Current Page: 5 of 61
Re: 2018 SOMERSET RELATED NEWS
Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2018 14:02

The commercial people at the club don't miss a trick do they?

Within the last week we have had both a funeral and a wedding take place at the County Ground according to the club's website.

As far as BMD's are concerned, I just hope they do not initiate a maternity unit on site. Cricket? What has that to do with anything?

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2018 14:22

Tom, I am not sure the Funeral of Mike Coggin was an opportunity for the Club to profit, but more an opportunity to pay respect to a very long standing club supporter who over the years helped raise a lot of money for the club.

However that said personally I welcome the ground being utilized in the close season for as many functions as possible. As has been pointed out many times, the club will not survive on Cricket Income alone.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2018 14:46

Wait until the "Vitality" Blast starts!!

Looking at the tweets and stuff I think the funeral was a particularly special event for those involved, A well respected and popular member of the SCCC family given a particular 'cricket' sendoff.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 14:48 by Grockle.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2018 14:56

What a great place for a funeral! Can I book a place now? I'll confirm the date a little nearer the time. (It will, of course, after we have won the champtionship, so may involve some hanging around)

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Date: 07 February, 2018 18:26

Roger, I did know that about Mike Coggan and perhaps it was a little disrespectful of me to mention it in the way I did. So apologies if it caused any hurt or offence.

Mike was certainly a passionate follower of the club and with his wife travelled extensively to watch them. I always had a pleasant word with him whenever we bumped into each other, even if I sometimes resisted his attempts to rid me of some of my money for a club jackpot or player's benefit. Many, many years ago I played cricket against him somewhere on the Quantocks. Was it Lydeard St. Lawrence or Fitzhead? I can't remember.

May he RIP.

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2018 22:00

I attended Mike Coggin’s funeral. It will remain long in the memory. I doubt the memory will ever go. For anyone who was not at the funeral and would like to know a bit more about the day here is how I experienced it:

I knew it would be something special as I walked through Goodland Gardens. I wasn’t the only one walking with a purpose. As I reached the bridge and crossed the road towards St James’ Street I saw a sight I have not seen before. Among the usual mix of people going about their business were numbers of suited men and smartly dressed women all walking with a similar purpose. Some followed on from behind me, others from along North Street and more still from the Station Road direction. Others were already walking along St James’ Street with that same earnest purpose. All slightly bent into their walk for all the world like the crowd heading for Burnden Park in L.S. Lowry’s ‘Going to the Match’. I will never think of that great painting again without remembering that day.

I caught up with a man who turned to me and said, “It’s like it all over the town centre. You don’t have to ask where they are all going do you?” He didn’t say who “they” were or where they were going. He didn’t need to. Neither did either of us need to ask where the other was going. We just walked together in silence to the ground. There the people who had come past the church joined the ones who had come from Canon Street and we formed one group who passed through the ground past the Caddick Pavilion to see others coming through the Priory Bridge Road gate.

It was clear to me by this time I would be standing for the ceremony and I was, I and about 150 or more others squeezed in at the back of the scoreboard end of the County Room and along the windows. Another 250 were seated.

The coffin was carried up the Colin Atkinson Pavilion terrace opposite the bar and into the room to the strains of the Test Match Special theme. The pall bearers were Marcus Trescothick, James Hildreth, Peter Trego, Andy Caddick, Keith Parsons and Rob Turner. As far as I could tell every other current squad player who was in the country lined the wall opposite the windows. Members of the Club staff were in attendance including Lee Cooper who stood in the crush at the back with the rest of us.

The ceremony started on the stroke of eleven when at another time of the year the umpires might have called “Play”. A pint of cider was placed on the coffin for the duration of the service. The weather outside, at least from behind glass, looked perfect for batting. There were tributes from two friends. Richard Parsons paid a short finely judged tribute and the Club Chaplain read one on behalf of the family.

I can recall a time when I did not know Mike Coggin. I can recall the time when I did. I cannot quite recall how or when the one turned into the other. What I am fairly sure of is it would have started with him ‘pulling my leg’. I would have responded in kind and the joust would have been underway. I cannot recall who most often had the last word but I don’t remember it ever having been me. I can also say I am a richer man spiritually from having known him and a poorer one financially for having not avoided him when he was collecting for some cause or other. I have a Somerset tie I have owned for over forty years and when I wear a Somerset tie I wear no other. Whatever possessed me to buy a James Hildreth benefit tie from Mike Coggin I will never know.

The ceremony was a warm and gentle event that was Somerset through and through. I doubt any of us who knew Mike Coggin, and I only knew him through Somerset cricket and only at the cricket, could quite believe he would soon be leaving the ground for the last time. As the ceremony ended I saw someone who posts on here and with whom I talk much at the cricket. We spoke but briefly as we walked outside for nothing really needed to be said and we were both deep in thought for a giant of Somerset cricket had just ended his innings.

The pall bearers carried the coffin back through the doors and down the terrace this time to the singing of ‘Blackbird’’. The hearse waited just beyond the boundary edge. It slowly made its way from the ground through a guard of honour of the pall bearers and the first team squad holding bats aloft in salute and to applause from the 400 mourners which continued undiminished until Mike Coggin had left the ground. Players who come to Somerset often remark the Club feels like a family. On this day you knew what they meant.

The first day of the season will not feel quite the same this year but Mike Coggin will be there in the minds of those whose cricket watching days he blessed with that impish smile, warm welcome and gentle disarming pull of the leg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2018 18:15 by Farmer White.

Date: 08 February, 2018 04:04

Many tweeted tributes occured on the day and I particularly liked the guard of honour with the bats either on Mike's arrival or departure.

Nice to see a local club getting involved to such a level and a fitting tribute to a man who seemingly lived for the game and the county. He would have loved every munute of it.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 February, 2018 08:26

I hope to see Mary, Mike's wife today at the members lunch to offer my sadness at her lose.

I believe it was Mary's idea to have these members lunches, and they have been a great success.
The last I heard 74 members have booked a place for today's lunch.

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 08 February, 2018 19:16

That was a very fine tribute paid to Mike Coggin by you, Farmer White - a tribute richly deserved.

I have seen video clips and photographs of the main points that Farmer made, but as Mike left the ground for the last time I saw that there was a flag draped over his coffin. It would have been appropriate for it to have been Somerset's official flag, but I was unsure as to whether it was.

As others have said, may he RIP.

Date: 09 February, 2018 17:12

Sadly, I don't get to the county ground as often as I would like and I am unable to recall Mike Coggin, though I probably saw him on a number of occasions. It seems that he got the fine send-off that he clearly deserved and I feel pride that our county club, through the involvement of its players and officials, demonstrated all that is best about it on the day of the funeral.

LoL

Posted by: Old Boy! (IP Logged)
Date: 09 February, 2018 17:34

I regret I couldn't get to the funeral.

I have known Mike and Mary for nearly 60 years since her hey-day as the main stay of the West Somerset League when she was involved very much with Huish Champflower and I was playing for Taunton and later Taunton Deane. She has been a wonderful stalwart of the County Ground since those early days.

Mike and I "crossed swords" in the nicest possible way when I was a sprogg football referee and Mike and his brothers were the hard men of Stogumber in the 60s. If he was around to hear me repeat this story he would have a laugh.

One horrible wet Saturday I had to referee a local derby at Stogumber - I can't remember the other team. After a pretty rough old game in which I wasn't able to make myself very popular, one of the locals came up to me and said "You were bl--dy lucky old son - last week the poor bl--dy referee was greeted at the end of the match with a bloke coming with a rope and a noose. The poor ref fainted and had to be carried to the dressing room as it was"!

Old Boy!

Posted by: WTE (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2018 08:43

When I lived in Sussex and most of my Somerset watching was limited to away games, I met Mike Coggin on numerous occasions, not that I knew what he was called until the reports of his funeral, he was always friendly and we usually had a chat about this and that and matters Somerset as semi regular away supporters. During the rain break at the 2005 20/20 final, at the Oval I remember spending the extended rain break before the final, with him and Richard Parsons (father of Keith) in a bar beneath the press box which involved partaking of some alcoholic beverage which resulted in missing Girls Aloud (no real loss) and a slight haziness about the course of the final. Good bloke sadly missed.

Date: 10 February, 2018 11:07

Dispel rumours quickly.

The Richard Parsons who is now club President is not the father of Keith Parsons, and neither is Keith's father called Richard.

Date: 10 February, 2018 19:08

Quote:
Tom Seymour
Dispel rumours quickly.
The Richard Parsons who is now club President is not the father of Keith Parsons, and neither is Keith's father called Richard.

Correct but easy mistake. Keith and Kevin (twins) father was Alan who was a very talented batsman who in another era may well have played upto county standard. Alan's Dad was Tom and we all worked for PO Telephones (later BT) for many years.

Old Boy!

Date: 11 February, 2018 04:02

Correction... when you say '...we all worked for PO Telephones...' I didn't(Sm160)(Sm151)

(Sm72)

Date: 11 February, 2018 09:53

Apologies Paul! I has always assumed that you never worked for anyone! Just lay in the sun in foreign parts when you weren't beating down the bracken on the Quantocks!! (Sm100)(Sm120)

Old Boy!

Date: 11 February, 2018 16:10

Oh that it were so OB! Though I may be giving work a miss next year so....

(Sm72)

Date: 11 February, 2018 17:55

Good to see that England's finest slow left arm bowler is in the Lions side in a match agains West Indies A starting today.

LoL

Posted by: flanneledfool (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 13:24

Is there a photo of Mike Coggins so longstanding supporters can see if they knew the face!

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 14:29

This is the club's website account of his funeral : -

[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

Current Page: 5 of 61
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net