Re: CC1 Match 2. Somerset v Notts. 11-14th April 2019. Trent Bridge
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2019 12:40

Ohhhhh Jacky Boy!!

(Sm72)

Date: 13 April, 2019 12:40

I doubt the Fletcher shot had anything to do with the pitch!! Nightwatchman headfit!!

(Sm72)

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2019 12:41

Nightwatchman forgot that he's not the real number four in the Notts line-up!!! Played well, though.

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2019 12:41

Rush of blood from Fletcher (Sm126)

Date: 13 April, 2019 12:52

Sound captaincy from Tom, here.

Not over attacking.

I hate it when Captains over attack and just leak runs as a consequence.

Date: 13 April, 2019 13:02

A good effort from all of the seamers and a GREAT one from the GREAT man.

Date: 13 April, 2019 13:03

3 for 8 from 8. Bloody awesome.

(Sm72)

Date: 13 April, 2019 13:09

A tough decision for Mullaney and Samit at lunch. Two gnarled old pros. If Jack was just some young upstart that happened to be having a good day, then you'd look at the match situation and you'd think "We must attack the spinner - we can't let him just tie us down - if we attack him, he might fold." But they know it's very unlikely that canny Jack will be perturbed by being attacked ...and if they go on the attack like Fletcher and just hole out in the deep quickly, or get stumped, then they leave themselves open to criticism... tough call...

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2019 13:24

One wonders whether Notts took the right decision in playing Joe Clarke in this match, in view of what was going on elsewhere.

A ton and unbeaten 97 against Yorkshire, 2 and 2 here.

Date: 13 April, 2019 14:11

The GREAT Matthew Jack Leach (and, as Murray Walker would always say "I use the term advisedly") is, for my money, our best bowler since the GREAT Andrew Richard Caddick.

Absolute peach to do for Mullaney - with very good work from SD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2019 14:11 by AGod.

Date: 13 April, 2019 14:29

Oh, Marcus - what a GREAT day!! Excellent catch. Another superb piece of bowling.

Jack far, far, too good for Notts.

Posted by: Tumbles (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2019 14:52

That’ll do me babbers. Blackbird

Date: 13 April, 2019 14:54

One of our best performances for many years, IMO!!

We own Notts at the moment. Seven straight wins, most by overwhelming margins. But whereas a couple of those were end of season affairs vs a Notts outfit that had given up, I don't see that as the case here.

To win the CC you need to have batsmen who make the bowlers bowl them out, and bowlers who apply consistent pressure. We have the second of those things but we have too seldom had the first... BUT that George / Tom stand was the epitome of denying hope to the opposition and giving them nothing..........if IF IF IF IF IF IF .. that Bartlett/Abell stand is a sign of increased batting steel and things to come on that front?

Well then...

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2019 15:06

One word.......magnificent !

Two words- Jack Leach !

Grizzzly

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2019 15:10

Early days yet, but Somerset`s recent `failure` to bring in any new batters, heavily criticised here by the usual suspects, is rather in contrast with the Notts policy of waving their cheque book and poaching left right and centre from other Midlands counties.

Lets look at their five most recent `acquisitions` - Ben Duckett 0 and 4
(dropped on 0) in the current match; Ben Slater 24 and 34; Joe Clarke (who some say should have been our main target) 2 and 2; Zak Chappell not selected; Paul Coughlin already injured again after missing almost all 2018 for the same reason.

Give me your George Bartletts, Eddie Byroms, Tom Bantons, Dom Besses, Tim Rouses any day.

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)

Leach obviously wonderful. Credit too to BrooksyFerret; he and all the wicketless bowlers were so economical, keeping the pressure on.

Top man, Grizzly, is he not!?

I think that, had we gone with an all-seam attack, then the Notts innings would have gone on for some time and we might well have faced a nerve-wracking run chase. But with Leachy on that kind of form, the chances of not winning the match became virtually nil.

Date: 13 April, 2019 15:14

In the end, on what I thought a pretty good batting surface, there were only five scores of 50 or more in the whole match and, after our two tons the next best score on either side was only 58 (by Chris Nash, who then threw his wicket away). And for all the brilliant bowling by our guys... there's a key difference - Nash was looking really good, got to 58 and then did a typical Somerset thing and threw his wicket away. Abell and Bartlett got into the 50s and kept their noses down and ground Notts into the dust... GREAT to see.

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2019 15:25

Still a bit disappointed that our top spinner only takes wickets on specially-prepared bunsens like Ciderabad and Nottingmumbai, that our seamers only take wickets on greentops like Taunton and Trent Bridge, while the likes of Hildreth and Abell are just flat-track bullies who rack up easy runs on roads served up by cheating counties like Somerset and Notts. No wonder our players aren't good enough to be regular internationals.

Date: 13 April, 2019 15:26

Another encouraging facet is that we're up to played two, won two, having not yet got anything of any note at all from Azhar or Hildreth. I won't include Marcus any more on that list after today's acrobatics!

Current Page: 7 of 10
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net