Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Dalrymple to Middlesex
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2011 20:23

Most Middlesex supporters predict this season will be different from the past few! I think that we have budgeted as if little will be seen of Andrew Strauss and Eoin Morgan, so it seems that we are prepared to contend with call-ups, although of course injuries and loss of form can strike at any time. The likelihood of the team winning matches and trophies is of greater importance to me than whether or not we have a happy squad, although that's not to say I don't feel some sympathy for any batsmen or spinners whose place in the side may be blocked due to this signing. In the poll, I voted for 'indifferent'.

Posted by: tony jones (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2011 03:06

I think it is a very bad move getting Dalrymple back. Middlesex has some very talented young batsmen in Housego, Robson and Stirling but it is crucial they get more first class games under their belt. Housego is getting a chance now, Robson for a 21 yr older in tough conditions as an opener has done really well and Stirling from what he showed in the World Cup has great potential. We need to get these guys playing as much as possible. Hopefully players such as these are not restricted in their opportunities by Dalrymple coming back.

Posted by: warrenladd (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2011 06:32

he wont stop robson,sterling from getting into the team. they are top order batsmen and he is a middle order/all rounder.

Posted by: Beeamazed (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2011 08:48

Quote:
tony jones
I think it is a very bad move getting Dalrymple back. Middlesex has some very talented young batsmen in Housego, Robson and Stirling but it is crucial they get more first class games under their belt. Housego is getting a chance now, Robson for a 21 yr older in tough conditions as an opener has done really well and Stirling from what he showed in the World Cup has great potential. We need to get these guys playing as much as possible. Hopefully players such as these are not restricted in their opportunities by Dalrymple coming back.

Totally agree.
If these young guys don't get air-time and move elsewhere,that is a lot of time and money wasted.
I hope sombody's good at juggling....

Posted by: antryg (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2011 09:16

He has a batting average of 34 & a bowling average of 43. Now if they were the other way around I'd agree he was an all-rounder. As it is he is an ok batsman & reasonable 1-day bowler. He's not an all-rounder in first class cricket. I don't see the attraction.

I'd much rather bowl Malan in first class cricket (similar bowling average but much earlier in his career so plenty of time to improve as spinners generally need).

Date: 12 April, 2011 11:10

I have generally been of the opinion that Dawid Malan and Jamie Dalrymple are similar types of players. AC seems to be the better batsman, while with ball I can't help but feel AC is better in that department too. When it comes to bowling strikerates, in first-class matches AC takes a wicket every 63.60 balls compared to Rymps' 78.03, in List A matches AC's strikerate is 41.30 whereas Rymps' 43.15, while in Twenty20 matches Rymps shades it with a figure of 17.56 compared to AC's 20.00. The reason why I looked at their strikerates is because AC seems likelier to take a wicket when he bowls compared to Rymps. AC of course took 4-80 at Fenner's, plus he made 142 not out. I have long felt his bowling is underestimated. I would like Neil Dexter to give him many overs over the coming months, although that's not to say I don't want the designated bowlers to do their jobs.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2011 11:28

I think Dai has been signed mainly for the one day stuff, to be honest. I would see him as a far more reliable bet than Malan to bowl a full stint, rather than a couple of overs. There was talk last season that Malan had gone backwards as a bowler. I don't think four wickets against the students is enough to say he's back on track again, though a long spell (courtesy of NOT getting the students out quickly) no doubt did him good. I'd also prefer to see him pushing on as a batsman rather than worrying too much about his leg spin at the moment.

Having said all that, the number of wickets taken by spinners in the first round of matches in early April should give us room for thought, so another spinner on the books is no bad thing, particularly if Ollie goes back to "Hove, actually".

Adelaide

Date: 12 April, 2011 14:00

Last season, I felt that Dawid Malan's bowling had been going quite well until he was hit for 22 off one over in a Twenty20 match v Essex at Lord's, at which point either his captains (Adam Gilchrist then Neil Dexter) or the player himself lost confidence in his bowling. After that, he seemed to only bowl in a match here and a match there, sometimes economically and sometimes not so economical, sometimes taking a wicket and sometimes not. He bowled better in 2009. However, I believe that Dexter could do worse than ask AC to do some bowling if more conventional options prove unsuccessful.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2011 15:44

Exactly; a captain would probably have more confidence in Dalrymple to bowl for longer - at the moment. That may change, but until it does I would find it odd to regard Malan as the better bowler.

Rymps/Dai did not do much bowling at Glammy in the four day game (except on spinners' paradises such as Swansea) but his batting was not at all bad, which, unfortunately, it had become in his last year or so with us. But, as I say, I find it hard to see him getting in the four day side often, unless pitches are turning square.

Adelaide

Posted by: WayOutWest (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2011 15:51

Great signing, one of my favourite players in his first stint, was gutted that he left. Like a few players that have left us I am sure that he came to regret his decision.

A good signing on two fronts. Firstly,he will provide excellent cover and secondly, by signing for us, he cannot sign for one of our rivals and strengthen their sides. I am sure there would be a few dissenting voices if he had signed for Surrey, Essex etc. Good luck Jamie, even though it seems you will only play half a season, how about 500 championship runs and 25 championship wickets?

Posted by: antryg (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2011 16:03

I don't think Malan is the better bowler in first class cricket yet (although I think he will be in time if he is given enough experience) but he is a wicket taker and will only improve. Dalrymple is neither of those things. In 1-day cricket Dalrymple is clearly better at present.

Posted by: NorthOfTheRiver (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2011 16:48

I'm pleased with this signing first and foremost because I think Jamie still has something to offer Middlesex this season. It's pre-season, we're yet to play, and quite rightly there's a lot of optimism on this board, but I'm finding it odd to read so much talk questioning whether we need Jamie.

Let's face facts: the majority of this squad were disgustingly poor last season. As a team we were dire. We're going to need all the help we can get to improve drastically this season, and as far as I'm concerned signing a proven county performer like Jamie must be a good move.

Date: 12 April, 2011 17:17

Angus Fraser seems to be aware of both sides of the "shall we boost our resources by signing Jamie Dalrymple or shall we try to avoid disrupting the side we currently have?" argument, as he has stated that one of the reasons why Rymps will not play before June is because he (Gus) wishes to let the players we currently have establish themselves in the team before the arrival of Rymps. Therefore, whichever player Rymps replaces will have lost his place as a result of his early-season performances failing to merit a place rather than just simply because Rymps is at the club. The other reason why Rymps won't play immediately is due to his lack of fitness.

Posted by: Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2011 16:20

Reports today say JD unlikely to be fit before June as he is recovering from an ankle operation.

So, he would then slot into T20 squad, where he is likely to be an asset.

A regards coming back. Always a gamble and I would suspect, he did'nt have that many other options, attractive to him.

CBG is correct. The departure was due to a personality clash with Ed Smith.

He is now gone, so hopefully, JD will play his cards differently.

Mildly pleased at his return myself. However you cannot vote for that Kev.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2011 16:21 by Seaxe_Man.

Date: 13 April, 2011 17:30

I have been aware for a couple of days that Jamie Dalrymple would not be returning to Middlesex until June.

Posted by: Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2011 17:52

: Dalrymple to Middlesex new
Date: 13 April, 2011 18:30

I have been aware for a couple of days that Jamie Dalrymple would not be returning to Middlesex until June.

Yes JW. So you were. However, the fitness problem was vague. We now know it is a rehab from an ankle op.

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2011 20:05

Cheers for that SM , I was vaguely unaware why Dai wouldn't be playing for us till June.

Doubtless we are paying him while he is in rehab, If so get better very quickly Dai.

Posted by: pantherlike (IP Logged)
Date: 14 April, 2011 09:37

A solid player for sure, but another signing!? Oh well, Gus knows what he's doing...his reasoning is sound.

Posted by: tony jones (IP Logged)
Date: 14 April, 2011 13:30

Yes now appears to be too many signed players in the squad. There are a few high quality young batters in our second team who need to be playing 4 day cricket this season. If not they could move on. It is going to be very interesting how it all pans out this season.

Posted by: razorlightcrusader (IP Logged)
Date: 14 April, 2011 16:32

Forgive me if this has already been stated, but is Dalrymple just signed for the second half of this season?

And what kind of money is he on?

Current Page: 2 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net