Current Page: 2 of 177
Re: Poyntzless Quiz Questions
Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2003 15:56

And did Abbas Ali Baig ever captain Pakistan? I can't find any evidence but I know somebody like Palareit will have the answer in a trice.

Several Somerset players have surnames ending with the same three letters. Included among them are:

3 slow left arm bowlers all capable of hitting the ball quite far
A stalwart batsman of the late forties/early fifties
A mercurial batsman of the nineties
One of the greatest overseas players we have signed
and - to give it away -
two relatives already mentioned quite recently

I give Palareit five minutes for this one,

LoL

Posted by: Shepton Paul (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2003 16:13

Blackwell, Breakwell, ???
???
Lathwell
Chappell (surely not Snell!)
Chappell, Barnwell

Date: 25 September, 2003 16:26

We definitely need Palareit to fill the historical gaps. I must admit I'd forgotten about Snell - amazing that.

The two Barnwells are there.

Incidentally, mention above of T C Lowry reminds me of a story that my mum told me. When he was asked by county official where he was born, he said "Welliongton." "Well, that makes you a native, you're qualified for us."

In fact, he was born in Hawkes Bay.

LoL

Posted by: Palairet (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2003 20:21

Well done Mr. Wickham – a warm welcome to you.

I certainly did have in mind off – spinner Haydn Sully who moved to Northamptonshire due to the presence of an established top class off – spinner in the side – Brian Langford. This meant that he had very few opportunities in the first XI for Somerset, so he moved to another county. The move was a good one for him and he took over 100 wickets in a season for his new county in 1966.

And Mr. Wickham, in reply to your question, I think the all – rounder is none other than Graham (‘Budgie’) Burgess. In May, 1973 he scored 114 not out against Warwickshire at Edgbaston and followed this up eight days later with 129 v. Gloucestershire at Taunton. I remember John Arlott commenting on this fact on the radio and T.V. several times.

Now, Mr. Lol.

I am sorry that I did not beat your five – minute target, but you see, I have had to do my bit for Queen and Country today. Never mind, better late than never!

Abbas Ali Baig played Test Cricket for India, but never captained them.

Shepton Paul has by now answered most of your question. Well done, Paul.

The missing slow left arm bowler (and the finest of all three – up until now anyway) is that roly – poly favourite of mine - Horace Hazell.
The stalwart batsman of the late forties / early fifties would be Leslie Angell.

Now, here is another - - - - - ell, although much less well known!

You see, he started a match in the late 1910’s as an - - - - - ell, owing to some kind of an identity crisis. Then, he became what he always had been during the latter stages of the match – although that was still confusing because there was another just like him!

I can’t offer any Yak Butter Tea, but maybe a pint in the Members' Bar at Taunton next year for whoever gets this one. Yes, I suppose that I shall be back to see at least one days play next year!

Posted by: Togpatsy (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2003 21:53

That was Sydney Rippon, who played in a match in 1919 whilst on sick leave from work under his grandmother's name "S.Trimmell".

Incidentally, I was told that the late tory politician Geoffrey Rippon was the son of either Sydney or his twin brother Dudley. Does anyone know which?

Date: 25 September, 2003 22:34

Congratulations Togpatsy.

A pint of ale (or cider) awaits you in the members’ bar at Taunton next season.

A.E.S. (Sydney) Rippon was in 1919 a civil servant employed by the Inland Revenue. He was on sick leave when asked to play for Somerset against Gloucestershire at Taunton, and therefore should not have been playing. However, he was needed by his county to play, so he appeared on the scorecard and in the Press as S. Trimnell – his grandmother’s name. Apparently, everyone treated it as a huge joke when it came to light what had happened. Somerset won the game by 7 wickets with Sydney Rippon scoring 92 and 58 not out.

Apparently, the Civil Service found out before too long, and by all accounts it did not affect Rippon’s promotion prospects. By the time that ‘Wisden’ was printed, A.E.S. Rippon was back in the records.

The late Lord Rippon (I believe of Hexham) – formerly Sir Geoffrey Rippon, QC, MP was indeed the son of A.E.S. (Sydney) Rippon, and therefore the nephew of A.D.E. (Dudley) Rippon.

Well done, once again, Togpatsy

Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2003 19:42

Thank you for your kind welcome, Mr Palairet. And you are, of course, correct in saying that the all-rounder in question was Graham Burgess. I don't remember John Arlott mentioning these deeds. But I do recall him, when commenting on a Sunday League game, telling viewers -with a straight face- that they could tell which of the fielders was Joel Garner by the fact that he had one sleeve rolled up higher than the other.
To follow the questions from 'ell, how about this one: who dubbed Colin Dredge "the demon of Frome"?

Date: 26 September, 2003 20:50

It may have been Alan Gibson who once said something like :- "Where does our new demon bowler come from?", and the answer of course was Frome.

Oh, happy days.

Date: 26 September, 2003 21:22

Yes,you have it in one. Alan Gibson would only have referred to the demon after having regaled his readers with the story of how he had got to the ground(as often as not late, thanks to the efforts of British Rail) that day. As you say: happy days.

Date: 29 September, 2003 07:16

As I recall, there was a glorious red-headed barmaid at Didcot who was partly responsible for the delay. Can anyone remember her name? (Not a quiz question! I simply can't remember)

The great game with those reports in The Times in the Seventies was to wonder whether he'd leave any room to talk about the cricket.

LoL

Date: 29 September, 2003 07:40

And now here's a really profound one ...

What links Roebuck, Moseley and Robinson (the immortal PJ)? And I'm sure there are more out there.

I suggest that nobody should actually answer this question, but simply add more names who unarguably belong to this list. If your names fit, you will know you are right. I shall simply say I agree (or not) and eventually we'll have a monster and totally Poyntzless list and 90% of us will know what's going on.

If you're desperate, introduce names from other counties or even from the real world. At least one of the contributors to this site qualifies (not that that has anything to do with the real world).

Remember that POYNTZ MEANS PRIZES and I'm itching to put that yak on the stove (except that this week I'm in Bangkok and there are not a lot of them to be seen.

The men in white coats will come for me soon, I hope, and insist that the only therapy is four annual months in the Taunton sunshine.

Cheers

LoL

Date: 29 September, 2003 17:46

Of our current players, both Turner and Wood appear to be members of this gang -as, indeed, do you, LoL.

Posted by: Togpatsy (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2003 19:44

I've struggled to find any more other than D.R.W. Silk

Date: 29 September, 2003 21:27

I am not sure if I am on the right railway here (let alone the right track), but would my brother and I both qualify - L.C.H. and R.C.N.

And what about:-
Biddulph, Meyer, Wight, all 3 Palmers and Virgin?

It is probably too profoud for me, Lol !

Date: 30 September, 2003 05:22

Well it's great news that there are more names to add to the list (and that there are a few more sad people out there willing to play this absurd game).

Wickham and Togpatsy have clearly understood the rules, but Palareit, great historical and intellectual guru though he be, seems to be playing another game altogether - I'd love to know what it is! And if our Wood qualifies, so does Jorkshire's.

There's a current Hampshire batsman to be added to the list, as well as a post war Prime Minister, not to mention another contributor to this site in addition to myself (funny - selfless to the last - I hadn't thought about that).

Keep up the good work...

LoL

Posted by: bloke (IP Logged)
Date: 30 September, 2003 10:59

sounds fascinating chaps, but you lost me a long time ago.

however, i am struck by the fact that a thread with 'pointless' (or thereabouts) iun the subject now seems to be the longest thread ever in te history of threads. keep it going i say!

one thing LOL, you talk about 4 annual months of sunshine in Taunton.

you have clearly been away a long time...

Date: 30 September, 2003 11:11

Allow me my dreams, Si. Maybe my faltering grasp of reality indicates just how much I'm in need of that therapy.

LoL

Posted by: bloke (IP Logged)
Date: 30 September, 2003 12:17

or too much of that yak butter, that stuff is lethal

i saw a programme about the Bhutan national football team. (is that where you are?). sure looks a lovely place

Date: 01 October, 2003 04:45

Dear Si

Bhutan is Bhutan and Tibet is Tibet, neighbouring Himalayan countries but there's not even a direct (official) road or air connection.

Dear All

I woke up in the night and realised we could add a Derbyshire "favourite" to the list - and then there's a current England opening bat with an average of 42.17 (tricky one this, but completely bona fide)

LoL

Posted by: sheffieldsabre (IP Logged)
Date: 01 October, 2003 10:27

OK, I'll be the first one to put my hand up and admit to being thick ... what on earth is this all about??

Current Page: 2 of 177
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net