Current Page: 6 of 41
Re: 2018 SOMERSET RELATED NEWS
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 15:18

Yep knew him well and Mary. Funny how you don't put a face to a name but know the face immediately..

Most of you lot I know by faces and nicknames

(Sm72)

Posted by: somexile (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 08:10

Jack vs West Indies A 29 overs 6 maidens 75 runs 3 wickets
Compare with Mason Crane 10-0-43 -0
Enough said!

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 10:29

Jack bowled a 25-over spell that started before lunch and finished after tea.

That is some bowling.

Posted by: That Bloke With The Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 14:24

Worth also comparing Crane's figures with those of the part-time leggie Liam Livingstone: 9-0-23-0, which are tidy enough.

Also look at the two W Indies spinners: Raheem Cornwall 37.5-10-68-5 and Jomel Warrican 29-9-54-1. That's the kind of figures you'd expect at the very least from spinners on the sort of pitches you get in the Caribbean these days.

Maybe one day Crane will pull himself together and be an effective spin bowler, rather than just a young bloke who spins the ball. But he looks still miles away from that at the moment.

But he's a regular on Sky telly, and Leach has never appeared on Sky. Until that changes I suspect Jack will be pigeonholed as a provincial curiosity whom you discuss for an England place, in order to pretend that you follow the game properly, but never actually pick.

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 15:28

There is a rain delay at the start of the third day's play.

Thanks to a friend this is a link to a live feed, with no commentary. [cricketwestindies.org]

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 17:47

So Jack Leach didn't do as well as one of the West Indian spinners, and was more expensive than the other?

Why are people so paranoid about him not being selected for England?

IMO if there is any justice, Dom Best should gain his first England cap before Jack Leach. That is something that I shall look forward to.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 19:23

I suspect people feel irked as Jack Leach has yet to be given the chance at Test level, despite taking 116 Championship wickets over the last two seasons.

DB, also an amazing prospect, took 49 wickets across the same period.

Grizzzly

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 19:39

Quote:
Mike TA1
http://cricketwestindies.org/index.php/match-centre/?type=scorecard&mId=60&cId=3&dId=1&mend=0&livestream=1

smiling smiley

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 19:43

It will be interesting to see how well Jack Leach performs this season, as Lee Cooper made it plain Taunton won't be so spin friendly in future.

If Leach takes 50 wickets plus this season, then I might start to take notice.

(Sm159)

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 22:49

I would like to see both Jack Leach and Dom Bess be given an England Test cap, but it is Dom, who as a possible long - term Test player, excites me the most.

Date: 13 February, 2018 23:06

Well, I guess it's unlikely that they will both play for England at the same time.

In which case at least one of them should always be available for us.

Hopefully!

Grizzzly

Posted by: old boy! (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 23:11

Quote:
Clarence Parker
I would like to see both Jack Leach and Dom Bess be given an England Test cap, but it is Dom, who as a possible long - term Test player, excites me the most.
Yes CP - You may have seen my earlier worry that Jack, Dom and Craig could be in England squads this summer, and not available for us. The lord help us then, because who will get 20 wickets in a match for us?.
Old Boy!

Posted by: Ronniesabre (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 06:21

Ah but andy hurry thinks we have that covered

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 09:43

West Indies A trail England Lions by 74 runs with 9 wickets remaining...

Jack has taken the one to fall.

50 plus wickets for 2018 no problem, start a counter on the site Grockle!

Date: 14 February, 2018 13:27

Still can't avoid it can you Chunky?

Inferring still that the Taunton wicket is the only reason for Jack's figures (and there is something wrong with that) even though many,many people have told you on many,many occasions that the wickets prepared at Taunton are helpful to all bowlers and not just the spinners. Have a look at the figures. Other bowlers have also done well at Taunton and not all spinners.

Have a look at figures elsewhere and you will see that Jack has done well away from Somerset. But never mind aye.... yawn once again.

Who really cares if he convinces you? Are you an England selector? Or just a slightly myopic and serial poor loser from Middlesex?

Personally I don't care if they never pick him. We will and he and Dom will help us win games at home or away.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2018 13:33 by Grockle.

Date: 14 February, 2018 13:32

But he hasn't convinced the England selectors yet, or they would have picked him.

Date: 14 February, 2018 13:36

Very true. Fine by me. Their loss our gain.

Convincing you? Difficult to do considering the bias in relation to him. Also fine by me. No loss whatsoever.

(Sm72)

Date: 14 February, 2018 13:44

It's not difficult to convince me at all.

By the looks of things in 2018 Jack Leach will be playing on similar surfaces to everyone else.

Sometimes slightly helpful, other times less so, when he might find himself needing to be used in a containing role, rather than an attacking one.

All I have ever said is that because of the conditions at Taunton for the last two seasons it is difficult to judge his true worth.

This year will be interesting. will he take 51 championship wickets (like last year) or will he end up in the pack of county spinners who take about 30 a season.

Answer due late September.

Date: 14 February, 2018 17:10

England A beaten by 2 wickets, as the Windies A team scraped to 108/8.

Scoreboard here:

[cricketwestindies.org]

Jack Leach's figures in the second innings:

13 - 2 - 26 - 5

Grizzzly

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 18:24

Jack's match figures of 8-110 the best bowling figures by an England spinner in a A Test beating Graeme Swann's 8-156 v Zimbabwe A in Bulowayo in 1999

Current Page: 6 of 41
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net