Current Page: 1 of 2
Travel hints and tips,season 2018
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2017 13:08

As the fixtures have been published,thought its about right to start the usual helpful thread again!
Some of us like to book early,to get some good hotel deals.
With train travel,dont forget two singles are usually cheaper that buying a return ticket,but mostly only 3 months before travel date.At weekends,you can travel first class for an upgrade payable to the ticket inspector on train.
Durham in September,a long drive,of course,so looking into the possibility of flying to Newcastle,and catch train to Chester-Le-Street or Durham.Less traumatic to driving,and COULD be cheaper than the train.
As put on the fixtures 2018 thread....Derbyshire away and the Saturday of game Derby County are home to Middlesboro,so check hotels and travel before going up.
And,May 5th,Day 2 at Hove,Brighton are home to man utd,although the ground is away from city centre,i would check hotel prices early if staying down in Brighton.

I'm sure plenty will be added as we go along,but just a start for our adventures in 2018

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2018 12:04 by BarmierKev.

Re: Travel hints and tips,season 2018
Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2017 12:31

Anyone going to Durham and driving if you're looking for cheap but lovely B&B I can recommend the Royal Oak at Cornsay Colliery. Lovely pub. Open fire (very welcome after a day at CLS in April when Somerset usually played, and September for you). Good breakfast included and evening meals (tho no food served Sun pm if you're driving up then). Takes about 15 mins thru the back lanes to CLS avoids Durham so no traffic problems. Its out in the countryside so very peaceful, will take dogs (as does CLS ) and lovely walking in the area if there's no play (lets face it, this is Durham, its autumn!)

Sonia and Ian who's pub it is are lovely. I've stayed there six years running, one of my main disappointments with the £CB relegating Durham was I didn't get there in 2017. I paid I think £35 B&B for single room in 2016. They are on booking sites but you'll get same or maybe better price if you phone them direct. Tell them Bagpuss sent you!

Posted by: rod/ed (IP Logged)
Date: 13 December, 2017 15:20

Sounds a good pub, Bagpuss.
When the Ashes Test was at CLS recently local accommodation was at a premium and we stayed in the University Residences in Durham. Cheap and no frills, but at least there was bar on campus.
Don't expect the hotels etc to be fully booked for a CC match in late September!

Date: 19 December, 2017 11:54

Travelodge have a big room sale starting boxing day,could be useful for early bookings for the away county games.

Posted by: Old Enfield Colt (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2017 13:00

The Travelodge next to the 'Church Mouse' pub is, from personal experience, a fine place to stay @ Chester le Street ( DH2 3RJ ).

Date: 11 February, 2018 16:24

Folks,have just booked train tickets for Derbyshire April 20th,returning 23rd.
Using East Midlands Trains website,Departure from St Pancras at 0856,arriving in Derby at 1023.
Return on 23rd,Departing Derby at 2001,arriving at St Pancras at 2134.
The return fare at the moment (buying two singles as usual) is only £28.50,if going to game I would grab this fare quickly!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2018 10:25 by BeefyRoberts.

Posted by: rod/ed (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2018 17:10

For those using the train to reach Derby or Leicester, VirginEastCoast have a 50% sale finishing 26th Feb. I got a good deal for the part of my trip to Leicester that they can handle.

Date: 14 March, 2018 19:41

Most tube services look ok for start of season,just one date to note is 15th April Day 3 vs Derbyshire.
There are NO Metropolitan Line trains between Wembley Park and Aldgate until 0930 that morning.Jubilee line is working to usual service times.

Date: 18 March, 2018 09:56

Train tickets for Taunton and Cardiff are available now on GWR website.
Keep a check though,as prices are but high..to reach Taunton in time for 11am start it's £40 each way at moment
Cardiff is £23 each way for a 2pm start,train arrives at Cardiff at 1322,gives time to reach the ground.As it's day/night game getting train home next morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/03/2018 10:07 by BeefyRoberts.

Posted by: RadstockRob (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2018 01:34

If staying in Taunton try Crown and Sceptre and Blachorse which are close to the ground. I can recommend both as I've stayed there quite often.

Avoid Royal Ashton Hotel even though it may appear suitable! I'm not judging people but it's used by DSS for emergency housing. I'll say no more.

If you stop at a chain group hotel you'll be a good way from the ground.

If using a car you'll find parking nearby limited on match days.

Although it may be cheaper to stay on the outskirts of Taunton I wouldn't reccommend it myself as you'll either have a 2 to 3 mile walk or the expense and hassle of getting a taxi.

Public transport is almost non existent after 18.00 in Somerset.

Date: 05 April, 2018 21:02

keep an eye on the Southern website for Hove and Sussex on May 27th,at moment an off-peak return is £28.50.
Sometimes,Southern put crazy price tickets on sale,but need to check website each day for them.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 06 April, 2018 20:40

Anyone intending to travel away from Lord’s on the Metropolitan or Jubilee lines towards Wembley after play on Saturday 14th April (day two of County Championship match v Northamptonshire) and Monday 30th April (day four of County Championship match v Glamorgan if the match goes to near the final overs) may find it difficult to get onto a train due to football at Wembley Stadium kicking-off at 7:45pm or 8:00pm those evenings.

In my experience, it is difficult to get onto Met line services at Finchley Road (or at Baker Street if the train originated at Aldgate) when there is a match on at Wembley that evening. However, the Jubilee line tends not to get as crowded, so it might be better to stay on it until Wembley Park, after which the Met line is likely to be much emptier.

Posted by: Patsy_Hendren (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2018 10:07

There are three Travelodge venues in Derby. I would personally recommend the hotel which is literally next door to the 3aaa County Ground (which is opposite the Pentagon roundabout). It is also a reasonable walk from the railway station.

Posted by: EH Hendren (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2018 13:20

For anybody wishing to stay in London on a budget then there are several options which include IBIS, Travelodge and various Youth Hostels which are reasonably priced.

Date: 07 May, 2018 10:27

The IBIS is close to Borehamwood High Street and Railway Station. It is reasonably priced (especially on Sunday nights) and is well connected for rail services to Bedford, Luton, St Albans and West Hampstead.

Bedford and Luton connect well with the Midlands and Yorkshire.

Posted by: Rocks&Boulders (IP Logged)
Date: 07 May, 2018 13:28

Quote:
BeefyRoberts
keep an eye on the Southern website for Hove and Sussex on May 27th,at moment an off-peak return is £28.50.
Sometimes,Southern put crazy price tickets on sale,but need to check website each day for them.

Cheap single fares are available now for that game on the "25th".
Managed to get the last £5 fare going(it's £8.50 now) to Hove from Victoria, with a £5 fare on the way back from Brighton in the evening.
Hope for nice weather.
Will be my first game attending since 2007. (Sm2)

I'm new here by the way.

Date: 08 May, 2018 15:25

If anyone wishes to attend the Kent II versus Middlesex II match at Beckenham then there are three nearby railway stations to use.

* London Blackfriars to Beckenham Hill
* London Bridge to New Beckenham
* London Victoria to Beckenham Junction

Date: 11 May, 2018 15:33

There are good guest houses in places such as Stoke St Gregory which is near Taunton.

Posted by: Palairet (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2018 10:41

The Corner House Hotel, Park Street, Taunton has always maintained a good reputation and is a pleasant 15 mins. walk away from the ground.

Date: 22 May, 2018 15:02

There are good National Express coaches and train services which serve Cardiff. An ever improving ground.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net