MCC v Surrey
Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2019 09:08

The opening match of the domestic season is underway in Dubai. MCC won the toss and chose to bat and are currently 112-3. Tom Abell, batting at 5, has just joined Dan Lawrence in the middle and there is commentary on 5Live Sports Extra.

Happy New Season everyone!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 28/03/2019 11:19 by Grockle.

Re: MCC v Surrey
Date: 24 March, 2019 11:00

There is a silent live stream on You Tube apparently.

Tom out lbw Borthwick for 41.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2019 13:37

I understand the weather is pretty stable in Dubai but what IS the point of this game?

There will be no audience to speak of - even the ex pats aren't there in numbers as it is during the working week (week starts Sunday). The Emiratees don't care and its not covered on TV anywhere.

So MCC, County officials and invited dignitaries turn up? Do they watch the game? Are there official events etc where major items are discussed? Do they link with the local cricket? Or do they just go for the sunshine booze and food?

Sorry to pose such a difficult question.

I thought they'd decided to go to the Windies instead from the year before last? Didn't anyone care there either?

(Sm72)

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2019 17:54

It's not such a difficult question, the match should be played here so we could watch the legend Pete Trego. Worth a trip to London, although today was about 12C, it would be better put back a week or two later

Date: 24 March, 2019 21:36

Well the legendary one got 12 and Dom was run out being sent back from a quick single for 4 so Tom's 41 was the best Somerset performance of Day 1. The 7 hours are on YouTube.

MCC v Surrey

(Sm72)

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2019 13:00

Give Abell a bowl!

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2019 15:30

I am beginning to have some concerns over Dom Bess' bowling. Not based solely on this match in a Foreign land at the very start of an English season, but also on how it fell away after his Test appearances last year.

He is a fine young cricketer and bowling off - spin is the primary string to his bow which we are in desparate need of.

i have seen other cricketers who have mysteriously lost the art of bowling, and I don't want Dom to join their ranks.

Date: 25 March, 2019 16:31

I fear I have shared those concerns for some months now, but he still has time on his side.

Why the MCC has tried seven bowlers today but not given Abell a go is beyond me. Perhaps Captain Broad has never heard of him

LoL

Date: 25 March, 2019 20:13

Dom is a future legend. Great figures from Treeeeeeego.

Agree with you about Tom, who took 19 wickets in the CC last season

Date: 26 March, 2019 11:17

Interesting interview with Stuart Broad during tea interval. Pete Trego due to make a guest appearance about half an hour after tea (soon after 11.30 I'd guess) when he'll talk matters Mankad with the Beeb's Surrey man Mark Church

Date: 27 March, 2019 00:24

According to Twitter, there has been a request from Mr Mankad's family that this action not be called by his name. I'm uncertain of the history of it all but the request is there.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2019 11:06

Looks like Tom got a first ball duck today

Date: 27 March, 2019 11:16

Quote:
Grockle
According to Twitter, there has been a request from Mr Mankad's family that this action not be called by his name. I'm uncertain of the history of it all but the request is there.

call it "embarrowsment"?

Date: 27 March, 2019 11:20

I now think Grockle (00.24) and I (11.16) posted our contributions on the wrong thread.

LoL

Date: 27 March, 2019 15:01

Match ended by rain... Gloriously sunny in Somerset

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net