Current Page: 4 of 27
Re: Cameron Bancroft
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2017 20:01

Read back Tom. I've been saying it for years. Our self confidence is fragile, our consistency can be poor and morale can be affected quickly if early results go against us.

You are the one with the single shade glasses even though you think it is others who have single optimistic views of things and you criticise them for it,

I've been dealing with and writing about the realism of the situation for a looong time - you just can't see it with those big black blinkers of yours on.

I suppose the difference is I can also see shafts of light and progress when it is made rather than simply shifting to other areas of blackness should anything have the audacity to go right.

Self confidence can be improved, results bring morale and consistency creates unit strength.

The good and the bad. The Yang and the Yang. Look for it occasionally

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2017 20:04 by Grockle.

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 30 December, 2017 04:15

Boycs. has just been commentating on the 'pancake' wicket at Melbourne & suggesting that CB will struggle on English wickets this summer, given the considerably greater movement off the pitch.

Hope he is wrong, but difficult to argue with his logic.

Grizzzly

Date: 30 December, 2017 08:55

Well we are going to see one way or the other now and at least he'll have seen some of the conditions before so should know what to expect.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 31 December, 2017 17:01

If Bancroft had signed for Yorks, Boycott would be bigging him up (as would some on here).

Date: 31 December, 2017 17:13

Of course they would. He'd be 'another' prospect we had failed to sign. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Let's hope he comes and does a job and is welcomed as a Somerset player who has obviously NOT come all this way to fail and will be working hard to do the contract justice.

(Sm72)

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 04 January, 2018 23:41

Steve Smith has expressed an interest in playing county cricket in the near future (in today's i, which is presumably everybody's i+0.01 given nowadays' social media).

Could do no harm for someone from Somerset to get in touch with him before too many other counties start thinking about their 2019 overseas option?

Surely young Steve must have a healthy respect for Justin Langer and Chris Rogers, which could do no harm.

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 05 January, 2018 02:42

Based on current form, I'd feel a good deal happier if SS was our overseas player for 2018 !

Grizzzly

Posted by: geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
Date: 05 January, 2018 07:48

Can I put my neck on the block and say that if Smith plays for a county this summer (Surrey???) he will end up below Bancroft in the averages.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 05 January, 2018 11:01

Lovely thought, GM, and so obviously based on careful analysis and rationality. I am bound to respect someone as wise and experienced as you and so will ask you to move along that block to make room for my neck as well.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 05 January, 2018 12:32

Well Smith won't be pulling on a baggy brown this year as Surrey already have their overseas players signed up - Mitch Marsh in all formats and Aaron Finch for the T20.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 05 January, 2018 14:08

Bancroft lasted 7 balls but Elgar only 3 in the SA test today. So Bancroft is better than Elgar...

Posted by: That Bloke With The Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 05 January, 2018 14:58

At least it doesn't look as though Somerset need worry about accusations of giving an Australian opener experience of English conditions before the Ashes. Bancroft's Test career is surely now over.

Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 05 January, 2018 15:18

Yep what a crazy signing.
Its now 2018 and he still hasnt scored a run this year.
Personally i couldnt give a monkeys how many he gets until Apr20.
Jim was great before we signed him, then look what happened!
Chris Rogers was hailed best signing ever, his first 8 or 10 Somerset matches didnt go to plan with bat.

If he does fall out test picture that makes him hungrier when we have him and potentially more available too?

Maybe we give him a chance in a Somerset shirt first

Date: 05 January, 2018 17:19

Yes. We do have to look at his present and past records but he starts his career as a Somerset player in about 4 months and we have seen that past records don't mean much to those arriving in Taunton.

He's ours. He will be in a Somerset shirt and we will pick him. Then we will all expect results. It would be nice for it to go a different way this year.

(Sm72)

Posted by: That Bloke With The Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 05 January, 2018 18:36

Dan Brettig's cricinfo column on Bancroft makes grim reading, not just in terms of his flawed technique against the moving ball, but in the description of his mental state.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Having said that, the fact is that Bancroft first made his national side in the T20 format. Maybe he could be persuaded that a move down the order and big runs in the English summer might play to his strengths and resurrect his Test prospects. And it would mean the club could retain the Byrom/Trescothick partnership up top. It would be a shame not to cash in on all the hard work it took last year to make that finally work. By the first innings of the Middx game it looked like a pairing you could do business with.

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 January, 2018 20:59

Yep, you're right - nothing better to show for his summer than 76 and 86 against the Aussies Test attack, 200+ in his next Shield Game followed by a mere 82 in the fourth innings of the first Test. Bancroft is clearly rubbish and it's already obvious we've wasted our money.No reason at all why we should trust anything Andy Hurry, Justin Langer or the Aus Test selectors think - though I will welcome him and wish the lad every success from April onwards.

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 06 January, 2018 00:48

Rather obviously, the young man in question is a pretty useful player or he would not have beens selected for the Australian Test side.
Equally obviously, he has flaws or he would not be human.
We could of course just wait and see how he does for Somerset.
In passing, he has a considerably more distinguished track record than either Greg Chappell or Viv Richards had when we first hired them.

Date: 06 January, 2018 05:38

But he comes into a side where we already have an opener who just doesn't move his feet!! How can we work with all these technical frailties?

(Sm72)

Posted by: Angell Face (IP Logged)
Date: 06 January, 2018 10:08

I shall be just a little disappointed if Byrom is moved from the opener's spot. I thought that temperamentally and technically he looked well equipped as an opening bat. Put Bancroft in at number 3.

Date: 06 January, 2018 10:21

And Tom at 4/5?

Trescothick, Byrom, Bancroft, Abell, Hildreth,

George Bartlett might find it a fight to get in if we hit form.

Steve Davis at 6? Lewis at 7?

(Sm72)

Current Page: 4 of 27
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net