Current Page: 6 of 34
Re: 2018 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 03 March, 2018 18:57

I mentioned the conversation I had with Andy Nash at the Women's World Cup where we were talking abut 'the twelve' as a working CC. That is the 8 city sides plus the one's not getting Uber T20 but with possible resources to work outside.

That would be Somerset and 3 others who could survive.

It was not expected to include Derbyshire, Leicestershire or Worcestershire. I'm not sure who was expected to be there from Durham, Essex, Kent, Northants, Gloucestershire or Sussex

I'm not sure that Durham is a flavour the ECB wants - I doubt they can survive without ECB support so are they willing to pull the plug on North East cricket?

Gloucs would struggle without International fixtures in the next 5 to 6 years.

Essex and Kent?

Northants might have short to medium term funds from T20 campaigns but long term?

Sussex?

6 counties to the wall who would be starved of financial resources to survive? Another part of the 'future of the game' we voted for (and some of them followed us!!)

(Sm72)

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 03 March, 2018 19:07

Well said Hants01.

I'm likely in the minority, but I did see merit in the original three division conference system proposed by Yorkshire. There is good potential to keep a large number of teams involved until the latter part of the season & it would build interest throughout the summer (the moreso if the ECB actually deigned it appropriate to play one or two games in the peak months !).

In the midst of all this turmoil & uncertainty regarding the Championship, wouldn't it be refreshing for the ECB to put out a Policy statement emphasising their commitment to the competition and offering some views as to the likely way ahead.

Instead, all we have is a deafening wall of silence.

Grizzzly

Posted by: Hants01 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 March, 2018 20:43

I would like to see the counties express no confidence in the ECB- in Graves, Harrison, Strauss and the rest.

It's nonsense to suggest that the counties are all sacrosanct and that everything will be fine with all the teams recipients of £1.3m. If the new franchise garbage is a success, then it will have a momentum of its own. Potentially expanding and further marginalising the County game, extinguishing or reducing some competitions. When the likes of Mark Nicholas call for fewer sides he should name those for the axe: Hampshire or as he is by birth a Londoner, Surrey or Middlesex? What nonsense to get rid of the initial county of Graeme Swann or Leicestershire who have produced so many players or Derbyshire, the county of Cork, Bob Taylor, etc. Maybe ditching the North East. How do you expand the game's popularity? Ditching vast swathes of regional representation is the antithesis of boosting the game's appeal.

The counties are showing signs of waking up to the existential threat confronting them be it from players wanting to be franchise freelancers with more money from the new TV deal or the new franchise competition. The recent 'Mail online' article interestingly revealed how much a burden it's all going to be for counties. Players on year long deals going and playing abroad and missing the start of the season. Yes, those deals need to be revoked. Yes, foreign teams should pay a loan fee for players. Personally, players who aren't here for the opening of the county season should forfeit the domestic season. Note that article: 100 players taken out of county cricket for the new-fangled competition here: implications for costs of replacing those players. Counties will have to get increasingly tough with players. The Billings captaincy appointment at Kent was absurd: not there for two months [IPL] and he becomes skipper!

I think reality will kick in ultimately. Few will have any relish for the new T20 competition: existing county fans not bothering with it and failing to attract a new audience. We don't have India's passion (number one sport) or size; we don't have Australia's weather or big grounds. I am hopeful this will be junked over a period. The two big gains of it will need to kept: outgrounds brought back as these franchises use main grounds and the principle of domestic cricket back on free to air. It's up to county fans to 'keep the faith' and back all our current competitions and not bother with the new garbage. Let the Blast trounce the new rubbish in gates. Watch too for the humiliations in Test cricket: how do you produce spinners when you take out big chunks of the summer, hitherto earmarked for the Championship?

The ECB needs to tell the broadcasters we must have a lot more free-to-air cricket. If we carry on like this, the ECB's coffers will be full but the sport will soon be dead: few watching on TV and declining participants.

In my opinion the ECB is a disgrace. England players not allowed to play in domestic cricket but encouraged to line their pockets (sorry, get experience abroad) in foreign competitions; the season-opener with the champion county played abroad! England Lions/A matches to rob counties of their players. The Championship shoehorned into April-May and then September. And so on...

Have a look at the fixtures: there is no County Cricket on the August Bank Holiday of 27/08. On the Bank Holiday, the second of the two in May, there is no cricket either. There are full programmes of the Royal London Cup on the preceding Friday and Saturday. So why not switch the Friday games to Monday? Is it beyond the wit of the ECB to market the game properly and stage cricket when people have recreational time?

I was interested to read Ali Martin stating that there were 2.6m hits on the BBC w/site to access their County commentaries. So much for County Cricket dying.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2018 22:52 by Hants01.

Posted by: Ronniesabre (IP Logged)
Date: 03 March, 2018 22:20

You talk a lot of sense there hants.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2018 07:43

Excellent post, Hants01.

If we had gone down to 12 counties or less 40 years ago people like Mark Nicholas would never have had a career in the first place. He was never a superstar, but he talked a good game, and had the looks to make it presenting a sport on tv. I've never understood why he is so anti a system that has given him such a good living.

12 teams wouldn't raise the standard (it might initially when the best players from 18 merge to 12), but a few years down the line kids would have to make their debuts, and, inevitably, some will make it, some will fail (but they have to play enough games to fail) and a few will do a Will Porterfield, and inexplicably hang on in there, even though they are a bit below what is required. It doesn't matter how many kids are in the class, someone will always be bottom of the table, and out of their depth, so a reduction just reduces opportunities to make the grade, because you will never eradicate the situation of new players not always being good enough.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2018 09:29

Quite right, Chunky.

I also have to say that three conferences is NOT a good idea, IMO.

Quite apart from anything else there would, at least initially, be far too much one-sided cricket with teams like Leics, Derbys, Glamorgan and Gloucs getting utterly trounced by CC1 powerhouses. These games would do nothing for the development of the players currently in CC1.

Date: 04 March, 2018 09:41

The 12 county scheme was nothing more than a possible result of the revenue discrimination of the UberT20. It was not a way of improving quality (I seriously don't think the ECB care). It was simply seen as a fact of economic life.

Andy really believed that the people in charge were committed to the game as a whole. I have no idea where that came from, very little coming out of Lord's suggests that in any way shape or form to me.

But I don't have my finger on the pulse I suppose. I hope we are all going to be pleasantly surprised sometime before SCCC sell Taunton to a major supermarket chain.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2018 09:57

I am sure we all remember when most if not all countries had sell-out crowds for test matches, it was not that many years ago.

Now see what has happened since the introduction of the likes of the IPL and other T20 games, it has almost finished off test matches in those countries.

After we start this disaster in 2020 will test match cricket go the same way in this country?

Date: 04 March, 2018 10:36

I love this 'either or' concept. It is not an 'either or' argument. We have 3 formats.

Most cricketers and cricket watchers (rather than viewers) agree that the game with the most nuance and skill is the longer format. Representing your country at Test match level is the pinnacle most aim for in the game.

The 50 over game has developed with the quality players of the longer game and the skills of quick run making and risk taking from the shorter format into a much more enjoyable one day version. You can pull a game back from a poor first 10 or you can defend small totals with good bowling and fielding or attack larger ones with dynamic batting.

The T20 version gives a free hand to the big shot batsman who can be expansive and inventive. It possibly needs a little more help for the bowler but bowling nuances and invention can also gain rewards. It's short, sharp and offers something for those not so involved in the give and take of the game.

Test matches are more exciting because of the stroke play of those who can make their way in the longest and the shortest of the formats

T20 are more exciting because of the stroke variety of the good batsmen and the invention and risk taking of the good bowler. They get to be inventive because of where they have learned their art and the skill to pull it off. They give back to that place in being able to incorporate those things into an innings or spell of a longer form because of the patience they have learned from the longer game.

Why don't these idiots understand that if we allow one format to go we will belittle and decrease the skills that are shown in the other one. The glorious greenback stops the moment the game with no core becomes repetitive. To stop that you must invest n the training ground of longer format cricket.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2018 17:09

Don't understand your reservations expressed above AG.

As far as I can see (from the link below), the three conferences would be based on prior season placings, so there shouldn't be any massive skills gap, or inability to encourage young players:

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Maybe I'm missing something....

Grizzzly

Date: 09 March, 2018 12:49

Top Indian cricketer Mohammad Shami has been charged with attempt to murder following a complaint by his wife. [www.bbc.co.uk]

It's a good thing we never signed him for our OS player.

Date: 12 March, 2018 13:52

The article is good, but it seems White Rose Forum started in 1999.

Paragraph nine says they think this makes it the longest running county cricket forum on the internet.

[cricketyorkshire.com]

I expect someone will want to put them right on this.

Date: 12 March, 2018 15:33

I'm not sure it's about records. The object is to put places on the net for cricket talk. The Yorkshire boys have done that for a long time as you people at MTWD have.

We came here in Feb 2002 after Rivals.net turned into Cricket 365. We were in both of those and existed before them.

We discussed the possibility of a website for Somerset before the official site was up with Peter Anderson. I had a phoned apology from Kev Shine about being sent to Coventry by PA just after that.

We reported on David Boone turning out for Durham and Paul Bird dismissing Brian Lara at Taunton for 11 (22 May 1994 Sunday League) - My first reported wicket on the 'Grockles Obsession' - a 5 page website on independent webspace in those days.

The earliest poster I can remember was Tim Limbach (Botham as is) and a guy who was a good man for a post who went under the name of Dangermouse's partner Penfold.

We've been about a long time. But we all do a job. 'The Incider' is now reporting itself as the number 1 independent Somerset website. Good for them. We're all in it together and the more the merrier.

Congrats to all. 25 years since I started this using the WP version before Word (MSWord). I may end in VR but hopefully no time soon.

As an aside, I have no archives before 1999 - we moved everything to Rivals in 1998 I think and only managed to salvage from then on. Before then it was 'ZIP' drives which fell hostage to a thing called the 'click of death'. Anyone got anything pre 1999?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 16:04 by Grockle.

2018 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
Posted by: Following on (IP Logged)
Date: 12 March, 2018 16:47

The Incider appears to be having a problem - when trying to click on the site you get an account suspended message.

Date: 12 March, 2018 19:26

The Inciders twitter account is still going strong, but the site comes up 'Account suspended' and my Norton security gives it grey for untested.

Maybe just a temporary thing?

Date: 13 March, 2018 06:43

The Incider twitter feeds have been very quiet the last month or so. Most tweets have been from old addresses so maybe there is some ICT issue that they are dealing with. May be it is time for a face lift and that is taking place before the start of the next season. They certainly haven't been as up front as one would have expected on some stories

It is probably a glitch and hopefully won't keep them out of the conversation for long.

I've always though we had a symbiotic relationship with them. They report and interview where I've never seen that as Grockles role and living in the Middle East for 75% of a year doesn't help. We set up as a talking shop and that's what we still are.

The Incider has set up its own forum now. a decision that may complete it as the all round 'number 1 somerset cricket internet site' or cause it problems like the official site's short lived forum did.

We still do the numbers and are read more than we are interacted with - fine by me. I still argue our debate is more informed than elsewhere and our posters police themselves to a great extent and don't abide 'trolls' for long. Reading football twitter and web feeds is dispiriting most of the time. I've rarely felt that from going through Grockles threads. I may be in a minority though!!

(Sm72)

Date: 13 March, 2018 07:06

Sad news today for anyone who listens to and appreciates the art of cricket commentary during the season.

Dave Callaghan the man who was the voice of the Yorkshire commentary team has passed away after a heart attack. If you listened to Yorkshire v anyone you will know his distinctive voice and will always remember the love affair he had with the names of Somerset cricketers in particular.

Great man, great knowledge of cricket in general and Yorkshire in particular and a real old school man on the mike. It will be quieter and there will be less smiling during the new season.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2018 07:07 by Grockle.

Date: 13 March, 2018 08:21

Sad news to hear of anybody moving on to another life, I am sure his voice will be missed by all cricket lovers.

RIP.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2018 09:47

Sad indeed to hear of the death of Dave Callaghan, one of the cheering voices of summer, a man in love with cricket, Yorkshire cricket especially, and his job.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2018 12:12

Some nice tributes here:
[www.bbc.co.uk]

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Current Page: 6 of 34
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net