Current Page: 4 of 37
Re: 2018 SOMERSET RELATED NEWS
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2018 17:34

IMPORTANT.

I've removed the youtube link I provided at 9.01, because I have a feeling it might have had a virus attached.

It may be pure coincidence, but since doing that link I now can't get any vision on BBC iplayer, or any other youtube links.

Sorry if anyone clicked,and is similarly affected. If so, let me know, because at least it will confirm that is what caused the problem.

Edit to add- Just gone into my Norton Security history, and it has an orange circle (for medium risk) against 3 updates it did yesterday, so it looks like the fault might not be the youtube link after all, but the so called 'security' updates that might have messed up my PC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2018 17:59 by chunkyinargyll.

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2018 10:31

They are erecting the marquee on the outfield today for the players to practice under cover.

I hope the outfield doesn't get damaged, it is very soggy with all the rain we have had.

Posted by: Following on (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2018 12:48

Thanks for the updates Mike, it's great to know what is happening at HQ.

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 04 February, 2018 16:15

At a quiet time on here rumours that T20 is turning cricket into baseball prove to be wide of the mark:

[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

Posted by: sfwithers (IP Logged)
Date: 04 February, 2018 17:45

Very good, Farmer White.

Date: 05 February, 2018 15:33

The club made a thing about Kate Steward joining the club from Coopers as the “new Membership and Ticketing Executive” [www.somersetcountycc.co.uk] that didn't last long she is nowhere to be seen on the clubs website. [www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

The club is advertising for a Commercial Sales & Support Executive: Brian Lee has been doing that job.

So is she gone already and the staff has had a game of musical chair in the office?

Sarah Trunks had a well deserved promotion to Head of Marketing & Communications a while ago.

As somebody said there isn't much happening at this moment, except it looks like the ground is marked out for the position of the New Scoreboard.

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 05 February, 2018 15:51

So has Brian Lee left the club (again) Mike.?

Date: 05 February, 2018 16:37

A good question, I don't know unless he has been given another job.

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 05 February, 2018 18:39

Is the 'Bars Manager' another member of the Cooper family dynasty?

Also, last year Guy Wolfenden returned to the club after short - lived periods at both Warwickshire CCC and Exeter City FC as the Corporate Relationship Manager.

One can only believe that they know what they are doing.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 05 February, 2018 19:21

Yes Guy was back towards the end of last season and seemed pretty happy to be so. As was reported here "Jez" Curwin(I think ?) was off to a new job in NZ

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2018 19:23 by Grockle.

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 05 February, 2018 21:41

Paul Cooper (Bar Manager) is NOT related to the club C.E.O. Clarence. He came to the Club last season in the position of an Event Manager, seems he has been given a new role.

Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 05 February, 2018 23:34

Mike- our posh new tent?
Is there any wayba match could take place on the remainder of ground to Caddy Pavilion side or just not enough room?
6 weeks today we will have played our first home friendly & not sure we start using tent until next week or week after so could be a brief stay?

Where abouts is scoreboard being positioned too?
Same as last years temporary or nearer its original?

Are we to assume that whole area remains stand-less this season in the main apart from a T20 temporary?

Date: 06 February, 2018 09:00

The marquee is on a net pitch on the flats side, to play a match I would think a net pitch on the other would have to be used.
My understanding is that the marquee will be used into March, how long into March I don't know.

The scoreboards temporary position last season was in front of the steps to the CA Pavilion, it looks like by the floor markings that the new position is to the side of the steps to avoid any pipes or cables under the ground.

These things could change even from what I heard a few weeks ago, I was told a temporary stand will be put there this season and a permanent stand next winter. What form this permanent stand will take is not clear, could it be a two tired stand to hold about three thousand and incorporating a replacement for the Caddy Shack. (That's what I would like to see).

Time will tell.

Date: 06 February, 2018 11:04

I doubt the Caddyshack is scheduled for remodelling yet. It would be a strange time to plan anything major given the changes in 2020 and the relative uncertainty concerning the amount of use the ground will get from then on.

(Sm72)

Posted by: cricketharris (IP Logged)
Date: 06 February, 2018 13:56

The tent is about a 100 yards long and 20 or so wide and takes up a large part of the ground! There are four industrial size dryers in it at the moment as the grass seems reluctant to dry-out. The tent has perspex sides so all is revealed from the outside. No action yet though.
It looks like the electricity substation is being moved from its position where the old scoreboard used to be which would enable a bigger and better temporary/permanent stand.

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 06 February, 2018 14:30

Does this mean we are preparing for the season with intent or within tent?

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 06 February, 2018 15:20

Not the in tent but will be a right champ site, suppose we're roped into it. Hope it won't be two tents

Date: 06 February, 2018 15:36

Cricketharris, I am not sure that building with all SKY's fibre optic cables in it is being moved, they have added an extra metal cabinet on the outside. For the last two day's workmen have been digging a cable trench from it to outside the ground, I am told it for a Vodafone cable, possibly for Wi-Fi around the ground.

Posted by: cricketharris (IP Logged)
Date: 06 February, 2018 15:44

Oh, I see, Mike. I surmised wrongly. Shame they can’t move the damn thing though. Damned Sky again cluttering up the place.

Date: 06 February, 2018 16:12

Well old man Fulton is on the Sky Sports News Desk out here in the Middle East. Does that means he won't be around Taunton for them next summer?

(Sm72)

Current Page: 4 of 37
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net