Contract extensions
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 19 December, 2017 17:33

Club have announced Ollie,Moggy,Toby and Eski have all signed contract extensions.
Good news from the Club.

Re: Contract extensions
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 19 December, 2017 18:05

With no absolute guarantee that we come straight back up to Division one in 2019 it is good to get these signings done.

Both TRJ and Eski were signed until the end of 2019 anyway, so an extension must take them until at least September 2020 (maybe even a year longer for TRJ)

Ollie was signed until 2018, so an extension beyond that means at least September 2019 (and probably 2020)

Morgan was the only one who was actually out of contract. I assume at least 3 years, but who knows?

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 19 December, 2017 19:04

The four players to sign contract extensions are all important players in their own way, so this is great news. As Ryan Higgins’ departure showed, it is not a given that every member of Middlesex’s squad wishes to continue with the club, so it is a relief that Ollie Rayner, Eoin Morgan, Toby Roland-Jones and Stevie Eskinazi seem to be happy here.

I am not sure why the club appear to have ceased disclosing the length of contract extensions.

Posted by: wembleylion (IP Logged)
Date: 19 December, 2017 23:59

TRJ, Eski and Ollie good news. Morgan I'm afraid needs to start justifying the high regard the club have for him.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 20 December, 2017 10:02

Quote:
wembleylion
TRJ, Eski and Ollie good news. Morgan I'm afraid needs to start justifying the high regard the club have for him.

But do we actually pay him anything anyway?

Adelaide

Date: 20 December, 2017 19:17

Middlesex definitely have a place in Eoin Morgan’s heart, as he reacted to his contract extension by writing on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram “It all started when I was 15 at @middlesexcricket What a journey is has been. Delighted the journey continues...so grateful to be with a special club who have supported me the whole way”. Every now and again, he writes about our County Championship fortunes on social media, so he clearly follows how the club get on while he is away.

The only two problems are that we are just one of several teams who he represents each year, and the amount of time he spends playing for us tends to represent a small fraction of the season. In 2017, he didn’t play in the Royal London Cup, but played in all 14 Twenty20 group matches. In 2018, he may fit in a couple of RLC matches depending on his commitments at the IPL (the final takes place on 31st May, after which we have two RLC group matches), but he will have to miss some Twenty20 matches due to England playing limited-overs matches v India.

I would rather Morgan be on our side than on another county’s side, and I don’t think he can see himself playing for any other county.

Posted by: Fozzie (IP Logged)
Date: 21 December, 2017 10:39

More good news - the club have announced that Sam Robson and Nick Gubbins have also signed contract extensions.

Date: 21 December, 2017 10:47

Nick Gubbins was already under contract until 2019, so again this must mean until at least September 2020, if not longer. And Sam was due to be out of contract at end of 2018, so at least until 2019 (and probably at least 2020)

My biggest worry- that players wouldn't sign new deals, and would all want to 'wait and see' if we bounced straight back to Division one has been well and truly allayed.

Date: 21 December, 2017 12:59

Chunky

Yes but if we fail to get promoted and they want to go, contracts won't stop 'em.

Adallayed

Date: 21 December, 2017 19:01

It is great that Middlesex seem to be in a position to plan for the coming years with a degree of certainty in regards to which players will be under contract.

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2017 05:46

Contract extension terms not disclosed ie how many years are like the football transfer "Fee not disclosed" bl00dy annoying !

Yes get players committed to the cause nice and early,it stops the big clubs in Div1 sniffing around them and unsettling them, if Surrey want any of them which is a habit of theirs in picking over the relegated teams squad they will jolly well have to pay for them!!

Juries still out with Morgan for me,England skipper (ODI's) yes,big selling point on the corporate side of things yes but as a Middlesex "player" really ? A handful of Thursday evening under performances a season doesn't merit a contract in my eyes.

Date: 23 December, 2017 10:27

Diamond

But (my point which nobody has taken up) - do we actually pay him anything? Once upon a time I think counties got paid a percentage of the IPL fee so we might actually have made a profit on him!

Morgan needs a county contract, nominal or otherwise, in order to play for England. It might as well be with the county he grew up with.

Adelaide

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2017 19:57

We may not pay him anything but does his place in our ODI squad (you can forget cc (he never plays it)) on money terms alone come before blocking a player who really wants to play for Middlesex being given a go ?

Posted by: Beeamazed (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2017 21:11

There seems to be a few opinions leaning towards the idea that he really
doesn't seem bothered about playing for us.
Is there any evidence that this might be true?
If so I would like to hear it...

Date: 23 December, 2017 21:27

Well, it's a few years ago now, but there was an IPL a few years back when he regularly tweeted with his IPL team mates, but not once to anyone at Middlesex, even though we were well in to our domestic season.

And the uncomplimentary comparisons he has made withe our domestic T20 and the IPL. Clearly our venues are never going to be as invigorating as Mumbai, Delhi or Kolkata (is that how you spell Calcutta these days?) in hot dry temperatures under floodlights, but there's not a lot we can do about our climate.

And the feeling on occasions his attitude for us is 'If it works it works, and if it doesn't, it doesn't'. In other words showboating with needlessly daft and risky shots that he wouldn't do if it 'mattered' (England). We only see the best of him at Middlesex when he is in danger of losing his England place, when funnily enough, he cuts out all the risks, and puts a score on the board.

Posted by: Lifer (IP Logged)
Date: 27 December, 2017 11:02

We pay him very little as he is on a limited overs central contract and he does not play championship cricket.

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 16 January, 2018 12:47

Assuming that : he was available for a chilly sortie at Derby in early May, had no other engagements, and we were short of a batsman or two, would he be able to walk out for us, get out caught reverse sweeping at first slip, then smack one straight to cover point second time round, in time honoured fashion?

Meaning : if he could play, and we wanted him to, would the terms of his central contract and whatever he has with us allow it?

Date: 16 January, 2018 13:31

PH-

I don't know for sure (does anyone?), but I'm guessing his new contract with us is white ball only.

If he was to lose his England place, and central contract, we would have to pay him for the rest of his Middlesex contract, so I hope (assume) we haven't left ourselves open to a situation were we have given him a deal that means we could end up paying him a huge amount for participation in all 3 domestic competitions, when he would only play 2. I hope the deal we gave him was white ball only.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net