Current Page: 18 of 27
Re: 2018 OTHER CRICKET NEWS
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2018 13:28

As Graves seems to have few friends is Denison one of them or just another business aquaintance. He can't syay that seems pretty certain.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2018 16:36

Denison is in the 'corridor of uncertainty', a bit like Yorkshire's debt

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 10:35

Leach will miss the rest of the season with a stress fracture of his back. [www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 10:38

Oh- for a moment I thought you meant your Leach.

Joe Leach has the sort of body frame that looks like it is always likely to be under excess strain.

Date: 14 June, 2018 10:49

Yes Chunky, I was careful on what thread I put it on. smiling smiley

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 18:17

Too bad re Joe Leach, but Mike, you nearly gave me a Heart Attack !

Grizzzly

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 22:21

Yet another of those stupid, stupid, stupid warm-up injuries at Trent Bridge today - but at least with a different outcome to those in Somerset`s rank recently.

Mitch Claydon, Kent`s opening bowler in all the group matches,injured his groin less than an hour before the match with Notts was due to start. However, Harry Podmore, who took his place, returned figures of 4-57 as Kent won by nine wickets.

Claydon will miss Sunday`s semi-final at Worcester.

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 22:36

I dont get this attitude to warm-ups. Why is it so stupid (x3)?

Players MUST warm up; if they didn't, they'd get a heck of a lot MORE injuries. It's very possible that players reported as injured in such a way have gone into the warm-up with a potential, or slight, strain/pull/injury - the warm-up may have exacerbated it, or highlighted it in some way. As somebody said before, better before the game than during.

Also, warm-up injuries such as pulls or tears are different to ones like broken bones (eg Jack Leach's thumb), which I'd call a practice injury.

Date: 15 June, 2018 07:23

Better to get injured 45 minutes before the game starts than 45 minutes after it has started.

Date: 15 June, 2018 13:19

Better not to get injured at all!

The reason why today`s versions of warm-ups (or is it warms-up?) are so dangerous is that they bear no relation to the traditional form. In all the many years I have been following cricket, the only incident I can remember from the past is Glenn McGrath stepping on a ball carelessly left behind by his Aussie colleagues before the Edgbaston Test in 2005.

Of course, players should warm-up, but in the time-honoured way that didn`t leave them at risk - circuits of the field, fully-padded batters in the nets receiving gentle range-finders, and bowlers turning over their arm.

Instead, we have coaches slamming balls full-pelt at players fielding from only four or five-yards away (often less) and without any protection; batters facing gun-shot balls sent down by slings from around 15-18 yards, and football where the more cocksure think they are Roy Keane.

We even have a Somerset No.11 batsman, vital to our championship campaign, batting against those sling-shots in the warm-up, when the likelihood of him being required in a batting role that day were longer even than Albion winning the football World Cup.

A recipe for disaster - proved time over time again.

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2018 16:26

Surrey have signed South African Theunis de Bruyn as replacement for Virat Kohli who was due to play for them for a short period,

De Bruyn will play against us later in the month, also for Surrey against Yorkshire, before joining up with the South Africa squad in July.

Date: 15 June, 2018 20:19

Liam Plunkett, currently in the England ODI side but dropped by Yorkshire for their last Royal London group match, has indicated he is likely to leave the county when his contract is up at the end of the season.

He will be 34 next summer. Probably odds-on to return to Durham. They deserve a bit of good fortune.

Mind you, should Lewis Gregory leave Taunton, Plunkett wouldn`t be a bad short-term replacement.

Posted by: Hants01 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2018 21:16

The Yorkshire Posts reports that Plunkett has already been linked with Middlesex. I wonder what offers he will get if he is still keen on- and gets an IPL contract- as well as approaching his mid-30s. Looking like a bit of an exodus: Bresnan possibly, Plunkett, Rashid. I applaud Yorkshire's IPL stance: a pity they didn't rip up Willey's contract, as the player said they threatened to do; Plunkett had one expensive match and was deemed 'under-cooked' by Yotkshire according to Plunkett.

With Lewis Gregory interesting four counties, it looks like we have an early bout of transfer speculation.

On Dave Allen's Hampshire w/site, he notes that in the BBC radio commentary of the Glamorgan-Hampshire match, it was said Hampshire are one of the counties interested in signing Glamorgan's Aneurin Donald.

Date: 18 June, 2018 09:15

Looks like Michael Carberry is going to sue Leicestershire-

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: hantssabre (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2018 12:03

Very sad situation for Carbs. That horrible man Nixon strikes again

Date: 18 June, 2018 17:20

And Nixon has only been in charge at Leics for four months.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2018 18:25

Kent v Hampshire then. What a tough group we were in. I suppose the Hampshire fans will be here admonishing their performance. Tidy innings from Vince by all accounts

Posted by: JuliaW (IP Logged)
Date: 19 June, 2018 10:18

From legside Lizzy in the Times -

'Next season’s county cricket schedule has been altered to fit around the World Cup, which takes place in England between May 30 and July 14.

To ensure that the domestic 50-over tournament does not clash with the World Cup, the ECB is proposing a change to the domestic structure that would mean the 50-over one-day cup beginning almost a month earlier than this year, around April 18, and finishing before the World Cup starts.

For the past two seasons, the domestic calendar has featured up to five rounds of County Championship matches before the one-day cup begins in mid-May. Next year this will be flipped around with several rounds of County Championship played during the World Cup in June and early July. The Vitality Twenty20 Blast could start once the World Cup is finished.

Eleven county and Test venues are being used for the World Cup. The ICC theoretically requires exclusive use of those grounds from 21 days before their first match until ten days after their last, meaning that county cricket in that period will need to played elsewhere, at county grounds not being used for the World Cup or at outgrounds. However, the World Cup organising team are allowing some flexibility to the “exclusive use” rule so that county cricket can continue and have tried to organise the World Cup schedule so that most grounds are only out of action for part of the 46-day tournament.

The altered schedule for 2019 is also likely to mean that T20 Blast finals day, the showpiece culmination to the season, is played later than ever, on the final weekend of September so that it does not interfere with the climax to the County Championship and the Ashes series, the exact dates of which are yet to be published but which runs from the end of July to mid- September. Finals day next year will take place at Trent Bridge before reverting to Edgbaston from 2020.'

Date: 19 June, 2018 11:52

Headache.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 19 June, 2018 13:51

I doubt the whole of the cricket watching population see the T20 Finals day as the 'showpiece culmination' of the cricket season. The World Cup final will mean more to many and the last game of the CC1 season will then come. T20 would be third in many views or not important at all to a significant minority

(Sm72)

Current Page: 18 of 27
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net