Current Page: 1 of 12
'The Nearly Men' Lord's Final
Posted by: Grockles.com (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2019 11:31

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2019 10:16 by Grockle.

The final 50 over Final at Lords
Posted by: nelliec (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 18:40

With just three days remaining before our biggest game in years, in what could be the final domestic cup to be played at Lord's some disturbing news to see Tom Banton struggling around the county ground this afternoon, after retiring with a back spasm whilst scoring 67 no for the seconds today.
Another major factor is the inclusion of James Vince and Liam Dawson in the world cup squad, which makes them both unavailable for Hants on Saturday

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2019 19:42 by Grockle.

Re: The final final at Lords
Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 19:03

Any chance, I wonder, of Davies keeping wicket and Tom playing just as a batsman? If the back is, say, 95 percent by Saturday, might not want to aggravate it by having him keep wicket and yet might want to make the slight gamble on having him at the top of the order?

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 19:41

Ahh well I was hoping to be there but by the time the ECB had got its collective act together and confirmed things (some 8 days after initial enquiries and 3 automated responses from the office specifically for the final) the cost of travelling had doubled and so it will be finding places where I can get some of it live here instead.

As much as I wanted to be at the last one (for the moment), it is probably a good thing as the times that I have attended live finals we have lost while the times when I haven't we've won.

Here's hoping that continues.

(Sm72)

Date: 21 May, 2019 20:08

At who's expense AG. Would have to be Bartlett one would assume, and he deserves his place on merit.

Re: The final 50 over Final at Lords
Date: 21 May, 2019 20:11

Yes, I tend to agree. Not really a suggestion, but just a "I wonder," kind of thing. Tom B would be a big miss. And it's easy to say "don't gamble if there's any doubt at all," but - especially for one-day as opposed to four day games, I think teams sometimes do make small gambles - and if he's, say I say, 95%, then it would possibly only be a small gamble... but a slightly larger one if he has to keep wicket for 50 overs first...

Date: 21 May, 2019 20:24

Jason Kerr is hopeful that he will be fit, and says they will have a much better idea tomorrow morning.

Date: 21 May, 2019 20:27

I'm sure they will. Could all but vanish (the problem) over night.

If not, some sort of muscle relaxant might help.

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 21:10

He was walking around the ground at close of play, clearly in a lot of discomfort.

Time for the Club physio to earn his salary !

Grizzzly

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 21:56

Statement on Hampshire website:

"ECB made representations to ICC on behalf of the board and Hampshire Cricket in an attempt to ensure Liam Dawson and James Vince were available for their county for the Royal London One-Day Cup final.

ICC regulations around global tournaments are clear that squad players are not permitted to play in domestic cricket after the start of the Support Period (May 23) and while we understand the ICC decision we are nevertheless disappointed that it will lead to two leading international players missing our showpiece domestic final at Lord's.

ECB Representative"

[www.ageasbowl.com]

My question - is this the end of the matter i.e. Bransgrove isn't going to appeal?

Posted by: That Bloke With The Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 23:04

There was a little chap at the ground yesterday, about 8 years old, wearing a Tom Banton replica shirt with the sleeves around his knees and the hem down to his ankles. Evidently his parents had decided Banton is going to have a long Somerset career, and the poor lad is just going to have to grow into his replica shirt if he wants one.

I do hope for his sake he gets to see his hero in action on Saturday.

Posted by: Annunziata (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 02:40

Bants will play,no doubts.

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 09:07

I'll be there on Saturday, got my ticket for Edrich Upper...

I go to the Cup Final pretty much every year as it's convenient from where I live. Not seen my team there since 2001 (Boswell's game for some, Parsons' game for others). Can't wait, like a kid at Christmas - will be nice not just to cheer for Whoever's Playing Surrey.

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 09:17

Ten coaches going from Somerset.

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 09:27

Another abiding memory for me from 2001 is Afridi c Turner b Johnson. The ball spent longer in the air than it took for me to type this post.

Date: 22 May, 2019 09:35

Yes. Quite a lot longer, or so it seemed.

Posted by: Angell Face (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 09:49

I look forward to seeing us lift the trophy on Saturday and the fellow I shall be most pleased for is Brian Rose.

Posted by: Phantom (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 10:04

Quote:
milton Keane
Bants will play,no doubts.

Agree, he will be OK, if it was one of us we may be struggling but a professional sports club will get him back ok

Funny how the rumor about him have a hamstring injury went around so many various social media sites yesterday all off of one post on this forum !

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 11:21

Quote:
Mike TA1
Ten coaches going from Somerset.

That would please Shane Warne!

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Phrench Phil (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 19:33

[quote Bagpuss]Another abiding memory for me from 2001 is Afridi c Turner b Johnson.
A propos 'Turner', I read recently that there is a Rob Turner playing for Weston-Super-Mare.
Does anybody on this thread know if it is the same Rob Turner?

Current Page: 1 of 12
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net