorway, we need somebody other than Leach and Bess to dig the opposition out.

Not the most exhilarating signing but plenty to monitor in the months ahead.

Three cheers for the Happy Clappies.
Hip, hip (Sm152) Hip, hip (Sm152) Hip, hip (Sm24)

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: Angell Face (IP Logged)
Date: 24 December, 2017 11:32

Bancroft has experience of English conditions over two seasons, in the second of which he averaged over 40, albeit in Div. 2. so I'm not sure his record can be described as "poor". He then gets selected to open for Australia. He's only 25 and seems to be improving. Doesn't seem too bad a pedigree to me but then, I'm one of the "happy clappies".

Date: 24 December, 2017 12:01

One innings at the end, an unbeaten double ton vs Kent AF, was overwhelmingly responsible for that average. A dead-rubber of a game at the end of the season. During the rump of the season, when things were being decided? He managed to average all of about 26, which is deeply unconvincing.

Overall, he showed very little consistency for the vast majority of his time at Gloucs.

He will need to improve, hand over fist, compared to what he showed at Gloucs to be of use to Somerset. Let us fervently hope that he does so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2017 13:27 by AGod.

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net