Uxbridge poll
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2017 12:30

Should we continue to play at Uxbridge?

I love Uxbridge, I wish we could play there every week.
Once a season is fine.
Once in a lifetime is once too many.

You must be logged in to vote.

32 Votes

Show results

Poll self explanatory.

Re: Uxbridge poll
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2017 19:36

As long as I feel satisfied with the view from my seat and with the quality of the toilets, I don’t mind visiting Uxbridge too much, although admittedly my viewpoint of matches there tends to be as a Ceefax viewer more often than as a spectator. It is nice to feel closer to the players than is the case at main grounds.

However, the fact remains that Middlesex have a poor record there in all formats (no first-class wins there since 1995, while I have attended more limited-overs defeats than wins) and that there are very few aspects in which the ground comes close to comparing favourably with Lord’s or with other outgrounds such as Scarborough, Cheltenham, Arundel or Tunbridge Wells.

There are plenty of people on the county circuit who speak with joy about the thought of cricket at those aforementioned outgrounds, and I am fairly sure that Yorkshire, Gloucestershire and Sussex (although I don’t think this is the case at Kent) are committed to continuing to stage matches at those grounds. However, I am fairly sure Middlesex’s officials have the view that playing at Uxbridge is some sort of chore and that we would prefer to play all our matches at Lord’s.

I have voted for “Once a season is fine.”

Posted by: Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2017 18:32

You are not correct JW on the one day front. We have won many NW and 40 over matches there including the 1992 Sunday League win over Yorkshire which made us champions.. Our only one.

On the T20 front. We have played 15 won 7 lost 7 one abandoned. A better % than Lords, MTS or Richmond.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2017 19:23

An UxbrExit poll, with those voting to Leave probably having quite different views on what should happen after the exit!

The difficult bit is that at least one outground has to be used. So, if not Uxbridge, should it be MTS, Radlett, Southgate, Richmond...?

There are similar debates on the other side of the river, with Guildford being hated by many (and being a win-free zone for the hosts) and some wanting Whitgift to be used instead. Like MTS, school term dates might have some influence on that.

Adelaide

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2017 19:38

Effectively 14 all at the moment.

Anyone who hasn't voted yet want to break the deadlock?

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2017 06:49

Can't beat a well run well looked after school ground for cc outground cricket, add Cheltenham to adelaide's list and it shows just how good these grounds are when they are well looked after by a full time staff year round.

Problem is not only that they are only available in the school hols but the three week period needed to stage outground cc cricket and the main factor this year (and to come I fear) of ECB block booking the school hols for T20 which counties want played on their main ground for the revenue it generates.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net