Current Page: 1 of 4
The Ashes 2017/18
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2017 21:09

Although not officially announced until 10 am tomorrow, various outlets seem certain James Vince has been recalled in place of Tom Westley, and Craig Overton in squad.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Dawid Malan is on the plane. Because of injury, TRJ isn't.

Stokes included.

Re: The Ashes 2017/18
Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2017 21:34

I'm certainly pleased if Malan is in ahead of Westley, whom I thought a bizarre selection in the first place.

Quite what James Vince has done to merit a recall, however?

Obviously, we are all pleased at Somerset viz Craig Overton's call - he's been consistently "at," the batsmen all season with accuracy, aggression and bounce. I don't know whether he will get a chance in the XI (probably not) but, if he does, then the selectors will look at the film of his performance at North Marine Road and dream of him reproducing it on similarly pacey tracks at the Gabba or the WACA (which has not yet been mothballed).

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2017 22:01

I think both teams have areas of concern, so I wouldn’t have thought the standard of the series will match 2005, when a settled England side beat an Australia side who were arguably at the peck of their powers.

A characteristic of Ashes series is that the losing team ends up getting through about 18 players throughout the series. Admittedly, there are more examples of this happening to England than Australia! If the first couple of matches don’t go well for England, there will probably be mass changes, as a few of their players start this series with question marks over their heads.

I don’t think Steven Finn is seen as likely to be named in tomorrow's initial squad, although if anything happens to the fast bowlers named before or during the series, then he could get in. It would be nice if he could finally have some good memories of an Ashes tour, as no-one took more than his 14 wickets in the first three Tests of 2010/11, yet he then got dropped due to his economy of 4.30, while he was deemed “not selectable” three years later.

If England’s 3-1 win in 2010/11 is stripped out, then Australia’s record in home series since 1990/91 will have been 3-0, 3-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-0 and 5-0, so that doesn’t bode well for England.

This series will not be on Sky, but will instead be on BT Sport, for whom this will be their second winter of holding the rights to all cricket from Australia. Like Sky always did for matches from Australia not involving England, BT’s in-game coverage last winter mainly consisted of presenting the match exactly how Channel 9 viewers saw it, although BT used their own staff to fill the intervals. When it came to the Ashes, Sky used to send their own commentators and use their own graphics, so it will be interesting to see what BT do. Although I think the likes of Michael Vaughan and Graeme Swann are now BT pundits, I don’t see how BT have enough commentators or co-commentators to present their own in-game coverage, so unless anything changes in the coming weeks, I imagine that viewers will get the Channel 9 feed boosted by one, two or three commentators from BT.

Posted by: Beeamazed (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 09:12

Vince and Ballance WTF.....
The latter in particular..poor old Malan,he must be absolutely gutted

Date: 27 September, 2017 09:45

Malan is ok. He's in.

Ballance and Vince is like rearranging the deckchairs on The Titanic.

Date: 27 September, 2017 18:31

Date: 27 September, 2017 20:01

Vince might be ok - his problem is poor shot selection vs the moving ball - there may not be much lateral movement Down Under.

Posted by: tbl (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2017 22:13

Vince's Test record and 2017 first class record do not inspire confidence. A very strange selection. Ditto no reserve opener and Crane rather than Rashid/Leach. Australia must be strong favourites.

Date: 28 September, 2017 07:14

Vince himself is said to be "surprised," at his own selection.

I reckon Liam Livingstone can consider himself very unlucky to have missed out to Vince.

Date: 06 October, 2017 18:38

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
I don’t think Steven Finn is seen as likely to be named in tomorrow's initial squad, although if anything happens to the fast bowlers named before or during the series, then he could get in. It would be nice if he could finally have some good memories of an Ashes tour, as no-one took more than his 14 wickets in the first three Tests of 2010/11, yet he then got dropped due to his economy of 4.30, while he was deemed “not selectable” three years later.

Because something happened to Ben Stokes, Steven Finn has got into England’s squad for the Ashes, although whether he will play will surely depend on the fitness, form and - I feel obliged to write - behaviour of the fast bowlers and all-rounders ahead of him.

As this news implies that Finn’s international career is being resurrected, it is ironic it comes on the same day it was announced that he is not on the list of players awarded central contracts.

Posted by: Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 10:08

Listening to coverage of the Georgia v Wales game last night, did I really hear the BBC Wales (5 Live was taking their feed) announcer say that Ben Stokes would not be travelling to Austria for the Ashes?

Posted by: Lifer (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 11:48

Correct. He will not be travelling with the team.

He may travel later subject to police and court action

Posted by: selincourt (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 12:30

did I really hear the announcer say that Ben Stokes would not be travelling to Austria for the Ashes?[/quote]

To save him from a slippery slope ?

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 14:08

Won't be going anywhere if the CPS decide to press charges,Hales has been cleared and is no longer under police investigation so is pickable but wasn't picked for the Test side anyway. How's your luck lads.

Maybe an early night and a beer at the hotel might have been a better idea.

Not saying young men who play hard for work shouldn't be allowed a beer and a hair let down afterwards but the job wasn't done when this happened ,the series wasn't over !

Date: 08 October, 2017 14:10

At least giving Stokes a central contract (for the time being) means Durham don't have to pick up the bill.

Date: 08 October, 2017 14:23

Suspended whilst on duty for England if I were Durham I would be sending any bills for Stokes to the ECB.

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 17:45

Apparently Bairstow and others who were out that night too have been fined and warned as to their conduct.

Date: 08 October, 2017 18:28

Not a bad idea PH,if it brings those who broke curfew but didn't get involved in a West Country ruck which then involved the Avon Constabulary a few of them might start thinking there but for the grace of god go I.

Down under is always a tough tour,a long way from home with an opponent always ready to stick it to you and that's just the fans so a disciplined approach to it is the only way to go.

Date: 19 October, 2017 18:27

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
When it came to the Ashes, Sky used to send their own commentators and use their own graphics, so it will be interesting to see what BT do. Although I think the likes of Michael Vaughan and Graeme Swann are now BT pundits, I don’t see how BT have enough commentators or co-commentators to present their own in-game coverage, so unless anything changes in the coming weeks, I imagine that viewers will get the Channel 9 feed boosted by one, two or three commentators from BT

BT Sport have announced that they will send their own team of commentators to the Ashes. The team will consist of Michael Vaughan, Geoffrey Boycott, Graeme Swann, Alison Mitchell, Matt Smith, Ricky Ponting, Damien Fleming and Adam Gilchrist, so evidently no-one has defected from Sky. The remaining two questions that need answering are in regards to how popular BT’s coverage will be, and whether they will use their own graphics or use Channel 9’s graphics.

Despite not showing the Ashes, Sky will not be bereft of England coverage this winter, as their tour to New Zealand begins just three days after the end of the tour of Australia. England’s schedule this winter is a palindrome, as they will play (in the following chronological order) Tests, ODIs and Twenty20 internationals in Australia and Twenty20 internationals, ODIs and Tests in New Zealand, so that will enable those involved in their limited-overs sides to work together for a two-month period between January and March.

Before all that, the Women’s Ashes will take place across three formats, beginning this Sunday, and I think the whole series will be live on BT.

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2017 20:52

Vaughan and Boycott??
Pass me the remote control,the volume control will be used a lot then,or just the mute button!

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net