Drop in wickets/pitches
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 30 December, 2017 12:46

Not Middlesex based,but more of a general question or three about the subject of drop in wickets..
Just say,as an idea...if Lord's or Any other ground in the country wanted to start using them,how would they dig up the original area to the recommended depth whatever that is?And keep it level when digging?How would the depth be checked?
I did look on YouTube to see how they get fitted,interesting to see they are grown on concrete bases.
Where would the initial surface be kept when removed?
How long will it stay as a playable surface for?
Does it get inspected by the ICC or,in our case if used by ECB?
They have puzzled me for some time now!
Is there a special seed used for the grass that would match the ground fitting into?

Be interesting to see any answers/views on them.

Re: Drop in wickets/pitches
Posted by: Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
Date: 31 December, 2017 14:36

Some very good questions there, Beefy. I have no idea of the answers!

Since they are widely used in other countries, though, I'm sure there must be a protocol to ensure they fit snugly. Whether they need to be removed afterwards, I would doubt.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 31 December, 2017 14:39

Could we arrange for Smith and Starc to be underneath it when it is dropped in please?

Adelaide dropping in

Date: 31 December, 2017 21:10

Are there any grounds in the UK that do have drop in wickets?
Plenty mention it,but seems as far as it goes,maybe it's all down to expense?

Posted by: dingy bags (IP Logged)
Date: 01 January, 2018 11:09

Beef, at the recent Middlesec/MCC meeting, we were told that there are three drop-in pitches on the nursery ground already. They are preparing for the new T20 dross and aware of the very few strips at Lord's that you can use for televised matches.

Date: 01 January, 2018 13:11

Cheers Andy,does that mean at end of the coming season that table will be dug up in readiness for the planting of them?
Or is the preparation all ready done?
Do they only put in one at a time?
I imagine it's huge work to have undertaken to use them,the slope being taken into consideration as well.

Posted by: Lifer (IP Logged)
Date: 02 January, 2018 12:31

Do remember that the last Test was played on a drop in pitch! Be very careful what you wish for.
Experiments in growing them have been going on at the Nursery End for some time but I think/hope hell will freeze over before they dig up the square for one.

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 02 January, 2018 15:28

The great god Money says the centre of the square at HQ will be turned into a drop in wicket thus meaning that TV get all their games bang in the middle which suits their camera positions etc perfectly and as it is they that are basically propping up the game with the vast amounts of money they are paying to show games they will get what they want.

Plus with the "elephant in the room" of franchise T20 the demand for more games on the centre of the square will only increase.

Looking forward to 2020 and playing all our cc games on edge wickets in April and late September.

Posted by: Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
Date: 09 January, 2018 13:54

Guy Lavender at the Q and A seemed pretty confident that the three in his possession will feature.

As you say Beefy the mechanics of ' dropping them in' sounds a bit tricky.

They are in fairly shallow concrete trays I think that will require winching in I imagine.

The former NZ batsman Nathan Astle scored an outrageous double ton on one in NZ a decade or so back I seem to recall.

He described it as 'flat as an ironing board'.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2018 23:09

The London Stadium in Stratford is expected to be one of the venues when the 2019 Cricket World Cup takes place in England and Wales, with matches at this ground taking place on drop-in pitches. There are plans to stage two matches at the ground in the summer of 2018, although I am not sure exactly how that could be achieved, as the fact the 2018 fixtures have been released and ticketing and travel arrangements are beginning to be made would make it difficult to move a match or two from another venue or date.

It was expected that Essex may use the London Stadium, so the obvious move would be to find a way to transfer a match or two from Chelmsford. The only other option would be to somehow manufacture a match by arranging a friendly involving players who are not otherwise engaged.

Any matches held at the London Stadium would have to be played in the annual period in the summer in which the non-permanent stands used for football are put away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net