2018 U-19 World Cup
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2017 19:47

No county has provided more players to England’s squad for this tournament than Middlesex’s quartet of Savin Perera, Luke Hollman, Ethan Bamber and Jack Davies.

The tournament will take place in New Zealand from 13th January to 3rd February 2018, with several matches being live on Sky.

England yesterday finished a tri-series in Potchefstroom involving South Africa and Namibia in which England won all four group matches comfortably, but lost in the final to South Africa. All four Middlesex players made great contributions during the series, with Perera registering scores of 74 and 84, Hollman taking two 4-fors, and Bamber bowling economically.

The World Cup will be contested by the 10 ICC full members, as well as Namibia after they were the highest-placed associate nation in 2016, plus Afghanistan, Kenya, Canada, Papua New Guinea and Ireland, who won their respective region’s qualifying tournament.

England’s have been drawn in the same group as Namibia, Bangladesh and Canada.

All teams are guaranteed to play six matches, as there will be play-offs to determine where each team is placed in the tournament.

I enjoyed following the 2016 tournament more than I tend to enjoy following senior World Cups, as the 2016 tournament produced some interesting results, partly influenced by Australia not participating for security reasons. The final standings in that tournament were:

1. West Indies
2. India
3. Bangladesh
4. Sri Lanka
5. Pakistan
6. England
7. Namibia
8. Nepal
9. Afghanistan
10. Zimbabwe
11. South Africa
12. New Zealand
13. Ireland
14. Canada
15. Scotland
16. Fiji

Re: 2018 U-19 World Cup
Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2017 23:54

Australia not competing in New Zealand for security reasons? Afraid of getting the Glasgow kiss treatment, or what?

Adelaide

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 12 December, 2017 07:31

Maori's rub noses, don't they?

All that happened was JB was a bit over enthusiastic when attempting to greet Bancroft the other day.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 13 December, 2017 19:04

When I wrote that Australia did not participate for security reasons, I was referring to the 2016 U-19 World Cup in Bangladesh. Unless something dramatic happens, Australia will surely take up their entitlement to participate in New Zealand in 2018.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net