Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: There may be trouble ahead- Stokes arrested
Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 01 October, 2017 11:37

Does the release of and wide publicity given to the video prejudice the chances of a fair trial?

I think we need to be careful saying "Hales did this, Stokes did that" for similar reasons. Any trial will establish that.

Adelaide, often called to a different sort of bar

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 29 November, 2017 15:21

Stokes might not be out of the woods yet after all.

'File passed on to Crown Prosecution Service for a decision'

I assumed Stokes heading for NZ meant he had privately been given the nod there would be no further action, with an announcement following a couple of days later.

CPS may still decide 'not in public interest' (the evidence is on CCTV) so we await developments.

Date: 15 January, 2018 15:47

Charged with affray-

[www.standard.co.uk]

I'm not sure if this is up to date, as different sites seem to give different information, but it seems a guilty verdict can result in anything from a suspended sentence, to a maximum of three years-

[www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2018 17:56 by chunkyinargyll.

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2018 18:49

He won't be going with a guilty plea,nor will the two people he "Affrayed" all will have their day in court , probably right in the middle of the next Test home series though sad smiley

Date: 17 January, 2018 12:46

Stokes available for New Zealand.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2018 19:50

When it was announced that Ben Stokes had been charged with affray and could spend a period of time in prison, it sounded like his chances of returning to the England side had reduced, as I assumed that the only way he would return to the side would be if it was announced that he would face a minor charge or that the case against him had been dropped. Therefore, it comes as a surprise to me that he is now allowed to return to the side!

However, he is still a long way from being out of the woods, as it has been pointed out that he may have to leave the tour of New Zealand and/or miss matches in the coming months if there are any developments in his case or if the trial clashes with matches.

As he is an important member of the England side, I have been - and remain - hopeful that Stokes won’t be imposed with a long prison sentence (if anything), and I have felt relieved whenever I have heard information that suggests that he may get off lightly (e.g. it may help his cause if it was true that he was defending two men from homophobic abuse). However, I acknowledge that the fact he is a cricketer and not the average person should not entitle him to a lesser sentence or to my support.

I don’t see really see why Stokes can’t join the rest of England’s tour of Australia, as a saving could probably made on air fares to New Zealand considering the rest of the England squad will be travelling straight there after their final match in Australia.

Date: 18 January, 2018 15:04

Ben Stokes' first appearance in court clashes with match v NZ.

Don't know if he has to attend in person, or if a written plea will do-

[news.sky.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2018 15:05 by chunkyinargyll.

Date: 18 January, 2018 19:12

As I said, there was always the possibility that a development on the case - or even the trial - would take place during England’s tour to New Zealand. Therefore, perhaps it is a blessing in disguise that the plan was him to make his comeback in New Zealand and not as per my suggestion that he now travels out for the rest of the tour to Australia, as it would make for two wasted flights if was to he travel to Australia and then had to return shortly after.

Considering it is already known that he is likely to plead ‘not guilty’, it would be a waste of time if he is told that he must make his plea in person in Bristol.

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2018 19:59

I am dead against Stokes being allowed to play for England until he develops a bit of maturity, regardless of whether he is found guilty or not. He is a very poor role model. Quite apart from the affray, he was also publicly mocked Katie Price's disabled son.

Date: 22 January, 2018 23:19

Ben Stokes will attend his court date and will therefore not travel to New Zealand until after he has attended court.

Date: 13 February, 2018 14:10

Mr Stokes (as the BBC call him) will face trial by jury, after pleading not guilty to affray.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: 12 March, 2018 11:55

Ben Stokes trial begins on August 6th- meaning he will miss Lord's test v India.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Date: 06 August, 2018 14:57

The trial begins.

Some good gags here-

[twitter.com]

Re: There may be trouble ahead- Stokes arrested, and trial begins
Date: 06 August, 2018 15:10

This is odd- and doesn't match up with what we've been told so far-

[www.espn.com]

In the above report it says Ben Stokes is alledged to have mimicked and mocked a young gay couple.

Up until now the story has been that he was defending them,

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2018 16:27

It's what happens in court that counts. Previous stories just a bit of PR on Stokes behalf.

Judging by the level of violence and injury I would have thought a guilty verdict could mean a custodial sentence.

Let's NOT have a poll on the verdict.

Posted by: London Leprechaun (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2018 18:11

Please remember people this is a court case now and though we are not on the jury we need to be careful what we say. We are closing the thread until the verdict.

Posted by: London Leprechaun (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2018 18:16

As there is some glitch on the site we can't close the thread. So please refrain from commenting here on the case until it is over. Thank you for being responsible.(Sm15)

Date: 14 August, 2018 13:26

Stokes found not guilty.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

I'll leave it at that.

Posted by: Beeamazed (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2018 15:20

Jury out only 6 1/2 hours,6 men,6 women ,unanimous verdict.
Funny old game..😎

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2018 17:06

Jury out for less than three hours, beeamazed, not six-and-a-half. And this after a six day trial. Tells you all you want to know about the foolishness of the CPS in bringing the charge of affray in the first place.

Never a chance of success, as anyone with any experience of court procedures will tell you.

Judge yet to announce whether the CPS will be ordered to meet Ben Stokes and his fellow defendants` legal costs.

In some cases, they have to. I some cases, they don`t

Current Page: 2 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net