Current Page: 1 of 19
Surrey - We’re Coming To You
Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 17:49

RLODC Winners 2019 against the CC Winners 2018, at Guildford Mon. 3rd June

130 miles from the comfort of Taunton, but we’ve got Jamie Overton back. And hopefully a few canine friends to accompany us on the way

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 18:09 by Grockle.

Re: Surrey - We’re Coming To You
Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 12:51

Reading between the lines it appears we are going to be lining up as follows.......

Tres Azhar James Tom George Steve Craig Jamie Tim Jack Jack

I do not expect to see Lewis again this month, maybe not until T20s if its a proper side strain.

At least we have our 2 tallest fastest aggressive fast bowlers to try and avoid a repeat of last years Guildford effort.

After the results this week we have a huge chance this month on the road to really get some daylight on the rest.
If we can beat Surrey that's our biggest threat extinguished by early June.

Essex could be our main threat.
Not scared of Yorkies and Hamps hit by WC now & a VERY aged seam attack.

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 12:55

Still Tres??

Opening partnerships.

I need to add, Marcus was not the first batsman out in all cases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2019 13:07 by Mike TA1.

Date: 31 May, 2019 13:26

Yes still Tres.
He played 2s match this week which doesnt suggest he is being dropped or intending to pack it in.
We have won 3 out of 4 with him in the team.
Runs are of course his currency but he is a huge part of our set up.
He has to score runs soon but i'm pretty sure he will get Guildford & Canterbury before our next week off.

Nothing suggests the club are ready to drop him, or him walk away, yet.....

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 13:47

We won games inspite of Trescothick, not because of him.

It’s always flawed thinking to think ‘Team won, keep same team.’

The correct question should always be ‘How can this be improved upon?’

Personally, I also think we’d be daft to gamble on the fitness of Jack Brooks. Didn’t play the seconds game. Has a long injury history behind him. Not worth the risk until he has proven *match* fitness (not a Test in the nets).

Lower order also too long in that team.

Not saying they won’t pick that team, just that it would be inadvisable to do so.

Date: 31 May, 2019 14:02

As for Marcus playing the seconds game, that should have been seen as a chance for him to provide a strong case for his inclusion, NOT as an indication that he should be a shoo-in.

53 runs, vs Eddie Byrom’s unbeaten and match-saving 93, conspicuously failed to provide said strong case.

I fear that we shall soon be in a Maynard - Allenby type situation, where personal links confound what should be an objective team selection decision.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 14:10

How is Marcus 'huge part' of 'our setup' wsm?

As an experienced player and mentor I can see that but as a team mate? He will be a calming influence in the dressing room - but doesn't have to play to be that.

On the field? He tends to be there as a batsman with Ali and Hilda... he's rarely there longer.

He doesn't bowl and he isn't captain so other than an advisor and a gifted close fielder, how is his inclusion more 'huge' presently than Max Waller's would be?

He has stuff to offer but he won't offer it in the batting order where we need it and can offer his other contributions offield in a senior capacity.

If he is a 'huge' part of our onfield setup then we need to move away from it because his onfield time is sadly limited going forward.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2019 14:20 by Grockle.

Date: 31 May, 2019 14:11

Let me also say this: Keep picking any pro player for long enough and they’ll eventually score some runs, by the law of averages.

But that fact doesn’t mean that the ‘decision to keep faith with them,’ is automatically vindicated. Such vindication can only come if the first score after a bad run is then swiftly followed by more good scores. So, if Trescothick makes, say, 80 runs in the match at Guildford then that would only vindicate keeping with him if more good scores were subsequently made.

Otherwise, if you get naff all - naff all - naff all - naff all - 80 - naff all - naff all, then by ‘keeping the faith,’ what you’ve actually got in return is one 80 and two naff alls (still wouldn’t be good enough)PLUS the opportunity cost of other runs that might have been made by somebody else in previous games, had the struggling player been dropped sooner.

I suppose one thing in MT’s favour is that it’s away. Taunton has become a house of horrors for him, to the extent that I’d use the word ‘indefensible,’ about his inclusion for this game, were it at home, given average at home of about 8 since the start of 2018.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2019 14:33 by AGod.

Date: 31 May, 2019 15:02

As i say, nothing has been done or said by the club or Marcus to suggest he wont play on Monday.

Most on here have written him off but from those that actually count there has been no hint he will not be opening at Guildford.

It has not even been a press story overly, just on here i have seen any real debate.

Fingers crossed Marcus along with Andy Jason & Tom know more what is best for the club than Agod & chums.

We seem to have done fairly well thus far beung unbeaten in the champo & winners of a Lords final, maybe they actually know what they are doing.

Date: 31 May, 2019 15:49

.... so maybe they also knew what they were doing when Jamie was encouraged to go to Wantage Road...... what think you, WSM?

Or is this a case of they only ‘know what they’re doing,’ when they agree with you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2019 15:56 by AGod.

Posted by: Angell Face (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 16:27

Brilliant A God, especially the last sentence. "Pot" and "Kettle" come to mind.

Date: 31 May, 2019 16:32

Yes thats right they got that one very wrong.
As Jamie proved Saturday.
And injuries to Brooks Davey Lewis "may" have been avoided if we had used our squad of 6 quicks better, guess we'll never know.
I understood the use of Davey Brooks etc in April given conditions but we could have managed / done things better as we were always going to need a fit happy bunch to get us through to September.

Date: 31 May, 2019 16:41

Also how do we know Jamie was encouraged to go to Northants?

As per his interview today it sounds to me very much as though it was Jamie who wanted/needed to go to play some cricket.

There was no 2s match and that level is no good for him anyway so he sought competitive action elsewhere rather than. A brave and commendable move.

Given Brooks injury after Surrey im very sure given the choice Andy/Jason would have liked the options of having Jamie on hand to use as from clubs perspective we'd want all options available to us.

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 16:43

WSM, So are you saying that you believe that Marcus is involved in the Team Selection, and that he will decided when to step down, and give Eddie, or Tom B a chance.

Date: 31 May, 2019 16:50

There was intense debate this time last year on the dropping of Alastair Cook from England. Now look at his form for Essex and he won't even be in the Ashes.

Marcus is wise enough to know when to go and should make his own decision. It will be incredible for him to bow out as part of the title winning team. However, if it's in jeopardy at any point of the season because of his scoring, he should stand aside

Date: 31 May, 2019 16:52

Nope not involved in selection.
But a huge influence on the team.
The rest look up to him.
I imagine his advice on the field to Tom is invaluable also.
Bottom line is he needs to score runs and he will know that more than anyone.

There is also the effect leaving him out and press etc around that may upset what we have going currently.
But equally he cant keep out Banton Byrom etc if he isnt scoring.

I expect him to get Guildford & Canterbury.
If they both go badly i'm sure discussions internally may happen before Chelmsford naturally.

Date: 31 May, 2019 17:11

3 of Surrey's 4 matches have been away from home, I wonder if other counties are preparing pitches to nullify them. The draw at Taunton was a good result for us.

That said, what kind of pitch is expected at Guildford? No one is saying to go with 2 spinners despite the Batty and Patel show yesterday. So maybe a more lively track?

Date: 31 May, 2019 17:35

LaLa - game was at Edgbaston!

Angell Face - not denying kettle and black
at all, but at least I admit it.

WSM - I don’t buy that press story on Marcus being left out could possibly have worse effect on team morale than seeing him trudge back to the dressing room, disconsolately, after yet another failure.

Date: 31 May, 2019 17:36

Also, WSM, has it not occurred to you that maybe - just maybe - Jamie performed better last Saturday, than he otherwise would have done, had he played seconds stuff?

Date: 31 May, 2019 17:41

Also, WSM, you seem to have done a reverse-ferret on the Jamie move. All the talk, including from Jove himself was about how ‘difficult it was,’ to be away from the boys (implying he wasn’t thrilled about it) and you were full of how bad a decision it was by the club...yet now you suggest Jamie fully embraced going out (as he should have done, IMO)
M

Current Page: 1 of 19
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net