Current Page: 57 of 59
Re: 2018 ENGLAND CRICKET
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 21 September, 2018 21:16

Burns in. There really is justice. Stand out 4 day batsman of this year by a mile.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2018 21:50 by Grockle.

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 21 September, 2018 21:34

Good luck to Jack Leach; I hope that he seizes his opportunities.

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 21 September, 2018 22:16

Rory Burns nearly signed for Somerset.

He was already showing promise as a batsman at Cardiff University, but above all wanted to be a wicket-keeper. Rob Turner was still involved in coaching at Taunton at the time, and Burns traveled from Cardiff on a number of occasions to work on his keeping skills with Turner.

Somerset were certainly impressed by what they saw, but Surrey quickly realized that Burns was born in Epsom and signed him to a summer contract post haste.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2018 07:23

Hard to credit Ed Smith's insistence that Joe Denly has "matured into one of the best players in county cricket," given that he plays his cricket in CC2 and that, therefore, he very seldom competes against anybody else who could be even remotely thus described.

I think it was pretty obvious that Leachy would go and fingers crossed for him to have a huge impact.

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2018 19:36

The spin that the 'Hundred' will be an undoubted success has begun.

"......there is a lot of support around it. It is all very positive."

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Hmmm.....

Grizzzly

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2018 12:31

Tongue will miss this winter's England Lions tour of the UAE because of his foot. [www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: 28 September, 2018 15:14

Not a SCCC player in sight as the ECB announce their central contracts for 2019, including Adil Rashid:

[www.ecb.co.uk]

Grizzzly

Posted by: cricketharris (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2018 15:27

As first and foremost a Somerset supporter I am pleased there isn’t. Playing for England is one thing, having our best player(s) barred from playing for us for most of the season is not the way we will win our first championship next year.

Date: 28 September, 2018 16:54

"Not a SCCC player in sight as the ECB announce their central contracts for 2019, including Adil Rashid:"

With respect, who did you think might have merited one Grizzzly?

No Somerset player represented England this Summer did they? Maybe Jack Leach next time around if he seizes his chances this Winter.

Date: 28 September, 2018 17:02

Relative to the somewhat modest achievements of Mr Rashid, I think Jack Leach might consider himself unlucky.

However, as you say, hopefully he'll seize his chance over the winter.

Grizzzly

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2018 17:17

Quote:
Clarence Parker
No Somerset player represented England this Summer did they?

What county does that promising young cricketer, Dom Bess, play for? (not that I think he is eligible for a central contract yet)

Date: 28 September, 2018 18:46

I stand corrected; of course Dom did but failed to command a regular place for his county afterwards, through no fault of his own I would stress.

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2018 22:40

Out of 17 players on the contracts list only three - Moeen Ali, Ben Stokes and Mark Wood - currently playing for counties outside of the traditional six Test match grounds.

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2018 23:26

Small ground paranoia (Sm135)

Date: 29 September, 2018 13:21

Why is there such a depth of paranoid feelings expressed on here concerning the ECB? Do people really believe that there is a conspiracy afoot to extinguish all the non-Test Match ground counties, and the poor little country cousins in Somerset in particular? I for one (and I may be the only one) do not believe it.

We all know that the likes of Willis and other ex – County and England players are playing down the county cricket system in this country and advocating a reduction in the number of counties. These statements have often appeared as having been expressed through the media including Sky TV. These so - called pundits are only paying lip service to their employers, who I am sure urge them to be as controversial as possible in order to boost their own viewing figures.

Have not the ECB through one of their spokesmen said that the 18 County system is sacrosanct? I am sure that somebody did. Make no mistake, I am no fan of Colin Graves or Tom Harrison, but the ECB has I believe 41 voting members. These consist of the Chairmen of the 18 First Class counties, MCC and all the Minor Counties. Would the other non – Test Match ground counties and the Minor Counties (who of course have a vested interest) vote for such a culling?

The ECB have of course made some ridiculous decisions concerning the 100-ball bash and the like, but now perhaps the County Chairmen are hitting back, and so they should! I am sorry that Andy Nash resigned from the Board of Directors last year instead of staying put to fight against such ludicrous policies.

I am confident that common sense will prevail and we will remain with our existing county system for some time to come. Some counties will no doubt fall by the wayside because of financial problems – I hope not and trust that there will be help and support for them from within.

But one thing is sure, and that is that the format and structure of cricket in England and Wales will change and evolve.

Nothing lasts forever does it?

Date: 29 September, 2018 15:26

An interesting viewpoint CP.

Seeking forgiveness for using an inelegant phrase, but my perspective of the ECB is more one of a never ending series of 'cock ups', rather than conspiracy.

Much as I like to subscribe to the philosophy of 'innocent until prove guilty', it seems to me that the case for the prosecution is an unfortunately strong one.

Some of the ECB's notable achievements across the recent past, which come to mind include:

- Marginalising the County Championship.

- Failing to promote the domestic game to those who love it.

- Removing cricket from 'free to air' TV.

- Making no statements (at least as far as I can recall) in support of the future of the County Championship, or of their firm commitment to retaining the 18 County structure.

- Making clandestine payments allegedly, (or not allegedly, according to Glamorgan's published financial accounts) to Counties for agreeing not to host Test Matches.

- Reportedly building up a war chest of up to GBP 70 million, whilst the First Class domestic game struggles to survive.

- Actively encouraging Durham to spend vast amounts of money on developing a Test Ground they clearly couldn't afford.

- Establishing a domestic cricket season schedule which sees many weeks of peak summer seeing little if any cricket, whilst cramming games into Spring & Autumn.

- Holding covert decision making meetings from which little emerges publicly, apart from leaked reports of copious discontent.

- Cajoling (bribing ?) Counties into (foolishly) voting for the Hundred franchise, akin to Turkey's voting for Christmas. Spending a fortune thereon, whilst actively dissuading cricket fans from engaging with the new format, in favour of a yet to be proven 'mums & kids market'.

- Creating an atmosphere of contempt amongst the vast majority of Cricket fans, as evident from the results of the recent nationwide survey conducted by the Cricketer.

- Reportedly suing one of the most respected Cricket journalists in the UK, for having the temerity to challenge the views of it's Chairman, whose dictatorial antics might be regarded as making Donald Trump look like a paragon of diplomacy.

Apologies for the above being just a somewhat rambling and ill structured list, but I'm struggling to think of any meaningful positive decisions that the ECB have taken over recent times.

So, whilst I don't share the view that the County Ground will end up being turned into a supermarket any time soon, I also don't have much confidence that we will survive due to the undiluted support of the ECB,...... at least under it's present stewardship.

Nothing lasts forever,.......... apart from the hope that things will change for the better !

Grizzzly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/09/2018 15:30 by Grizzzly.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2018 19:39

Pretty much sums it up Grizzz

(Sm72)

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2018 20:02

Brilliant stuff, Grizzzly. Expect a sub poena from Mr Graves in the next post (and take that as a compliment).

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Date: 29 September, 2018 20:44

That is an excellent and well thought - out post Grizzzly.

I respect your opinions despite me differing from them in some instances.

Does not the proverb say - "The love of money is the root of all evil", and I fear that is the case as far as the ECB and English and Welsh cricket is concerned.

Cricket is of course not the only sport affected in this way.

Date: 29 September, 2018 21:30

Thank you kindly gentlemen.

True words indeed, CP.

Grizzzly

Current Page: 57 of 59
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net