Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Cameron Bancroft
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 25 December, 2017 21:54

Better than nothing I suppose and an apology for the original unwarranted insult was probably too much to expect.

(Sm72)

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 26 December, 2017 21:37

So, no answer to my request for a hypothetical scenario in which, etc. There's a surprise.

Tom, you have no idea how one-eyed or two-eyed a supporter I am. As it happens I tend for the most part to express my enthusiasm when Somerset do well, and keep my disappointment to myself when they do badly, which does not make it any less keenly felt. I see no problem with this approach.

Let's try another straight question. How do you square your (implied) view that Somerset's less senior players so lack the moral fibre of Middlesex's that if relegated they would have been rushing to sign for Div 1 counties, with a) the fact of the Overtons signing new contracts back in August and b) your explicit view that at least three of them (Somerset's younger players, not Overtons, just to make that quite clear) aren't worth keeping anyway?

By all means feel free to respond with some devastating putdown involving the word 'umpire' if you find that more satisfactory than a straight answer.

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 26 December, 2017 22:15

Request what you wish Mikeindex, but as I don't know what you are talking about you are proverbially wasting your time.

I'm sure you have more important things to do.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Date: 26 December, 2017 23:15

Aren't you the poster who criticises others for their lack of comprehension?

Please don't do that in future if you can't understand pretty simple posts yourself.

It seems to be simply another example of your usual tactic of reverting to insults when you find an argument beyond you because it is clear and simple and requires a straightforward answer - not your forte it seems.

(Sm72)

Posted by: RadstockRob (IP Logged)
Date: 27 December, 2017 04:07

Thanks Tom.Your a star!

As I got up at 03.00 to watch The Ashes I could do with a good laugh an hour later!

You never fail to entertain Tom!

Grockles is not compulsary you know.

You'd like it there.

Posted by: geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
Date: 27 December, 2017 08:24

I am at a loss to see how this thread has got where it has. We have signed=for a whole season-the Australian opening batsman. It matters not what he did elsewhere at a different time.It can do nothing but strengthen our squad. Of course he will have failures, perhaps right at the beginning,but it seems to me a good piece of business.

Date: 27 December, 2017 10:15

I think most of us see it the same way Geordie and we won't have any idea until the season starts anyway except for his performances in the second half of this Test and the last one if he is picked for it.

Not sure where the scepticism is coming from......

(Sm72)

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 27 December, 2017 10:44

"How this thread has got where it has?"

It is the usual result when a 3 - way war breaks out between the Gloom and Doomers, the Happy Clappies and the Wind Up boys and girls. None of it resolves anything save for providing a laugh to some people.

Back to the subject of the thread, Cameron Bancroft. Greg Chappell came to us as I believe a 19-year-old unknown, and after 2 years experience with us was soon making his name on the World stage. If one were looking for up and coming batting starlets, then I am sure India would be a good place to start. But, in order to qualify as an overseas registration nowadays, do not players have to have played x number of Tests within the last y number of years? I confess to not being fully au fait with the current registration requirements.

Bancroft may be OK, probably no more than that, but as has been said previously, is he the sort of performer that we most need, or was he the best we could afford from the 'For Sale' shelf? I still would have preferred a strike bowler to whittle away the opposition on the soon to be discovered batsmen's paradise pitches at Taunton.

Wishful thinking I know, rather like the hope that the County Championship will come to Taunton any day soon.

Date: 27 December, 2017 11:08

Maybe he was signed precisely because he was what we needed.

As much as I'd love to agree that a penetrative leftie is the bit we are missing, until the batting order shows a spine and the ability to pass 200 consistently without the tail offering a helping hand we need to bolster the batting.

The planners may have more sense than some credit them with.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 27 December, 2017 15:30

Saw my Gloucestershire mate yesterday who said Bancroft was less than inspiring, reeling off a set of low scores from last season. Verdict there was an average player

Date: 27 December, 2017 16:25

"An average player"?

Should feel very much at home here then.

Date: 27 December, 2017 18:27

Well I'm sure he'll appreciate the average support he gets from some to spur him on.

We've had exceptional players in the past who have done very little (though Sanath did win us one important game and Mahela did have his moments. The 'mystery spinner'? Not a lot there until the World Cup appeared.

Maybe an 'average player' (who was decent enough to be picked to open for his country) may do better than expected.

He's in and signed. More than one side of 'average' players has won trophies that sides with a few blazing stars couldn't get near. Dermot was brought here because achieved that and I seem to remember that Glos (who you were lauding not a few hours ago Tom) did amazing things with that 'average' side they had.

Skill levels are one thing. It's the consistency and the side playing as a unit that achieves most things.

(Sm72)

Posted by: RadstockRob (IP Logged)
Date: 28 December, 2017 04:08

Up at silly o’clock and Tom Seymour some humour!
3 degrees here in Paignton.
BT Sports keeps dropping out so listening on 5live Extra,

I’ll give it a go after tea.

Date: 28 December, 2017 07:08

A brief discussion about Bancroft and 'technical' issues this afternoon. Not sure what they are, there wss a suggestion of dealing with short stuff on here.

He needs to have a net with Stuart Broad and get some pointers.

(Sm72)

Date: 28 December, 2017 10:42

Don't worry, cos we have got Jamie Overton, when he is fit, to give him a workout in the nets.

All is not lost.

Date: 28 December, 2017 10:49

"Up at silly o’clock and Tom Seymour some humour!"

If I crack you up as much as you claim, then you must be well and truly cracked by now, RadstockRob.

Try and get some rest, perhaps you need it.

Date: 28 December, 2017 13:15

Yep. Jamie would be a real surprise if Mr Bancroft thinks the guys he has already faced are the quickest we have.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2017 09:37

b Woakes 27 (and Craig has got him previously) tells me his technical issues are against right handed fast-medium pace bowlers. The fact he has not made an impression since Brisbane / the Autumn suggests there might be a confidence issue as well. South Africa will have seen this and he may not get picked for the tour there

Date: 29 December, 2017 12:58

Well we ought to hope he does because he will need to instill confidence in our middle order and not join it with self confidence issues - we have enough of them on an annual basis.

(Sm72)

Date: 29 December, 2017 15:35

"Middle order"? I thought he was an opener.

First time I've heard you saying we have had "confidence issues" on a yearly basis. Better man the lifeboats - we're sinking!

(Sm44)

Current Page: 3 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net