Current Page: 2 of 58
Re: 2018 ENGLAND CRICKET
Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2018 15:24

Thanks Chunky.

All the article does however, is confirm that a man is innocent until proven guilty & that it could be regarded as a restraint of trade if he is restricted from playing whilst the legal process takes it's course.

All of which is entirely logical and all of which surely also applied before he was charged.

So what was the logic in not selecting him for the Ashes tour ?

Grizzzly

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2018 23:02

From the BBC site.

Surrey all-rounder Sam Curran has been added to the England squad for the Twenty20 tri-series against co-hosts Australia and New Zealand next month, joining his brother Tom in the squad.

I didn't think they would keep those two separated for long.

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2018 23:30

Surely then to be followed by the Overton Bros.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 24 January, 2018 04:23

Didn't they expect him to be charged with a more serious crime at the time?

Was there any chance that he might be required to report to police stations or anything like that had he been charged which would require him to be in England? Just musing on it all.

They didn't have to take him with them, they could have suspended him, paid him and kept him on gardening leave if they had wanted to couldn't they?

I'm not sure this is a 'restraint of trade' issue to be honest. I think it might be more of a 'restraint of victory' if he doesn't play that was the turning factor. They probably could have got around the legal stuff if they had wanted to.

I can't understand why he couldn't continue to play as long as there was no requirement to be resident in the UK. Until he has had his day in court and the judgement has been made then what has changed as far as his ability to pay the game? They did not drop him so they obviously were willing to deal with the media backlash in Oz.... all a bit of what my Granny used to call 'faffing'.

(Sm72)

Date: 28 January, 2018 14:37

When Tom Curran is 'flying' he does look very good.

(Sm72)

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2018 17:35

Halfway through the Ashes series, Craig Overton,who had been mightily impressive in both his Test appearances, looked nailed on for the Test squad this summer- and will have another chance to shine in New Zealand shortly.

But the fast-bowling competition at both red and white ball level has suddenly hotted up.

Chris Woakes remains a certainty, especially if you add in his batting, as does Ben Stokes, unless a Bristol court decides otherwise. Jimmy Atkinson and Stuart Broad, however, all at once appear slightly vulnerable.

Mark Wood offers sheer speed, as does Liam Plunkett; Tom Curran looked far better today than he has ever done for Surrey (his brother Sam is also in the one-day squad now); Essex`s championship-winning James Porter is with the Lions; Jake Ball showed huge courage at the end today after fainting through heat exhaustion; and what about Reece Topley (if he can keep both fit and his attention away from women`s tennis) and Jamie Overton.

The Anderson/Broad succession line looks rather interesting.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2018 17:39

It's Jimmy Atkinson I'm worried about!

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2018 19:32

Toby Roland-Jones. Players nowadays get plenty of support for back stress fractures including muscle strengthening and modifying bowling technique. Plus rest and recuperation in the sun. Just wait until everyone is fully available for selection, it will be a series to savour

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2018 19:54

Anderson's still cutting the mustard; not so sure about Broad.

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2018 13:42

Bypassed Toby Roland-Jones. Good call SLaLaLa.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2018 13:48

Toby Roland-Jones test bowling 17 wickets at 19.64 from 4 matches

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Craig Overton test bowling 6 wickets at an average of 37.66

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Not sure why anyone would think he had done enough to overtake TRJ in the pecking order.

Date: 29 January, 2018 14:44

Where you are and when you are Chunk. Selectors have very short memories. Novel suggesting people should be in based on averages though......

(Sm72)

Date: 29 January, 2018 14:46

Chunky, I think he just forgot TRJ, rather than thinking CO had overtaken him.

Date: 29 January, 2018 15:18

[quote Shepton Paul 2]Anderson's still cutting the mustard; not so sure about Broad.

Just how does one cut mustard, SP? I am not fond of the stuff and so have no trouble cutting it out but I don't know how one holds it steady and makes an incision.

Answers on a piece of toast, please.

LoL

Date: 29 January, 2018 15:24

Just watching highlights of yesterday's ODI, and seeing Steve Smith yet again walking off shaking his head, made me wonder: does anyone know why on earth he wasn't banned for his awful dissent against the umpires when given out on review in the third ODI last week?

He was given out caught low down by Buttler - I don't think it was a great decision, but he walked slowly off muttering, kicking the ground and shaking his head. I don't think it's his first offence and, as captain, I said to myself there's a ban on its way. But he's played on, and I've heard nothing...?

Date: 29 January, 2018 15:29

Think you've answered your own question LoL: on toast. And no, I don't know the derivation...can't stand it myself either.

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2018 15:41

Perhaps it is difficult to cut a mustard seed?

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2018 16:13

I think you can cut the mustard or presumably a mustard seed if you can hack it particularly if you've got it on toast.

Date: 29 January, 2018 16:14

Just to muddy the situation (which is what I usually try to do):

[www.phrases.org.uk]

LoL

Date: 29 January, 2018 17:12

Smith does it all the time LoL and has been doing it since the Third Umpire was introduced. I asked about his habit earlier in this thread before I even knew he had done it in the third Test (bad decision I agree).

(Sm72)

Current Page: 2 of 58
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net