Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: T20
Posted by: Cleavo (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2018 21:54

Why not share on here with fellow Grockles then WSM fan? 😉

Yep, well aware of that too regarding Azhar Ali. Just worried we may have missed the boat that’s all........

What if Corey’s back goes again and we are left with no fit overseas player?

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2018 21:58

Then we will cope like last year but not compete in the latter stages of the Blast. We aren't a cohesive or consistent T20 unit and need people to build a new unit around.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Cleavo (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2018 22:03

Exactly Grockle, which is why getting a second overseas player in is essential.

Given Corey’s back problems I wonder if we’ll play him solely as a batter and only bowl him if and when required.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/06/2018 22:03 by Cleavo.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2018 23:01

I am making the profoundly noble gesture of not attending any home T20 matches this year so that others greatly more deserving than I am may have one extra chance of a seat - and reduction in their bank balance.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2018 10:34

Mike TA1, Honorary Members have access to the Long Room and the 1875 club, so i cannot see many sitting in the "Hill".

Long Room will be crowded as is the norm for t20's but plenty of space in the 1875.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 10:49 by Roger ivanhoe.

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2018 11:01

So they do have more choice of where to sit.

Date: 01 July, 2018 13:29

I'd choose the 1875 every time. It is excellent whem they turn it into the press box.

(Sm72)

Date: 01 July, 2018 14:43

Ha,Ha, only during International ECB controlled matches Grockle.

At least you had plenty of space during the Women's T20's last week.

Date: 01 July, 2018 15:41

Very true although it was surprisingly busy having said that. Nowadays there is a women's press corps following the girls around whereas before there were the 'odd' reporters (and some were very odd choices) who had been sent by their papers. Scyld Berry was there for this event and others were expected but did not get there or I didn't see them in the areas.

Using the 1875 always makes me smile seeing as we built the Somerset Pavilion with a 'purpose built' media centre that cannot cope with SKY and the press arriving at the same time!! Just like the old media facilities couldn't.

Hmmmm

(Sm72)

Posted by: cricketharris (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2018 15:52

Probably too many hangers-on in the press box sometimes making it too crowded.

Date: 01 July, 2018 17:25

Difficult for that to happen CH.

All the people there have to have credentials that are applied for each year and are given on the provision of evidence that the person with the credentials has a legitimate reason for having those press credentials.

If it's something like the International ones then a second application has to be made and authorised before your credentials will be accepted by the barcode readers on the gates so keeping the number down to what the place can cope with is in the hands of the media people in charge.

There are sometimes players who come into the box because they are on the BBC commentary or are blagging a view from the top of the pavilion (the box is smaller but the view is very good) and we have the odd management coming up to show people around or whatever.

But you have to get past the gate and building stewards in order to get to the top (two levels in the Somerset Pavilion) so you have to wear the credentials all the time (and they aren't exactly small).

In the box, the two Richards Walsh and Latham are the final police line and 'hangers on' don't get past them.

There are times when people like me who do not earn their living from what is written and observed will move out for the working press to get access to the main places and we also do not report things said until the working press have got their deadlines in (Cove's injury was the most recent aspect - the press box knew on Friday but it was not to be reported until 10:30am on Saturday after the ECB press release).

We have a privileged position and it isn't given all that often so you have to appreciate it and understand that it is a working environment. Believe it or not the ECB has started to provide an 'etiquette' leaflet for people - and sometimes it is needed.

The only time it has been absolutely mad was the Pakistan game 3 days after the no ball tampering incident when we had 'cricket' press from everywhere. I went to the old media centre to give working journalists space and found out later that Grockles had been allocated a space in the press box because we were part of the local press presence at home games. "Fair choked I up" that did.

So not many hangers on get in CH

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 17:36 by Grockle.

Posted by: cricketharris (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2018 18:37

No, not many, Grockle.

Date: 01 July, 2018 18:42

Gotta pay yer dues you see sir.

(Sm72)

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2018 18:50

Azhar Ali,Pakistan`s highest ranked Test batsman, is not in the 15-man squad for the current tri-series with Zimbabwe and Australia, or for the five ODIs between Zimbabwe and Pakistan that follow.

So, in theory, he would be available for Somerset in both formats.

Date: 01 July, 2018 19:07

Well it's promising news at least. But as others have pointed out, he's not really a T20 solution on his recent career which doesn't seem to include it as a format.

(Sm72)

Date: 01 July, 2018 19:20

I have had a comment that I said 'we' paid for the Somerset Stand in a recent post.

I actually did not state that.

I said 'we' built the Stand where 'we' meant the county had it built in the context of the sentence.

'We' of course did not pay for it because if I say 'we' I seem to be inferring in the mind of this particular poster that that includes me personally claiming to have paid for it (plus anyone else on Grockles who is not a member or a contributor by implication?).

Now although this poster has no knowledge of whether I made a donation to the building or not he is in fact right in this case.

I am not a member or a financial contributor to the building of the Stand nor would I claim to have done so.

However I have had the complaint and so I am replying to it so no one has the wrong idea.

I hope that clears things up.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 19:47 by Grockle.

Date: 02 July, 2018 15:53

Our first T20 appearance on SKY this year is the away match on
FRI 20TH JULY
Glamorgan 18:30 Somerset
Vitality Blast, Sky Sports Mix (18:00), Sky Sports Cricket (18:00)

Then the double Header at home on

SUN 29TH JULY
Western Storm 12:00 Loughborough Lightning
Kia Super League 2018, Sky Sports Cricket (11:55)

Somerset 16:00 Middlesex
Vitality Blast, Sky Sports Cricket (15:30)

followed by another double header AWAY on

WED 8TH AUGUST
Southern Vipers 14:30 Yorkshire Diamonds
Kia Super League 2018, Sky Sports Cricket (14:25), Sky Sports Mix (14:25), Sky Sports Main Event (14:30)

Hampshire 18:30 Somerset

Vitality Blast, Sky Sports Main Event (18:00), Sky Sports Cricket (18:00)

Date: 02 July, 2018 17:30

Thanks Roger.

(Sm72)

Posted by: JuliaW (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2018 19:12

The Glamorgan game appears not to be on Sky now - it appears to have been 'bumped' in favour of the Roses game at Old Trafford.

Sky Schedule

Date: 02 July, 2018 19:20

It may still be on S4C but the commentary will be in Welsh if that is the case.

(Sm72)

Current Page: 2 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net