Poll: Marks out of 10 for season
Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 14:44

How do you rate our season out of 10

There isn't a score on my radar

You must be logged in to vote.

36 Votes

Show results

I have run this poll at end of every every season and despite the inevitable grim like reading will carry on . I'm given us a generous 2 as there had been odd moments of joy.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/10/2017 10:57 by BarmierKev.

Re: Poll: Marks out of 10 for season
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 15:54

I have voted for 4, as Middlesex’s season contained a few moments of celebration, we would have finished level with 4th-placed Yorkshire in the County Championship were it not for Arrowgate (OK, we would have actually finished 6th due to us having one fewer win than Yorkshire and one more defeat than Hampshire, but at least we would have survived), and we were in contention to qualify for the Twenty20 knockout stages until the last round of group matches. The big disappointment was our Royal London Cup campaign, as we won only twice in eight group matches and finished above only Kent whose only win came when I attended the meeting at Canterbury, although I don’t think we put a great deal of thought into how best to approach the competition.

All in all, though, it has to go down as a disappointing season, as our targets will have been to show why we entered this season’s Championship as title holders, and for us to reach the knockout stages of at least one limited-overs competition, especially as we brought in Daniel Vettori with the remit of building on our qualification for the previous season’s Twenty20 quarter-finals. If it wasn’t disappointing enough that we were a long way from qualifying for the RLC play-offs and couldn’t get into the Twenty20 knockout stages, we ended up being relegated in the Championship.

Despite all this, I don’t feel we should beat ourselves up about our season, as the strength of division one of the Championship meant it was inevitable that at least one seemingly strong side would go down, while I would like to think our performances in the two other competitions will give us great desire to improve in those competitions in 2018.

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 17:02

For the T20.....1 point
For 50 over.....1 point
For county championship .....-2 points

My overall score is 0

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 17:03

A generous 2 , very little fun all season and the sense of apathy that set in all too early with the "Summer break" in the cc made it even worse. Without taking time off for the Lanky game at Lord's my 2 might have even become a 1.

Posted by: Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 09:23

CC 1
RLC 0
T20 2 we beat Gloucestershire

Posted by: Darren Gosling (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 09:25

Forget arrowgate, we would have finished 9 pts clear in 4th had we not batted on and on and on and on and on against Essex setting them 450 in less than a day.....weak leadership, setting the tone for the season.

Posted by: rod/ed (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 09:42

Relegation, and failure in the short form means a score of 1.

I'm MTID, so I wouldn't want to have supported any other team however badly we performed.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 09:47

Four.

We only failed to qualify for quarter-finals of T20 on goal difference.

And we were sixty points ahead of Warwickshire in the championship, and three points away from fourth.

Plenty of worse seasons in the not so distant past, when we were stuck in Division 2, with no realistic prospect of getting out of it.

Posted by: snicko (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 12:50

I agree Chunky
There are too many miserable gits on here who don't realise the opportunity we now have to transition a younger team who sooner (rather than later) will be without Compton, Murtagh, Rayner, Franklin, Voges and any permutation of Malan/TRJ/Finn (subject to England contracts).

Wonderful opportunity for the nucleus of our next Championship winning side to build a team around for the next 5 years e.g.:-

Holden
Robson
Gubbins
Malan/*Overseas
Stirling
Simpson
*Spinner
Harris
Helm
Finn/TRJ

Gus needs to ask Santa for a match winning spinner and an overseas batsman available for whole season.

Date: 08 October, 2017 12:56

Quote:
snicko

Gus needs to ask Santa for a match winning spinner and an overseas batsman available for whole season.

Maybe we should make Jack Leach an offer so good he can't refuse.

That would upset our friends on Grockles.

Date: 08 October, 2017 13:10

Nah - only takes wickets at Ciderabad. I checked out his stats prior to this season for number of wickets taken away from Taunton and was amazed how poor his record was. Alas Cricketarchive now hides behind a paywall (shocking move !) so I would never pay to access this info now. Bess only takes wickets at Taunton as well - quelle surprise 💤

Date: 08 October, 2017 13:19

snicko- agreed.

Ravi spent all year in the seconds- goes there, and takes 12 wickets.

If he moved there he'd get 100 wickets a season.

Date: 08 October, 2017 14:34

Quote:
snicko
I agree Chunky
There are too many miserable gits on here who don't realise the opportunity we now have to transition a younger team who sooner (rather than later) will be without Compton, Murtagh, Rayner, Franklin, Voges and any permutation of Malan/TRJ/Finn (subject to England contracts).

Wonderful opportunity for the nucleus of our next Championship winning side to build a team around for the next 5 years e.g.:-

Holden
Robson
Gubbins
Malan/*Overseas
Stirling
Simpson
*Spinner
Harris
Helm
Finn/TRJ

Snicko as a miserable git who watched 13 Championship, 7 RlC and 10 T20 matches I am under the impression that we were asked to mark on what we saw in the season past.

Speculation as to what the team may look like and perform in 2018 is for a separate poll.

We probably have spinners inhouse who could cover that position, Sowter/Patel IF they were given the opportunity. Which over a long period of time they have not. Leach btw picked up a fivfer at Lords last year.

At the forum about 250+ attended, the mood was one of dismay at things which could have been done better. The Tank was at top table and it sounded as if he returning next year as Captain.

Top table also conceded much of the criticism levelled at them which was fair. There was some on a couple of subjects which were not.

Apart from Voges who has retired from Sheffield Shield cricket to play Big Bash, the others you list will be around and play I suspect.

The hierarchy (about 400 attended) at the Players Award Dinner repeated much the same thing.

I would like to see Holden in next year, Gubbins restore form. Northants incidentally voted Max Holden as their Player of the Year as related to Mike O'Farrell by the Northants chairman with no hidden agenda.

Date: 08 October, 2017 14:48

Ahem - I rest my case m'lud.

Perfectly encapsulated, but far too much energy wasted looking back instead of forward.

What's gone is gone - get over it.

Date: 08 October, 2017 15:00

As far I as I can see. Nothing to get over. Got over it last week at Taunton with a couple of beers in Wetherspoons.

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 15:28

Poor season regardless but next season we go again and the one constant will not be the management,it will not be the players, it will be the supporters who go to games or view from afar.

As it says on the tin "Middlesex till we die" .

Posted by: Fozzie (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 15:47

Quote:
Seaxe_Man

I would like to see Holden in next year, Gubbins restore form. Northants incidentally voted Max Holden as their Player of the Year as related to Mike O'Farrell by the Northants chairman with no hidden agenda.

Max was actually Northants' Young Player of the Year - I think Mike said that he had been told that Northants spcifically created this award to recognise Max's contribution. Hopefully he'll be given the opportunity to do similar for us on a regular basis next season.

Posted by: dingy bags (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 18:17

I voted 1. Tom Helm showed what he can do, especially in the white ball games. Then we left him out...

I would have voted for 2: Ryan Higgins showed that he could become a genuine all-rounder. Then he left. Had we played him as an all-rounder, he might have stayed. Never mind batting in the top 5.

No as bad a season as the worst of the Div 2 years but pretty dreadful.

Posted by: lower pavilion (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 14:54

I remember when we used to be near the bottom of the second division.

This season we were just three points away from finishing 4th in a very competitive first division. This season was always going to be very difficult after last season's heroics.

We were also at times a bit more competitive in the shorter forms of the game.

I think a number of posters on this site need to take a reality check and stop this constant moaning.

Next season we will hopefully come back very strongly indeed.

I voted 6.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 15:02 by lower pavilion.

Posted by: selincourt (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 19:41

Quote:
lower pavilion

I voted 6.

You must be wearing rose tinted spectacles.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net