Toby Roland Jones
Steven Finn
Tom Helm
Ravi Patel
No one deserves it

You must be logged in to vote.

32 Votes

Show results

I am unsure who to vote for at this stage.

No trophy at stake but interesting to gague views

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/10/2017 13:19 by BarmierKev.

Re: Poll: 2017 Player of Season
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 16:45

Simmo.

Consistent as ever.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 19:24

I have voted for Toby Roland-Jones, as the statistics are fairly kind to him. In the County Championship, he was Middlesex’s third-highest wicket-taker with 28 despite only playing nine matches. In the Royal London Cup, he was our top wicket-taken with 11 and had an economy of 3.94. In the Twenty20 competition, he only played four matches, yet still found the time to take 7 wickets. Additionally, he broke into the England side and make a great impact in four Tests and one ODI.

As hardly anyone made an impact across the whole season, it is difficult to vote for Player of the Season. Brooks MacDonald voted for Steven Finn, while the players voted for Tom Helm.

Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2017 15:07

I've voted for Higgo due to some of his explosive batting and his contributions in our victories against Yorks and Warks

Barmy Kev

Posted by: Fozzie (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2017 17:59

A difficult decision, and not in a good way. I've followed the players and voted for Tom Helm, on the basis that he is possibly the only first-team regular who can look back on the season with some satisfaction. His figures may not have been spectacular, but he made good contributions in all formats, and he can justifiably view this as his breakthrough season.

Date: 23 October, 2017 10:59

So far have a 3 way tie. Was wondering if anyone would like to offer a casting vote?

Barmy Kev

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 23 October, 2017 16:36

....... Not even the button to allow one the chance to vote for Compton.........sigh.

Posted by: hdo (IP Logged)
Date: 23 October, 2017 16:47

Compton??

I like the bloke but his last few 4-day innings for the club, when we needed backbone towards the end of the season, were 0, 10, 0, 9, 16, 11*, 42, 20, 28*, 22, 3. If that's anybody's idea of player of the season, we're even worse than I thought.

Unless, of course, you were joking, in which case you certainly fooled me.

Date: 24 October, 2017 08:02

Nick Compton is - imho - very good ........................................at eyeing up girls in the Tavern after play, but on the field, I'm not sure what his specific purpose is, apart from a sort of decoration or adornment.

When we take the fields with him in the side, we seem to have ten players, and a 1930's throwback cutout, with beautiful cream cricket whites, immaculately ironed shirt, brylcreamed hair, with not a strand out of place, dashing moustache - the works, in fact. If Jeeves turned out Bertie to play cricket, he would use our adornment as a model.

He even fields the ball quite well, occasionally. In our crucial match with Yorkshire last year, he only shelled two very catchable offerings, and is not found near the bat unless we can afford the luxury of a gulley, from where he can soon be posted to extra cover asap.

When he bats, he is always able to say that whatever is planned for that evening, he is able to start on time, and to devote himself to it without having to bother about the tedious business of making runs the next day as well.

Does that clarify my position sufficiently?

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 24 October, 2017 08:31

To be fair, Compo's battling 28 not out when he had a bad back got us a draw in the infamous Arrowgate match.

But only passing 50 once (he went on to make 120) in eleven matches is obviously nowhere near as good as he, or we would have wanted.

He did average 26, which isn't good enough, but does indicate he got in to the 20's and 30's quite often, and considering he has a reputation for stickability it looks like either subconciously the appetite has gone, or it's the start of an unavoidable (blameless) decline.

It's going to be difficult getting top players to sign whilst we are in Division 2.

The only changes I see are a new overseas for Voges, and start off with Holden in the side (at the expense of either Compton or Franklin).

Date: 24 October, 2017 09:31

Agree, Chunky.

I know that overseas players such as Viv or Barry Richards, Wayne Daniel, or Dessie are not a possibility now, but we need to at least look at a player whose career is ahead of them; - not one whose years of first class cricket are already in single figures at the time of signing for us on account of their ..............a'hem .............maturity.

I quite liked the look of a lot of the West Indian team.

To quote Brearley, if it's a bowler, I want someone fast and nasty (he allegedy said that in disgust when he heard we'd signed Vintcent van der Bijl !!), so I wonder what Shannon Gabriel's availability is, off the top of my head. (Obviously, we would need to help him measure out his run up, but he fits the above criteria.)

On the batting front, I think the Windies are on the way back, so perhaps might try to get in early on a young thruster, if a batter, alternatively. I know the CPL clashes with our season, but there might be some players who are technically good but who don't score sufficiently fast over the wicket keeper to get into the CPL.

Posted by: hdo (IP Logged)
Date: 24 October, 2017 10:54

Position well and truly clarified, PH. And I'm very relieved to hear it!

Posted by: Karseng (IP Logged)
Date: 24 October, 2017 21:44

Obviously I am biased but Simmo. Just short of 1100 runs over all formats top wicket keeper for victims in both divisions and so often overlooked for either a batter or bowler. Unsung hero.

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 25 October, 2017 03:16

Biased Karseng ? Surely not winking smiley

Yet anoher good season from the lad and touch and go beween him and Tom Helm who I voted for in this poll.

Make sure he winters well and looks after himself.

Posted by: middleman (IP Logged)
Date: 26 October, 2017 12:16

I think Simmo just about gets it. A left field choice would have been Sam Robson who had our best batting average. Just a shame that he had such an interrupted season with injury and then being on the sidelines during the 20/20 competition. Really difficult now for any player who doesn't feature in the shorter form to transfer early season form to the second batch of championship games at the end of the season.

Date: 29 October, 2017 13:16

Congratulations Simmo. I noticed he from The Cricketer he took most catches amongst all counties last season

Barmy Kev

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net