2018 Squad
Posted by: WayOutWest (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 13:00

Now that the dust has settled on rakegate and arrowgate it is time to look forward to next season. Plenty of movement around the counties e.g. Coles to Essex. As ever, we are very slow out of the blocks and indeed may limit our recruitment activity to a new overseas only.

What player[s] would you like us to sign overseas and/or domestic? All within our budget of course. Will space and finance be freed up by high profile retirements?

Should we caŕry on with the NZ T20 policy?

Any thoughts, rumours, inside info welcome.

Re: 2018 Squad
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 19:41

I don’t know how likely it is that Middlesex will make a great deal of signings this winter, as we seem not to be in the habit of going on mass recruitment drives. I can’t recall many recent winters when we have made more than one signing. Indeed, we didn’t make any last season. Maybe we will try to make some signings once our management have completed their review of last season.

In the early part of this decade, we began building a side which grew together, won the division two title in 2011 and won the County Championship in 2016. As we presently find ourselves with a few players the wrong side of 30, our relegation provides us with the perfect time to once again build a side who will be together for the next few years. Nick Compton, James Franklin, Tim Murtagh and Ollie Rayner’s contracts all expire in 2018, although if our management decide to take a long-term view, they could attempt to negotiate an early end to any of those contracts in order to create room for new signings or youngsters coming through. I wouldn’t have thought there is any possibility of Murtagh or Rayner leaving prematurely, and I have no desire to see that happen, but perhaps the club should move away from Compo and Franklin.

Posted by: Beeamazed (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 22:15

Very reasonable JW

Posted by: Beeamazed (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 22:15

Very reasonable JW

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2017 23:37

As a totally left field suggestion, Ian Bell could surely do with a change of scenery. His failure as captain leaves him as damaged goods at Warwickshire - or at least he has played like damaged goods. He is older than Nick Compton, though I suspect Compo has his future career rather better planned.

Going for Bell would be inconsistent with bringing the next generation through but I would have thought it would do him good to go somewhere.

Franklin (and Compo) have already been mentioned. We haven't seen the best of Adam Voges, partly because of injury; maybe we never will. But I'm a bit worried by the reports from Taunton (admittedly mainly from Somerset posters) that he seemed to be looking for an out in the form of the pitch from the start. I think we probably were done for before that match started, given experience and resources, but positivity never hurts. Having said that, I wasn't exactly bowled over by any of the overseas players this year, with the glorious exception of Sanga. You don't get many of his quality becoming available.

Adelaide

Posted by: Bring back the Crusaders (IP Logged)
Date: 22 October, 2017 00:58

I doubt if we will make any major signings for the coming season as this has never been the Middlesex way - we always seem to hang on to players past their 'sell by'date and the 'old pals'act always seems to take precedence over emerging talent.
Compton & Franklin will perform reasonably well in the lower division but again fail should we win promotion whereas we should be blooding younger players in anticipation of our return.
The Kiwi circus will no doubt turn up for the T20 which will again blow our budget for the season with no doubt the same outcome as this season.
I really think the club needs to look at the management and coaching staff to amend what went wrong this season because the players under performed, team spirit seemed to be non-existent and some of the decisions starting with the Essex declaration were completely baffling.

Date: 07 February, 2018 06:40

Are we signing overseas players for any format this year? Some quality announcements last few days made: Zampa (t20) and Siddle (cc) to Essex and Khan (t20) to Sussex. I hope we don't continue down the road of past it antipodeans.

Date: 07 February, 2018 06:42

And before anybody says it, Siddle isn't past it on current form! Voges and McCullum were and are.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2018 07:53

I don't know if Voges is coming back (does anyone?)

If not, we are leaving it a bit late.

Steve Smith has been reported as saying he wants to play county cricket. Would the lure of Lords trump his desire to play in Division one?

Date: 07 February, 2018 08:16

Chunky, Smith is a possibility in my mind.

Date: 07 February, 2018 09:31

It doesn't have to mean anything definite, but having just checked the squad on the official Middle site, I note Voges is no longer there (could well have been like it for months!)

Date: 07 February, 2018 15:06

A minor matter- but having looked at the squad page on the official site again, I note Arthur Godsal is no longer there (he definitely was before), so his stay as a pro was very short lived (less than one full season).

Date: 07 February, 2018 15:21

Arthur Godsal is listed on the Academy page so would assume he is still with Middlesex on some basis?

Date: 07 February, 2018 16:06

WOW- That page was never updated last year, so is way out of date. For instance, no Holman, Perera or Davies who were all on the recent England U19 tour.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2018 20:03

It doesn’t seem like there is much possibility of Middlesex signing any domestic players for 2018, so for the second season running, we are set to have faith in what is roughly the same set of players that won the 2016 County Championship.

I would have thought that a factor in us being yet to sign any overseas players is that we are waiting to see which players are likely to available, something which is determined by their country’s schedule, whether they are playing domestic cricket elsewhere (e.g. IPL or CPL), and whether they are interested in playing county cricket.

If we are happy for the role of our County Championship overseas player to be shared between two or three players across the season or we are happy to play a few matches without an overseas player, than that would obviously enable us to sign someone who is only available for part of the season. However, if we would prefer to have someone who is likely to be available for most or all of the season (which is something we traditionally prefer), then that restricts us to players who either don’t play international cricket or whose country aren’t playing during this summer. I don’t know whether Adam Voges is willing to come back or whether the club are considering re-signing him, as the only format he still plays in Australia is Twenty20, in which he scored 169 runs in 10 matches with one fifty during Perth Scorchers’ recent Big Bash campaign. I am not aware of the club or the player ruling out the possibility of Voges returning in 2018, so it sounds like the club’s Plan A is to sign a younger player and their Plan B is to turn to Voges. By the time the 2018 season finishes, Voges will be a week short of his 39th birthday.

With regards to our Twenty20 overseas players, it wouldn’t surprise me if we yet again look at New Zealanders considering we will be coached by Daniel Vettori, and their next matches after they host England appears not to be until October, something which incidentally means that maybe we will look over there for our Championship overseas player. Returning to the subject of our Twenty20 campaign, I would welcome Tim Southee back, as his figures in our 2017 campaign were decent, and I believe that others at the club would also welcome him back. However, like a lot of our supporters, I would be disappointed if Brendon McCullum returns.

If the club paid any attention to the academy section of the official website, surely they would have removed images of the players wearing MKK clothes, as well as the players no longer at the club. I don’t think Anshuman Rath is still at the club due to visa issues, while Andrew Thomas is now on a football scholarship at Stanford University in California.

Posted by: EH Hendren (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2018 19:20

As Ireland are now a full Test-playing nation, we will have to face the fact that Tim Murtagh and Paul Stirling will be classified as overseas registrations with effect from the 2019 season.

Date: 23 February, 2018 19:42

Murtagh may retire at the end of 2018, but Paul Stirling will be available for us in 2019, as the new rules don't come in to affect until September 2019 (I assume he doesn't suddenly become inellegable with a couple of games remaining).

[www.cricketeurope.com]

Posted by: EH Hendren (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2018 00:27

Thank you for your guidance Chunky. I have read your link which does not fill me with much optimism around the availability of cricketers such as Stirling, once the ruling takes effect.

Even without the eventual registration issue, there are still the potential international calls to contend with. However we wish all cricketers every success in fulfilling their potential.

Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Murtagh may retire at the end of 2018, but Paul Stirling will be available for us in 2019, as the new rules don't come in to affect until September 2019 (I assume he doesn't suddenly become ineligible with a couple of games remaining).
[www.cricketeurope.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net