Current Page: 1 of 21
Cricket World Cup 2019
Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2019 07:36

With two days to go before the opening match, thought it was about time it had its own thread.

Gareth Batty has previewed all the host grounds for the Guardian. Taunton - "...There is always a brilliant, partisan crowd there."

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2019 21:46 by Grockle.

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019
Posted by: geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2019 08:11

Is partisan a one word definition of "we don't like Gareth Batty"

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2019 10:58

I don't particularly think we are 'partisan' (except in relation to the Gareth). It just isn't a place where the Surrey captain is particularly welcome but though we want Somerset victories I think we are pretty balanced about good cricket.

Unfortunately Mr Batty indicated in one very prominent event that he does not have an individual understanding of what that means and we DO have longish memories.

We definitely need a thread for it.

It is called the 'Cricket World Cup'. It isn't a 'World' cup of cricket because it discriminates against at least double firgure members of the world of cricket in relation to how it chooses who is 'worthy' to be there.

This would not be acceptable in many other sports where 'minor' contenders are actively welcomed to come and show their abilities and to be actively involved in the 'world perception of their sport.

So it will be promoted and we will have a world champion team. I won't be particularly surprised personally because it will be one of 8 who are permanent members of the 'boys club' that keeps the power and the finance in their own little clique.

I'd like to see the 'minor' sides do well. It is good that Afghanistan get to play ALL the best sides. They will learn and they will come back better next time but at least another 4 to 6 sides should be doing this. Not playing everyone but playing at a higher consistent level against world class professionals. Learning and doing it on a world stage where their own class could be seen by the cricket supporters from other countries.

The 'minor' countries will play 36 games each JUST to qualify for the qualification competition for the next World Cup.... how many will the other teams already on the sheet for that final play?

So off we go but let's keep in perspective that this has very little to do with the 'World' of cricket.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/05/2019 11:01 by Grockle.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2019 12:11

Always a fine dividing line between the desire (that there should be, but probably isn't) to provide routes for "lesser," nations to improve, and the need to ensure competitive balance in a tournament.

Personally, I think more contests, outside of the World Cup against "Lions," level type sides would be a good idea. For the Lions, and their equivalents from SA, Aus, INd etc, playing away from home in some of these places could be good for player development and yet these 'A' sides will also be of a higher standard than the domestic competitions in these countries .. and so would give Associate Member nations more chance to improve.

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2019 15:08

https://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2019%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Royal%20London%200ne-day%20cup/Viridor%20building.jpg

Taunton is gearing up for the World Cup, This is on the side of the Viridor building.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2019 16:04

Are they using a yellow ball?

Date: 28 May, 2019 16:17

It isn't a World Cup in the sense that, say, the football world cup is which, despite my cynicism as regards Fifa does, at least, have a competition that all member nations can enter and potentially win, as well as over the years expanding the finals so more countries take part.

The cricket World Cup is designed chiefly as a money making event and the format is chosen to ensure India play as many matches as possible, definitely play Pakistan and have a high chance of qualifying for the latter stages.

Date: 28 May, 2019 17:14

Yep. Also the reason why Afghanistan and Bangla get a better view of the big boys than others, Why the US and China aren't given much help and the Northern Europeans are sort of pushed to play for England if they can or to take up the county game.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/05/2019 20:57 by Grockle.

Date: 29 May, 2019 18:48

https://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2019%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Temporary%20stand%20for%20the%20World%20Cup.jpg

Temporary Stand for the World Cup.

Not many parking spaces will remain after it is finished.

Date: 30 May, 2019 10:32

Interesting that they introduced Jos as 'from Taunton' rather than 'Lancashire's'. They really rate him as THE player of this tournament Go well sir.

(Sm72)

Date: 30 May, 2019 10:35

Johnny B gone first ball to that Tahir bloke! God I hate that man in short form cricket!!

(Sm72)

Date: 30 May, 2019 20:59

Thr Stokes catch is very special but I've seen better.... anyone else?

(Sm72)

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 21:01

Agreed Grockle.

I seem to remember Paul Collingwood taking an absolute when playing for England some years ago.

Grizzzly

Date: 30 May, 2019 21:04

Jamie Overton has caught at least two better than that in the last 12 months

Date: 30 May, 2019 21:50

https://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2013%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/County%20Championship%20Matches%202013/Somerset%20v%20Durham%20starting%206th%20June%202013/PeterTregoctPaulCollingwoodbldRyanBuckley.jpg

Grizzly, Paul Collingwood didn't need to play for England, this was when he was playing for Durham v Somerset in 2013 when he caught Peter Trego in the CC.

Posted by: Grizzzly (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 23:17

Wow, thatโ€™s a fantastic photo Mike !

Grizzzly

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 00:44

Vince and Dawson rested at Lords for 6 weeks of drinks carrying. Ha!

Date: 31 May, 2019 01:57

I have no problem with Stokes' catch, it is a very special piece of fielding but 'the greatest catch ever seen' even though that is of course a matter of opinion?

That Collingwood catch was very very special. The best I ever saw was Keith Dutch taking out Darren Lehmann at Bath in a Festival match - well before I saw this;

Zeeshan Maqsood

It's mine. I think it's better.

(Sm72)

Date: 31 May, 2019 10:57

Our T20 opener playing against the Windies this morning. Looks good again.

(Sm72)

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 11:17

Heโ€™s very accomplished.

However... heโ€™s also not as explosive as Corey A.

More of a candidate to bat the whole 20 overs, and make 75, perhaps from 60 balls.. whilst letting others bat around him. So a bit more onus on Lewis, especially as no Mybs, either. Lewis and Tom B to be the key explosive elements, one fancies..

Current Page: 1 of 21
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net