What verdict for Arrowgate are you hoping for

Leave it as it is
-2 overturned. Somerset relegated
Have 2 leagues of 9 teams as compromise
Other. Please state

You must be logged in to vote.

31 Votes

Show results

The decision to deduct -2 I said at time was dreadful and still feel this way. Something should have been done straight away especially given umpires comments.

I really think it would be unfair to relegate Somerset having entered last game knowing what they had to do.

The only solution is to have 2 leagues of 9 , which is better format anyway for all concerned. I can't see it happening

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Re: Poll and Arrow
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 16:44

I know a lot of people think we should 'take our medicine',

Voting as such might even harm our chances of staying up (powers that be thinking 'If the fans aren't that bothered, why should we be?)'

I know we have problems with over rate, but that does not alter the fact that, but for a criminal act, we would have ended up with 2 points more than we did.

Criminals should not be allowed to influence events.

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 19:01

If anyone is convicted of firing the bolt that cost us our div 1 status maybe our lawyers would be better off pursuing him/her for compensation rather than chasing the ECB to change their minds.

Posted by: selincourt (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 21:23

It would help if the shooter was a Somerset supporter.

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 23:13

If the shooter was a Somerset supporter his aim was many miles too far west - a shot at the square in Chelmsford would have been far more useful that day.😉

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2017 11:32

Quite right, Barmier Kev - a vote for common sense of two divisions of nine would, almost certainly, be a step too far for the Embarrassing Cricket Board.

According to the Daily Sexpress, this process has been launched pursuant to the personal fiat of one Colin Graves, esquire, so you guys can be reasonably sure that he will be trying to bend everyone else to his will which must, presumably, be to keep MIddx up (otherwise why not stick to what they had already said about no further right of appeal, as per the ECB's own rules)

I personally think Middx have a good 'fairness,' case for getting their two points back - but I deplore an apparent attempt by Graves to throw out his organisation's own rule book.

I would also say this - part of MIddx's case seems to be 'the umpires said they'd sort it,' so I think the umpires should be called to testify as to whether they said that purely because of the early finish (in which case it wasn't their call to make) or whether what they meant was that there were extenuating circumstances which explained why Middx were 2 overs behind the stipulated rate at the time of the abandonment.... it's very clearly within their remit to tell the ECB if there were extenuating circumstances that would explain why Middx were behind when the criminal archer struck... for example, if there had been an injury to a batsman which necessitated a long treatment period on the field or exceptional heat (I Know this wasn't true) which necessitated one million and one drinks breaks . To me that should make quite a big difference..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 13:32 by AGod.

Posted by: hdo (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2017 13:19

Presumably the umpires will be called to testify. I wonder whether they'll provide a true picture of events in the dressing room even if doing so reflects negatively on them.

Posted by: Muntjac (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2017 16:37

But for a criminal act we would have ended up with two more points than we did.

Despite the stick from supporters of other counties I very much doubt any club would not be taking the same action as Middlesex given the circumstance.

Posted by: Hants01 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2017 17:37

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Middlesex's points are reinstated and that they are consequently reprieved. There was nothing much they could have done given the unfortunate circumstances. Then the ECB will have to deal with the concomitant problems arising from that move, namely notionally demoting Somerset. Which, I would then expect, would see the argument played out that the actors in the relegation battle performed knowing what they had to do given the points situation AT THE TIME and it's therefore unfair to retrospectively disregard that. Ergo, Somerset, too, stay up. 2018: Nine teams in the Division. How many relegated in Divisions 1 in 2018 and/ or 2019 become the issues.

It may well (rightly, if it does) precipitate a much needed discussion about how many should comprise the two divisions and how many should be relegated. Relegating a quarter of the teams is absurd. Imagine if there was a proposal to do so in football's Premiership. There would be uproar and ridicule.

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2017 18:07

Now,if the 2 divisions reverted to 9 and 9,how is this for a relegation idea.....Just the bottom club in Div 1 and top in Div 2 change places,then....8th in Div 1 play 2nd in Div 2 in play-off,winner either goes up or stays in Div 1....Just another idea!
After much thought and talking to myself,I think the only realistic way of ECB getting out of this is to reinstate 9 and 9,and keeping it that way.

Posted by: Beeamazed (IP Logged)
Date: 12 October, 2017 19:48

Beefy that playoff scenario has been in operation in the Herts Premier League
for the last two seasons. It stands at one apiece.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 14 October, 2017 23:57

I demand a split of option 3!

I would not want a 9:9 split as a temporary sticking plaster. If it comes in it needs to be either permanent or a stepping stone to yet another structure (such as a 10:8 split). The latter could be justified as a means of making the approach of Div 1 teams as a whole less negative (is is not just Middlesex) by reducing the percentage of teams relegated from 25% to 20%. It would of course make the ECB look stupid to be reversing a change made just a year ago but this whole affair has made them look like rank incompetents already.

Adelaide

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net