Dear old Sussex by the sea,
Poor old Sussex by the sea,
You can tell them all,
cos they know @#$%& all,
In Sussex by the sea.

Re: Poyntzless Quiz Questions
Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 29 November, 2017 11:57

I am pretty certain that FW and TS know the answer to this one, though I am too intellectually challenged to deal with the former's abstruseness.

We can add Malcolm (not Max!) Waller to the list and there are others.

Anybody else want to join in?

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 29 November, 2017 13:53

LoL

Just to help you along a bit look for a railway station on a branch line which closed to passenger traffic in 1933 and to goods traffic on 26 June 1971 but which ran one passenger special on the day it closed to goods. The link to the answer to that question is the answer to your original question.

As to the Iraq Inquiry not everyone linked to the answer to your question was a cricketer although the one I referred to did bowl a very long and testing spell.

Now what could be easier than that.

Farmer.

Date: 27 December, 2017 12:31

Farmer White's supplementary questions have proved too complex for my ordinary brain, but to revert to the original question, a few of you guessed that the link was Brighton College, which boasts the following among its former pupils:

Sammy Woods
Matt Prior
Matt Machan
Carl Hopkinson
Neil Lenham
Joe Gatting
Michael Thornely
Malcolm Waller
Bazid Khan
Holly Colvin
Sarah Taylor
Laura Marsh

I greatly doubt that worry about this question kept anybody awake over the Christmas period.

LoL

Date: 27 December, 2017 13:27

Lol

The railway station I refer to was Kemp Town Station which was the local station for Brighton College.

The link to the Iraq Inquiry was that Sir John Chilcott attended Brighton College.

Now what could be more poyntzless than that on a cricket website.

Farmer

Date: 27 December, 2017 15:54

Really useful information, FW! I end the year knowing two more things than I did at the beginning, though having forgotten countless other things during its course.

LoL

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2018 18:29

The title of this esteemed thread reminded me of the season which must have ranked as the most unsuccessful one in the club's long history in the County Championship.

Any offers as to which one?

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2018 18:58

Weren't we relegated in 2002? Have there been worse than that?

(Sm72)

Date: 13 January, 2018 19:54

Could well be one of those four consecutive seasons in the early 50s when we were 17/17 every year.

Date: 13 January, 2018 21:37

Even worse than those IMO.

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2018 22:30

That may depend whether the Poyntz of this question is ESM or HS. My guess would be the former, as he was captain in what must be one of the county's worst ever seasons. A century from Tchaikovsky.

Date: 14 January, 2018 09:58

No, think more of the teatime television programme on BBC1.

Date: 14 January, 2018 16:36

Uncle Alexander or Uncle Richard?

If it's a worse season than 1912 it must be truly dreadful.

Date: 14 January, 2018 18:15

It was, Bobstan.

The whole country was in mourning that particular year, not just Somerset supporters.

Date: 14 January, 2018 18:49

1910. Somerset finished bottom with no wins and no points and therefore 0% not to mention 15 losses and only 3 draws. Derbyshire just above us with 2 points and 10%. Kent won the CC with 19 points and 76%. 1 point for a win that year and no points for a draw or a loss.Counties played different numbers of games hence the percentages. King Edward VII died. By 1912 Somerset had advanced to third from bottom.

Unless of course I have missed the Poyntz.

Date: 14 January, 2018 22:51

No, you have not and are spot on in all respects, Farmer.

I hadn't realised myself that we had gone a whole season being pointless until I was in my local bookshop a few days ago. Whilst there I perused the sports section and noticed a book ('Final Wicket') detailing the First Class cricketers killed in the First World War. As I normally do in such circumstances, I referred to the book's index and then turned to a few pages in which Somerset were mentioned.

There I read briefly an account of the tragic death of Percy Hardy in 1916, and in the course of it I learnt that he had his best ever season with both bat and ball in 1910, whereupon it was mentioned that Somerset had a truly disastrous season.

Hence my question.

Date: 15 January, 2018 00:42

Clarence

I must confess your ‘mourning’ clue opened the door.

There have only been four monarchical deaths during Somerset’s time in the CC largely due to the longevity of our current Monarch:

1901: Victoria. Somerset 13th (of 15). 4 wins. - 42.86%. 1 point for a win and – 1 point for a defeat.

1910: Edward VII. Somerset 16th (of 16). 0 wins. 0%. 1 point for a win.

1936: George V. Somerset 7th (of 17). 9 wins. 41.53%. Points system not shown in the table but clearly included points for a draw at least.

1952: George VI. Somerset 17th (of 17). 2 wins. 44 points. All teams played 28 matches so no percentages. Points system not clear from table but appears to have bonus points for first innings lead in drawn and possibly lost matches.

It would appear that in years where a monarch dies Somerset have a disastrous season unless there is also an abdication in the same year.

Farmer

Date: 15 January, 2018 08:07

I'm very pleased, Farmer White, that further to your final sentence you refrained from making any of the obvious potential points concerning 2018!

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2018 13:49

1972 (Edward VIII) 4 wins, 2 losses, 14 draws. 10 points for a win, nothing for a draw. Bonus points during first 85 overs. Somerset achieved mid table respectability with 145 points and 11th place (one above Surrey)

Date: 07 February, 2018 20:06

Mickey Demetriou (come on, you've all heard of him) is achieving something this (Wednesday) evening (as far as I know) not done since Leslie Compton...

LoL

Current Page: 174 of 177
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net