Current Page: 1 of 39
2018 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2018 09:01

New Year. New Thread.

For other county, international or general cricket info.

(Sm72)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 24/06/2018 07:40 by Grockle.

Re: 2018 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 22 January, 2018 14:21

Hampshire may be looking for a new captain this summer.

Former Aussie One-day skipper George Bailey, who not only led them in 2017 but was top Hampshire scorer in most formats, is suffering from back problems and says at 35 he no longer has the energy to meet the demands of an English county season.

He is under a two-year contract, though, and Hampshire are keen for him to return - so it is all in the melting pot.

2018 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
Posted by: Following on (IP Logged)
Date: 22 January, 2018 14:26

"Buy" Sam Northeast - end of problem!

Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 27 January, 2018 13:14

Day 1 IPL done.
Stokes Jos Woakes Archer Moeen & Roy picked up on day 1.
So currently likes of Morgan Root Hales Wood Billings Plunkett Johnny Helm Gurney Samit & Malan all not yet got a gig.....

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2018 14:26

I see the three most expensive England cricketers at the opening IPL cattle auction are all from the Second Division - Ben Stokes ($1.95m), Chris Woakes ($1.15m) and Sussex`s Jofra Archer (1.125m).

Out of Somerset`s first four county championship opponents, only Moeen Ali and Jos Buttler have been bought and will be unavailable, although that could change if Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow are more successful in the second tranche of bids.

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2018 14:52

It shows how closely I keep up with the county scene these days that I was unaware of Archer before the IPL auction.

I was slightly surprised that Jeffrey Archer had been chosen, but my lightning-quick brain soon realised that his reverse sweep wasn't good enough for the IPL and that it was some other Archer.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2018 15:21

Jeffrey Archer's sweep is better described as underhand rather than reverse...

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 05 February, 2018 20:21

White lipped warhorse Peter Siddle has signed for Essex's early CC games, so we will avoid him.

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 10:32

England cricketer Ben Stokes pleads not guilty to affray.

On the BBC news site.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 12:11

That means he will be tried at Bristol Crown Court at some future date. He has to attend a preliminary hearing at Crown Court on 12th March and maybe on that day a date for the trial will be set.

I think it will be difficult for him to resume a full England career until the Crown Court trial is over, though he may appear in some one-day matches before then.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Old Boy! (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 13:44

Quote:
Loyal of Lhasa
Jeffrey Archer's sweep is better described as underhand rather than reverse...

A bit unfair on "Gentleman" Jeffrey LOL - after all, we all assume that it was Mary who knew where the "bodies" were buried, and "Gentleman" Jeffrey did the time!! Allegedly!

Old Boy!

Posted by: Old Boy! (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 13:51

Quote:
Mike TA1
England cricketer Ben Stokes pleads not guilty to affray.
On the BBC news site.

I thought when it was first reported Stokes and one or two others were, allegedly, defending a couple of blokes from a homophobic attack. I reckon he may well be found not guilty!

Old Boy!

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 01:16

Don't think the law works like that.

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 15:33

Whether he's found guilty or not of whatever, the footage of the incident shown on TV at the time tells me that he is guilty of behaviour unbecoming if nothing else.

England do not have to pick him again ever and I hope they do not. From his days as a player for England Under 19 he has always had disciplinary issues. Kick him out and kick him hard as he appeared to do to some poor bloke on the floor in Bristol. Let him bide his time in the murkiness of Durham or in the hot spots of India.

Ben Stokes, I salute you. (Sm44)

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: hantssabre (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 18:26

Not any international or domestic cricket allocated to Taunton then!

[pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com]

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 18:36

Six Tests a year, half of them in London. Throwback to the old days and traditional grounds with no Tests in Cardiff or Southampton. Edgbaston retains its stranglehold on the (old) T20 Finals day, and qualification for the 50-over final earns you a trip to Trent Bridge. The new T20 venues for the Big Dosh League are the expected 8.

Underwhelmed.

Posted by: That Bloke With The Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 18:40

Does that mean we have to pay for floodlights for the World Cup next year, then not switch them on again for at least another six years, and probably never again?

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 18:45

T20 new comp. games at Cardiff ?????

Even if they give tickets away the place will be empty & the atmosphere about as exciting as a damp cardboard box.

What a dogs dinner.

Makes you weep.

Grizzzly

Posted by: nelliec (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 20:43

A total disregard to the other 10 or so counties.All the gearing up done by Mr Cooper in anticipation of getting a share of the new T20 competition, and one day internationals totally out the window.
There will now be no need to separate membership into 2 categories in the future,as no one will pay to watch a second rate competition.

Posted by: nelliec (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 20:54

Oh and no more Lords finals either!!!!........

Current Page: 1 of 39
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net