Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: RLODC 1 And we have KENT!!
Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2019 22:54

I heard that Heino Kuhn injured his back on the bus journey to the ground (not quite on a par with Keith Parsons allegedly getting a back spasm putting on his socks prior to day 3 of a CC match at the Rose Bowl, but close).

That has to be one of the most clinical performances I've seen in a while. Was good to see two bowlers who haven't played in the championship matches just slotting into the attack and taking wickets. Lewis Gregory has 18 wickets in the CC yet virtually rested with the ball today. The batting was good but scarily still room for improvement.

Happy days 😊

Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2019 09:10

It is quite something when career-best performances, with both bat and ball, by Cove are overshadowed by the performance of a teammate. A friend of mine told me that an innings by Banton in a Seconds match a couple of years ago was the best he had ever seen at that level - and, having watched part of Banton’s innings yesterday, I can believe that. If he continues in that form, a place will surely have to be found for him in four-day cricket.

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2019 10:01

Grockle,(Re the ECcool smiley not sure much blame can placed on Andrew Cornish's feet, a certain former Chairman and former C.E.O should take most of the flack from Members on the mess that the ECB have created.

But I know you have rightly voiced your feeling many times on the matter very strongly on Twitter, with negative response from the ex Chairman.

He (A.N) has spent a lot of twitter postings on demanding a re-vote on Brexit because he felt people did not know what they were voting for (that's his opinion) and yet Somerset Members were NOT given the chance to vote on the proposals the ECB were putting forward.

I will always feel both their tenures at the Club were spoilt by their action at that time.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2019 12:29

Banton is indeed a very impressive young batsman. I watched much of the live-streaming of his innings at Radlett earlier in the week and he put me in mind of the young Trescothick - always looking for an opportunity to score, upright and fearless and not afraid to play the unorthodox shot. Truly a very exciting prospect.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2019 12:41

Oh I am well aware of Mr Nash's involvement in all of this Roger. I am also constantly told that Mr Cornish should not be blamed for anything as he is the CEO not the Chair. Are you therefore suggesting that Mr Clark(e?) is to blame for the second vote without membership consultation? Is the argument really that the CEO did not have any involvement in the issue of the club's business activity in 2020 or a say in the matter of a possible £1.3m injection into Somerset's coffers if the vote went in the ECB's favour? Wasn't that given as the justification of the vote? Mr Clark is not the finsncial officer of the county.

i did not give Mr Lavendar that 'get out of jail free' card when Mr Nash was Chair. I see less reason to give Mr Cornish such leeway given his colleague's condition

My understanding is that our Chair is extremely unwell and wheelchair bound (and I'm sure I post for all wishing him well and that he returns to good health). He may have to stand down because of this

This is a decision made by Somerset. I'm not particularly interested who is told to declare it. I know who is on the radio representing the club and who seems pretty understandably unable to function as a club official at the moment.

'Somerset' a member's club have taken MAJOR decisions without referring them for guidance to their membership The representatives of that club cannot, as I say, have it both ways and Mr Cornish's comments yesterday with Anthony said he liked one thing while his organisation's actions were allowing the governing body to destroy what he likes with his cooperation.

I don't like that. I'm sure you don't like that. It seems the only issue is who to blame. If you get a moment Roger please tell me who you think that is because it can't be Andy Nash any more because he hasn't been here for s while now.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/04/2019 12:47 by Grockle.

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2019 14:10

Grockle, certainly not defending Andrew Cornish or his comments on the radio, but feel the pathway for the ECB changes were in place prior to his arrival, leaving very little room for objection (even if AC has personal reservations).

I think Charles Clark was Vice Chairman at the time, and not sure of his opinion.
Malcolm Derry as Treasurer at the time would also have been involved in talks.

But surely the Chairman and the CEO at the time must take responsibility for firstly not giving the Members the chance to vote, and then taking the decision to go along with the ECB, because they felt it was in the interest of the Club and Cricket long term.

I just hope they prove to be be right, but I have my doubts.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2019 17:25

I certainly agree about the poisoned chalice given to the new boys.

I'm not a member but I took offence at the patronising/pro ECB marketing nature of 'Q&A' sessions around the first decision when our officials thought they could get short term gain and believed they would not lose out in the medium term.

Yes they had some sort of promise which the ECB supposedly reneged on but the excuse of voting 'for the good of the game as a whole' was a) not their job or b) amazingly niaive at best and something personal at its worst.

Given the position as it arrived with the new officials, I could have been happy with an abstention OR a positive vote with member consultation on the second round. More patronising of the membership and a decision pretty baldly based on 'take the money' was not the way to go.

I do think the county's are (Mueller reference: f***d) and the nature of cricket in Taunton needs some very important economic conversation given the 2020 sitiation.

It certainly isn't the time to go on the radio and go on about how 'glorious' it all is and how dreams have come true. The world has changed and cosily ignoring it is not the position required.

The massive planning to manage our transition into a strong cricket unit over the last decade may very well come to fruition at the same time as the ECB takes away from the county the opportunities to use it. That wasn't my dream and it is certainly not 'glorious'.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/04/2019 17:48 by Grockle.

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2019 23:02

Apologies for the delay all. There is going to be a bit of that this week I am afraid. This part of the cricket season has not been organised with the rest of my life and my reports in mind.

You can now find my report on the Kent RLODC on my website through this link:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

It is the first post down after the sticky at the top and is headed 'Relentless'.

It is also here:

Relentless

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 21/04/2019 16:05 by Grockle.

Re: Kent RLODC Relentless
Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2019 11:08

Kent are really struggling to get 11 men on the field at the moment.

Yesterday, when they lost after just 40 overs to Sussex, they had to include three players already carrying injuries - Matt Renshaw, who suffered back spasms throughout his century knock, Darren Stevens, who had to leave the field when he aggravated a side strain, and local lad (yes he was born in Sussex) Fred Klaassen.

Already unavailable through injury were temporary captain Heino Kuhn, Calum Haggett, Grant Stewart, Ivan Thomas and Mitch Claydon; at the IPL Sam Billings and Joe Denly; and for family reasons Daniel Bell-Drummond.

Sussex, who Somerset play at Brighton on Wednesday, have one injury problem - Ollie Robinson, the championship`s second leading wicket-taker last summer, is out with a left shoulder injury.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/04/2019 11:09 by cricketjerry-mouse.

Current Page: 5 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net