Current Page: 1 of 2
Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2017 15:41

[www.middlesexccc.com]

An announcement from club today,go along if you can.
Sadly I'm working



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 19/12/2017 22:51 by Leprechaun.

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2017 19:38

It seems unusual for there to be a forum (or ‘Question and Answer session’ as it is being styled) during the close season, and it will be the first time I have attended such an event at that time of year.

The top table will consist of Middlesex chief executive Richard Goatley and his new MCC counterpart Guy Lavender, although I am not sure if anyone else will be on the table. It sounds like Lavender has instigated/agreed to this event, maybe to build a relationship between MCC and Middlesex members or to inform our members about ground developments going on at Lord’s. We will have to see how satisfied our supporters will be about what is said at this event, but I am appreciative to Lavender for participating two months into his new role.

I imagine the intention of this event is to discuss issues such as whether or not there will be a Middlesex Room in the future, how much influence Middlesex are allowed on the pitches, how Middlesex will be affected by ground redevelopments, and how the new Twenty20 competition will affect the Partnership Agreement and Middlesex’s finances.

I am not sure how much discussion will take place about the playing side considering it doesn’t sound like that is the intention of the event or that there will be anyone in attendance involved with the playing side. However, I imagine a few questions will be asked about whether or not we expect to make any signings (or more signings if one or more has been made by this point) as we aim to regain our division one status. I wonder if Lavender will comment about issues such as Arrowgate and the Taunton pitch considering he worked as Somerset’s chief executive until the end of September.

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2017 19:54

I hope after the event,the club provides a full report of all questions asked and answers.
Comprehensive report here as well please,so us that can't attend get to see all that went on.

Hopefully,it will be about all things Middle and the subject of arrowgate doesn't cover too much time,after all,it's finished with now.

We need to know about progress being made for our club at Lord's.

I can't actually remember when an out of season QnA evening was announced,but I like the idea and hope it's the start of more to come.

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2017 20:58

Nicely timed to keep people like me from attending 6pm on a Thursday.

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2017 08:47

I'm surprised,considering how season went,demise of Middlesex Room etc,that not been that many postings.
Hope many go along and let see what goes on.

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2017 12:36

Beefy. The word apathy springs to mind. At the last Board election, only 17% deemed it important enough to bother casting a vote.

!7% of the membership equates to less than 1500. Of the votes cast, about half were cast for one candidate.

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2017 12:40

also,the fixtures for 2018 should of been released by this meeting.
Venues etc should be known,maybe another reason for the timing?

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: Lifer (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2017 02:09

I would encourage as many as possible to go. The question of why the Middlesex room has not been reinstated is likely to drag on into a second season unless we make a fuss. The planning permission for it to be used as offices ran out at the start of this season and yet our committee have remained silent on the matter unlike some MCC members who are most concerned on our behalf.
Time to make a fuss.

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: Lifer (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2017 12:21

An even bigger reason for members to go and give their views is that there are only 661 joint Middlesex/MCC members so if we want our point of view put forward to MCC we have to do it ourselves.
Apparently I am a member of a very small minority among 23500 MCC members and we cannot rely on most of them to care.

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: johnph (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2017 12:58

I'm one of the 661 joint members (and I would hate to think the Middlesex members simply drop their membership when the MCC membership comes up - and perhaps some don't take advantage of the reduced rate and maintain their higher subscription to better support the club) and I was surprised to find out how few of us there are when I asked yesterday. I've shared this on the very active and concerned postings on the MCC forum, also pointing out that there is probably much greater affinity amongst the membership for Middlesex.

I am even more surprised thought that the QnA session did not feature in the November News from the Middle email newsletter that I received yesterday. Only those members who go out of their way to take an interest are likely to know about the meeting.

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: Lifer (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2017 11:00

I too was very surprised that it was not on News from the Middle. I am also on the MCC forum and can work out who you are.
I remain disappointed that so many on the waiting list resign when they become associates.
Perhaps the discount should be made more widely known

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 27 November, 2017 19:36

Kent chief executive Jamie Clifford is set to play an important role in the relationship between MCC and Middlesex, as he has been appointed as MCC Assistant Secretary (Membership & Operations), and will begin his role in February 2018. One of his responsibilities will be to work with Middlesex on county match days.

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 27 November, 2017 21:02

Be ok unless we are playing Kent smiling smiley

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: Ivor's Tache (IP Logged)
Date: 29 November, 2017 18:27

I have a 4pm appointment at Central Middlesex Hospital, routine hopefully, so intend to pop down after. Post Q&A libation anyone?

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 30 November, 2017 15:06

Little re-boot of thread for tonight.

Middlesex Room?maybe someone could raise an idea about putting some Middlesex players pictures/honours/maybe 2018 fixtures on the walls of New Warner Stand for all to see,give the club a bit more limelight?

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: Lifer (IP Logged)
Date: 30 November, 2017 23:24

The options for Middlesex Room seem to be.
Leave it where it is in which case we get it back next year OR move it upstairs in which case it has to go to MCC AGM in 2018 so could not be done until 2019 at the earliest.

The thing I was most alarmed about is that MCC intend to bid for a City T20 franchise at Lord's despite the fact that we voted against it. One wonders whether it will affect our fixtures at the ground.

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 30 November, 2017 23:35

The franchise thing doesn't surprise me,as Lord's/MCC would see the £ signs from full houses for the t20 and franchise CC.
Middlesex room.....never ending story!

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 01 December, 2017 11:58

Quote:
Lifer
The options for Middlesex Room seem to be.
Leave it where it is in which case we get it back next year OR move it upstairs in which case it has to go to MCC AGM in 2018 so could not be done until 2019 at the earliest.

The thing I was most alarmed about is that MCC intend to bid for a City T20 franchise at Lord's despite the fact that we voted against it. One wonders whether it will affect our fixtures at the ground.

I don't think it is realistic to suppose that the landlords would hold back from a financial opportunity just because their tenant voted that they should not. There was always going to be a franchise at Lord's. Presumably the franchise games will have first dibs on floodlight availability (which would probably have enabled us to beat Essex and have a quite different season).


Adelaide

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 01 December, 2017 20:25

Guy Lavender apologised for the continual unavailability of the Middlesex Room, especially as it had been (to quote a word he used) promised that it would be available for the 2017 season. As the delay was blamed on unforeseen issues with the Warner stand, someone asked a question as to whether MCC thoroughly planned the various developments going on around the ground. It doesn’t seem like everything was well thought-out, as I don’t think the intention was ever for the offices which moved from the old Warner stand to the Allen stand to then return to the Warner stand, as I don’t think the new Warner stand has any office space. Therefore, I am not sure how the Middlesex Room can return to its old location unless space can be found for the offices presently located there.

Although it sounded like MCC are very willing to accommodate the various wishes we have, I didn’t leave feeling a great deal of confidence that much will change in regards to how much influence we have on pitches, and whether floodlights can be switched on for County Championship matches.

Like many advocates of the city-based Twenty20 competition, Lavender sounded expectant that the competition will attract families not presently attracted to cricket. We will have to see whether this can really be achieved with teams who have no previous identity, and (due to the competition being expected to clash with England Test matches) without England’s Test players.

Re: Middlesex QnA session
Posted by: Muntjac (IP Logged)
Date: 02 December, 2017 07:53

No surprise the MCC want the franchise.

I am pleased they take the Middlesex Room seriously. I haven't been to it in the new location but I think it should remain where it always has been.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net