Current Page: 51 of 53
Re: Football thread another new one
Posted by: lower pavilion (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2017 11:11

I went of course to Stamford Bridge yesterday.

A very strange game indeed. I think two sendings off were correct, but the referee Pawson got almost every other decision wrong. All rather shambolic.

The glorious fact is that over the last 14 seasons I have seen live Chelsea win.

1 Champions League. 1 Europa League. 5 Premier League Titles 4 FA Cups 3 League Cups.

Probably one of the greatest golden eras of any club and we have been the dominant force in English football for that period. The first London club to win the Champions League.

Unlike say Tottenham fans, my football dreams have all been realised, so I tend not to get so upset if things do not go to plan.

It has been a complete privilege to watch these last 14 years. Football wise at least, I am more than content.

Apologies for all these edits. Old laptop.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2017 11:19 by lower pavilion.

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2017 12:20

One game doesn't make a season,in respective leagues,only 44 or 37 games to go!
Leeds unbeaten start...that 16-1 odds on sky bet might be getting shorter now,I will look to invest 😊

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2017 21:53

Can't claim the credit for this but...

Spurs didn't sell Kyle Walker, he just got married.

Nice to see nominative determinism taking its place in the game.

On to Chelsea at the Lane ... oh, no, it's Wemblerlee!

Adelaide

Date: 21 August, 2017 00:21

I tried hard to resist but in the end I gave in and had to post on this thread.

According to the critics, Chelsea were in trouble and suffering internal strife.

We were playing away at Tottenham this Sunday afternoon, and we were missing key players through injuries and suspensions and Costa was of course absent.

So what happens? Chelsea showed why they are champions, dug deep and came away with a famous victory.

The season has only just begun, and there will be many twists and turns, but many of the so called experts may have written Chelsea off a little too early.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/08/2017 00:24 by lower pavilion.

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2017 06:04

Your now the second Chelsea fan I have heard refer to this game as a famous victory. Hardly an FA Cup Final or even a league game with much on it played in a stadium both our sides will unfortunately have to call "home" for the next four or five years.

Parking the bus may win Chelsea games but it won't win them many friends among fans who remember being accused by their manager (currently at Man Utd) of doing the same.

A good win and three much needed points but hardly the stuff of legend.

I would throw in stats but they mean jack @#$%& most of the time,don't put the ball in the net you don't win games is the only stat that matters,you get no points for "winning" 15 corners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/08/2017 06:16 by The Diamond ruled ok.

Date: 21 August, 2017 16:52

It was telling that when Chelsea equalised for Spurs the TV commentator said "have Spurs got time to win this?" or similar. I'm not sure it stands up that well in the cold light of day, given that there weren't chances going begging, but it was a real time judgement rather than an opinion given by a pundit after the game, which often rewrites history to sort the result.

For some reason Spurs seem to make defensive mistakes at Wembley that hardly happened elsewhere last season and the winning goal typified that. I suppose you could say that they lost the game by trying to win it, hence the Lloris throw etc etc.

Adelaide

Date: 28 January, 2018 21:25

One for Jonathan, perhaps.

I was on the outskirts of Watford the other day and saw a road sign giving directions for "Watford football coaches". My question is whether the sign is intended for actual vehicles or for the countably infinite set of Watford managers past, present and future.

I also saw a sign nearby announcing "music tuition taught here". I suppose that it might have been 100% accurate but it had me wondering whether it was a taughtology.

Adelaide

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2018 22:55

The main reason why Watford’s board are willing to change head coaches with regularity is that the head coach’s only responsibility is to aim to get the best out of the players, as the club have a system whereby decisions about player recruitment are made by the director of football. So, while most clubs have to re-think their future strategy every time they change managers, not much about the club changes when Watford’s head coach changes. The strategy employed since the Pozzo family took over in July 2012 has taken us from being a financially-stricken Championship club to being a club in our third season in the Premier League, so there is clearly lots of merit to it. However, I think it is unfair to give the head coach little input into player recruitment.

I was hopeful that 2018 would see the return of some of the injured players as well as some new signings, and therefore an upturn in the club's results, but none of that has happened. The amount of injuries is as much a cause for concern as the behind-the-seasons upheaval. Wednesday is a big day for the club, as not only does it mark the final chance this season to make some signings, but we also travel to Stoke City in a match which many see as ‘mustn't lose’, as defeat would drag us closer to the relegation dogfight despite us having been in the top-half for most of the season.

Date: 05 February, 2018 14:25

I think Watford and Leeds must be in competition. Leeds dispensing with another manager is so normal that Beefy hasn't posted about it (yet).

Adelaide

Date: 05 February, 2018 18:10

Sorry Adelaide,it's just another one using the revolving door and signing the visitors book.
There was a rumour the Wally with the brolly was moving in.......pull the shutters down and just hang the closed signs up if that's the case

Date: 05 February, 2018 18:37

The brolly would do just as good a job on its own, Beefy.

Adelaide

Date: 05 February, 2018 19:39

Brolly has more personality.
Now the Barnsley boss is linked,after saying in Novcmber how much he dislikes Leeds.
Rather have a single brolly leaning against the dug out!

Date: 06 February, 2018 13:22

With Conte's position seemingly under threat, Chelsea have shown that a constant influx of managers does sometimes work, much to the annoyance of many so called experts.

The glorious Roman Abramovic era began in season 2003-2004.This is the 15th season.

In that time our list of major titles is as follows.

1 Champions League. 1 Europa League. 5 Premier League titles. 4 FA Cups. 3 League Cups.

A truly incredible 14 major trophies in 14 complete seasons.That would be a golden era for any club, and is certainly Chelsea's golden era.

I know some will say we have spent a fortune, but so have other clubs without the same success.

The experts say, you need stability when it comes to managers, perhaps that is not always true.

Chelsea are going through a difficult period at this moment in time, but as a very long serving Chelsea season ticket holder, I have seen the lot these last 14 years, and I am at least as far as Chelsea is concerned very content.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 13:24 by lower pavilion.

Date: 06 February, 2018 14:28

LP

I suppose the question is whether more would have been won with more managerial stability. As they say on QI, nobody knows.

The other question is easier to answer - would Chelsea have won as much without spending the fortune to which you refer? Almost certainly not, despite Leicester. I agree that spending the fortune does not guarantee success on its own but it does help a bit.

I did enjoy the irony of a Chelsea manager complaining about the Manchester clubs spending even bigger fortunes when that was precisely the complaint made against Chelsea when the big bucks started getting spent. As was said then, if that happens it forces ambitious clubs to spend the same, or more, in order to achieve success. Then the first club has to spend even more and on it goes. It becomes a zero sum game for the clubs, though not for the extravagantly rewarded players. Much as you have to admire the artistry of what Man City produce on the field, I can't see for the life of me how they can spend so much without smashing FFP rules.

In the meantime, two Chelsea castoffs are setting the Premiership alight. Salah played for Basel against Spurs a few years back and looked good, apart from his finishing. My, that has changed. His second on Sunday was just Messi-like. And de Bruyne's ability to deliver a pass in exactly the right spot at exactly the right pace is just uncanny. Fairly easy for crossfield passes but he manages it with straight through passes.

Adelaide

Posted by: Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2018 12:42

The FA Cup draw on BBC yesterday. Pretty sure that the female presenter transposed the teams when reading out the draw.

She said I think, that Manure were playing Chelsea and Spurs were playing Southampton.

Not sure who would be most relieved.

Meantime Luke Shaw is reported to have been castigated by Mourinho before being removed at half time in the match versus Brighton..not a confidence boost..

There is a warning note here for players to take care, before making moves recommended by media stockpilers who clamour for their recommendations to happen. Careers are finite and media judges are mostly clueless..

Shaw, looked to be on a good career, afore making the fatal move up to Moanure. Likely to be dumped in the summer window methinks.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2018 14:06

Quote:
Seaxe_Man
The FA Cup draw on BBC yesterday. Pretty sure that the female presenter transposed the teams when reading out the draw.

Lynsey Hipgrave (never heard of her before)

A real role model for women wanting to succeed in presenting football.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Beeamazed (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2018 16:31

Mad Dog back at Barnet for the 5th time..
The lunatic returns to his asylum home 😀

Posted by: Fozzie (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2018 18:12

Quote:
Seaxe_Man

Meantime Luke Shaw is reported to have been castigated by Mourinho before being removed at half time in the match versus Brighton..not a confidence boost..

There is a warning note here for players to take care, before making moves recommended by media stockpilers who clamour for their recommendations to happen. Careers are finite and media judges are mostly clueless..

Shaw, looked to be on a good career, afore making the fatal move up to Moanure. Likely to be dumped in the summer window methinks.

Indeed, SM - Luke Shaw is one of many who were flourishing at Southampton in recent years but whose careers have not taken off as hoped since leaving. Calum Chambers' progress has stalled at Arsenal even more than Shaw's at Man U;, who have already shipped out Morgan Schneiderlin. Lovren is a disaster waiting to happen at Liverpool, where Nathaniel Clyne is a forgotten man. I guess the only unqualified success since leaving St Mary's has been Sadio Mane. Van Dijk may well flourish at a higher level, of course, but he's got to go some way to be good value at £70m.

Date: 19 March, 2018 20:39

Football...damn football
So glad the cricket season is nearly here.
Leeds have claimed EIGHT POINTS in 2018,only club worse than us in div 2 (I'm still old money) Is Sunderland.
We seem to be going from worse to...well worse as the season progresses.

Date: 19 March, 2018 22:14

Fozzie

I think Clyne is the long term injured man rather than forgotten.

Others who did not really do what was expected were Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain.

The other definite successes? Toby Alderweireld and Martin Chivers (showing my age there)!

Adelaide

Current Page: 51 of 53
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net