Current Page: 2 of 37
Re: 2018 SOMERSET RELATED NEWS
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2018 12:43

A month ago I was hearing 'Notts or Somerset'.

Signing Northeast wouldn't block the youngsters, as this must surely be Trescothick's last year.

You've got to get in quick when you hear a good player is looking for a move.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2018 12:48

He's been given permission to talk to other counties. Where would he go in our setup?

Interesting to see what the bosses say at the AGM next Monday.

(Sm72)

Date: 17 January, 2018 12:51

You may think it is the last one Chunky... but it has been said before. The youngsters are already there one has to say. Bartlett, Banton, Trenouth with Byrom already looking to be in.

I'm not sure where he fits or, to be honest, personally particularly impressed by him.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2018 13:43

Laughing at all the Surrey supporters on Twitter slotting Northeast into the number 3 spot vacated by Sangakkara in their first-match-of-the-season team predictions!

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2018 15:29

Quote:
Grockle
I watched this mountain of a batsman from NZ called Colin de Goodhomme (?)

I think he is aptly named Grandhomme, while our Myburg could be described as Petithomme.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Date: 17 January, 2018 15:32

He hits a bloody big ball LoL. Reminds me of Mr Ingram - also called Colin.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2018 15:41

I note that Number Plate Recognition is being installed in the Car Park at the County Ground,
similar to that in use in Morrison's.

Should put a stop to those drivers who park in the ground and not pay when no
attendant on duty.
Its been a grey area for years, as those abusing the facilities were only give a gentle reminder or a notice put on the car screen if they were found out.

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2018 15:59

Roger, I heard this a few weeks ago and been trying to work out how it would work.

With the supermarkets cameras you get a period of time free and get sent a bill if you stay over that free time.

I can't see SCCC giving free parking for cars for any length of time (I could be wrong) if not, how will the cameras know when you have paid? Unless you have to enter your registration when getting a parking ticket.

Any idea how it could work?

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2018 16:37

Unfortunately, car park camera's now seem to be horribly efficient.

After returning to Canada last summer, I received a parking fine from a Car Park in Scarborough, where I parked for a few hours whilst watching day 1 at North Marine Road.

Not only did the ticket show the precise time I entered the park & fed money into the machine, but it graciously enclosed a photo of my rental car still parked there 15 minutes after expiry of the allocated time.

To add insult to injury, the 50 quid ticket was complemented by a further 40 quid administration fee from the car rental firm !

Expensive day. Lesson learned.

Grizzzly

Posted by: That Bloke With The Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2018 20:35

Outside of Ben Stokes I can't think of a more valuable T20 player in the world than Andre Russell. An explosive batsman - if he came in with 12 to win off two balls, you'd honestly expect him to get them. Also a genuinely fast bowler with a variety of slower balls, and simply the only rival to de Villiers as the best outfielder in the world. Some of the stuff on YouTube has to be seen to be believed, e.g. [www.youtube.com]

If we really have got him, I'd buy a T20 season ticket for the first time for years. (If we haven't, I wouldn't.)

Northeast, on the other hand, should indeed go to Surrey. An inconsistent batsman whose captaincy has failed to get his team out of Division 2, he's then gone and walked out on them on account of being clearly much too good for Division 2 himself. He'd fit in well at the Oval.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2018 20:40

Career average of virtually 40 (39.66)

[www.espncricinfo.com]

No wonder all the posters on White Rose Forum, Oval World, and the Sussex forum all want him.

Only at Somerset would a top player come available, and the attitude is 'He's not that good'.

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2018 23:21

He is probably good enough, but would he chose Somerset before a number of other counties?

We don't seem to be the attraction to players that we were once. Don't build your hopes up.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2018 23:51

We signed Simon Davies.
We signed Chris Rogers.

Yes other counties may have more prestige or test grounds.
We have a young exciting side.
A bowling attack of Craig Jamie Lewis Jack Dom bodes well for future.
We have a gap or 2 for quality top order batters.
We are told we arent short of money, we are one.of top.payers per Nash Guy Cooper and have all had memberships increased.....
Would be a very welcome addition in all 3 formats if it happened.
Tres & Tregs closer to the end of careers than the start!

Date: 18 January, 2018 03:06

There's more to a player than his average Chunky. If he was coming here it would be a long term signing and he would have to fit or be fitted. Bloke has some fair points in terms of other aspects. 'There's a name sign him' Is Surrey's way of doing things. I don't think it has ever really been ours.

Did anyone say he wasn't good enough? The worst I read was he suggested being inconsistent and hadn't proved his skipper skills...... Somerset doesn't need another inconsistent batsman and he wouldn't be here for the captaincy.

Does he scream out, just what we need? Nope. Would we take him if we thought our budget would allow? Yep.

Will he be considering us? Highly doubtful if he wants England recognition. Do we want a bowler more if the purse strings are being held tight? Damn right.

Good luck to him at Hants or Surrey (what a surprise that would be) or Sussex. Hope he does well for their supporting public.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2018 03:24 by Grockle.

2018 SOMERSET RELATED NEWS
Posted by: Following on (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2018 11:49

Ticket prices have been released on the main site. Eye watering £40 gate price to sit in the Trescothick stand for a T20 game. I wonder how many takers there will be?

Whatever people think of the decisions taken, there can be no criticism of the Club for not encouraging younger people to attend, as there is now a Student ticket price category. I'm glad I didn't commit to buying my daughter membership earlier - she has no chance of Dad being generous now!!

2018 SOMERSET RELATED NEWS
Date: 18 January, 2018 13:50

Elizabeth Ammon (Legside Lizzy) has a piece in the Times today that apparently officials from six Counties have approached the ECB proposing a revamp of the County Championship into a three conferences of six teams playing ten games a season plus playoffs to determine the winner.

Best we hurry up and win the Championship while it still exists

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Date: 18 January, 2018 13:53

What level of increase is that on the gate price last year?

(Sm72)

Date: 18 January, 2018 14:06

According to the article in the Somerset Gazette
£22 ground entry
£25 reserved seat
£30 Top tier Somerset Stand

2018 - no such thing as ground entry
Category A £40 Paid in advance £37.50
B £35 £32.50
C £30 £27.50

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2018 14:19

FO: the article you've linked does cover such a proposal, but it comes from Paul Edwards and is suggested by two from Yorkshire, rather than six counties...?

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2018 14:48

Prices for Specsavers County Championship and Royal London One-Day Cup matches have been frozen.

A good indication on how sale go this year will be if any of the T20 game sale-out before the match, if they do then the gate price would not apply!

Current Page: 2 of 37
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net