Current Page: 1 of 2
Holden on loan to Northants
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2017 16:31

No- not Amanda!

Max

Until the end of June

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Makes sense, as he is now ready for first class championship cricket.

Edit to add- Northants have video interview with Max. Still nowt on Middlesex site.
[www.northantscricket.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2017 16:50 by chunkyinargyll.

Re: Holden on loan to Northants
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2017 20:27

I am happy about this move, as it is surely more beneficial for Max Holden and therefore for Middlesex for him to be playing for Northamptonshire 1st XI against the likes of Durham, Nottinghamshire and Sussex as opposed to playing for our 2nd XI.

12 months ago, I anticipated that it was highly likely that his 1st XI debut would come in 2016. However, the fact there weren’t many instances of those already in the side losing form or fitness or becoming unavailable meant that chance never came, plus of course the team performances meant we didn’t have many dead matches in any of the three competitions. Therefore, it is great news that his overdue introduction into 1st XI cricket is set to happen in 2017, albeit at Northants. Hopefully he will return from his loan in an excellent position to push for selection for our 1st XI.

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2017 21:10

Good positive move for a fine young cricketer.Will not progress only playing 2's cricket and for England under 19's. A few months at Northants playing cricket at the county level will do him the world of good.The likelihood is that they will give him game time too unlike some of our recent loans who seemed to just warm benches.

Go on Max,fill your boots and push for that first team spot with the Champions.

Posted by: fivestar (IP Logged)
Date: 24 January, 2017 08:28

The beginning of the end. He will see oppotunity available and want more. Sad to see England U19 skipper needing to dodge the ' born in Durbs' and kolpak brigade to get game time.Another Rossington on the cards!

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 24 January, 2017 08:43

Hopefully not, fivestar.

Fast forward 2 years to the start of 2019 and the chances are by then Compo will have retired, and Voges and Franklin will be gone.If Ireland get test status possibly Stirling too (if Ireland insist on people playing in their domestic first class tournament) I'm sure another overseas will replace Voges, but in a couple of years time there will be chances for Holden. I'd also like to see Higgins go out on loan for the same reason.

Posted by: Shots1992 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 January, 2017 15:57

This is good for Max Holden, he will open with Ben Duckett for Northamtonshire CCC. The experience benefits all parties. He is fine young opener whose time will come opening at Lord's and captain possibly. Best of luck Max son.

Posted by: rod/ed (IP Logged)
Date: 24 January, 2017 16:28

Agree this is good for all concerned.
Think this proves we have a definite two tier CC system, with the lower league proving to be a feeder division. Important we stay in the top division and don't do a Leicester and get involved in relegation issues.

Date: 24 January, 2017 21:16

I was rather hoping to retain the County Division one title. And win 50 over b and h Royal cup

Date: 25 January, 2017 09:56

Quote:
Shots1992
I was rather hoping to retain the County Division one title. And win 50 over b and h Royal cup

With two spinners it's a certainty!

Date: 26 January, 2017 01:19

Spin to win

Posted by: Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
Date: 27 January, 2017 14:32

When dates don't clash. Hope to get to Wantage Road to watch Max, only previously seen in 2nds.

England hierarchy pushed for this?

Kolpaks fivestar, now have a limited lifespan. Hence Abbott and the other bloke dived in quick.

Date: 27 January, 2017 15:31

Quote:
Seaxe_Man
When dates don't clash. Hope to get to Wantage Road to watch Max, only previously seen in 2nds.
England hierarchy pushed for this?

Kolpaks fivestar, now have a limited lifespan. Hence Abbott and the other bloke dived in quick.

What do the hierarchy have planned for Gubbo?

1. Wait to see if Cook falls on his sword?
2. Play him at 3 or 6 against RSA ?
3. Wait for Jennings or Hameed to fail?
4. Wait and see if he has another good CC and take him to Oz and blood him once team are in trouble?

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2017 19:54

Max Holden was his team’s best player with bat and ball playing a 50-over tour match for England U-19’s v Indian Colts U-19’s, scoring 85 in a total of 266-8 and recording figures of 4.1-1-14-2. However, it was not enough to prevent the hosts winning by three wickets with 35 balls to spare.

He was the only Middlesex player involved, as Arthur Godsal doesn’t arrive until Monday. The ECB article on this says that Godsal will replace Jack Bruce, although I am not sure why Bruce has had to be replaced.

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2017 20:14

Godsal to replace Jack Bruce? I bet he thinks he's got the Cream. Good luck to our lads on the U19's tour.

Date: 29 January, 2017 04:12

Hameed Gubbins will open for England quite soon

Posted by: fivestar (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2017 08:09

Not so sure this u19 set up is worth anything. Havn't won anything since Rob Key was toddler, and return frustrated and over hyped boys to the county game who realise they still got lots to learn.

Date: 02 February, 2017 20:19

On Northamptonshire website signing Max Holden on loan big news

Date: 13 February, 2017 14:19

Got a text from Bluey. Max Holden 135 not out in current game.

Date: 13 February, 2017 18:45

Well batted future Middlesex skipper Max Holden.

Date: 14 February, 2017 14:54

Cook has said wants to continue as a batter for maybe another 4/5 years, So, he has to fail over a prolonged period before they will replace him with Gubbins el al I suspect.

Although not stated. Root will bend his ear from time to time I would imagine. This despite the numourous pundits who have reservations about Cook's tactical acumen.

Strauss whose book on his time as England captain I have read, was similarly damned with faint praise by the 'pundits', one of whom described him as a Meat and Two Veg captain.

Not perhaps the best person to make that comment.

It will it interesting to see how Graves shambolic Division Two pans out this coming season.

14 games, play 5 teams twice and four once. This allegedly to free up time.

Two or three weeks are still being wasted on MCCU games, the results of which are at times embarrassing.

A more competitive game for MCCU teams surely, would be to match them with county 2nd elevens.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net