Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Middlesex looking for a second ground
Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2019 11:36

HR

It may depend on whether the land can be developed in a normal sense. There may be restrictions or covenants which mean the site can only be used for recreational purposes, for example. If so, the value is much reduced.

By the same token, such restrictions may make it difficult to develop what MCCC want too, in terms of scale of infrastructure.

Adelaide

Posted by: tbl (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2019 16:38

I'll believe this when I see it. It is hard to believe that building a cricket ground for a small number of fixtures will be viable. Where is the money coming from?

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2019 18:43

I have a vague memory that Barnet FC were tentatively looking at Copthall some years ago, their existing ground being very cramped and on prime land with good transport but for whatever reason the idea didn't get very far.
What would happen to pour investment in Radlett?

Also is Copthall designated green belt? If so there could be planning problems.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2019 19:59

I suspect that local residents would have been much more put out by a football stadium - where everyone leaves at once - than a cricket stadium- where people pop in and out and (with the exception of Kev) are better behaved.

Presumably the concept at least has been discussed with the council.

Even if it is not Green Belt, it would be Metropolitan Open Land. On the Sarries thread someone says that it was also left for the benefit of Barnet residents in perpetuity but councils manage to interpret that very widely when it suits them (ask any longstanding Southgate resident about The Grange, where the benefit of residents turned out to mean building an office block).

Green belt and MOL is under threat in any case because of the perceived housing crisis. Enfield council is trying to say that if it cannot redesignate some Green Belt it will have to densify, particularly near transport hubs. We found out just what that meant a few weeks back when plans for an eighteen (yes, eighteen) storey block close to Southgate station emerged.

Adelaide

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 April, 2019 13:09

Quote:
tbl
I'll believe this when I see it. It is hard to believe that building a cricket ground for a small number of fixtures will be viable. Where is the money coming from?

If I can help tbl.

I attended all three pf the forums (one was the AGM) where this was discussed.

The first two were sparsely attended. About 25 for the first, a few more for the second.

The second was attended by Tim Lamb who understandably has much knowledge of Sport England and on what grounds they (SE), will dish out grants which I understand are very significant.

One has to meet certain criteria for this to happen.

Firstly, it will be a Community Ground able to accommodate Disability and Womens Cricket apart from MX usage as and when. This will require space for two squares.

Second XI games ( my guess) will be farmed out to outgrounds, though this years distribution is lopsided.

Tim Lamb also said diversity is required at Board level. From the recent results announced on Monday, this largely has not occurred.

If, MX can meet this criteria then grants from Sport England, ECB, Lottery, Mayor of London and so on would qualify MX for same.

These grants have potential to be considerable amounts to drive the construction and upkeep of the facility. Clearly it would be in use very much more than a few days a year.

Sport England and the ECB are driving this as a requirement for all counties.

Top table stated that the ground will cost a seven figure sum which MX, having lost over 900 grand in the past two years ( covered by reserves) are not in a rosy position to cover.

However with appropriate grants, this can be feasible.

IMHO, the club requires a facility of this nature as an investment for the longer term.

Get the buildings right and hiring out, as do other counties, can be done to provide a fifth revenue stream.

Much needed as our role in the historic county has been upgraded by the ECB. More a regional administrator than before.

It could also help stimulate membership levels which have nosedived recently. The reasons for which are not unobvious.

Hope this helps tbl.

Seaxe Man.

Posted by: tbl (IP Logged)
Date: 04 April, 2019 18:48

Thanks for the info, Seaxeman. Will be interested to see how this develops.

Posted by: Mark Drukker (IP Logged)
Date: 04 April, 2019 18:56

The Northern Line from Mill Hill East to Edgware (and Bushey Heath) was stopped in the 1950s because of the Green Belt. My school playing fields were next to Allianz Park, and I used to watch the steam goods train go past (it was abandoned in the 1960s).

Potters Bar, South Mimms and Staines were all going to be part of Greater London, but the government of the day changed their minds and left them out.

Date: 05 April, 2019 14:06

Whole thing Mark was engineered by a couple of builders on Harrow Council. One called Mote who moved rapidly to Chorleywood and was miffed when they built the M25 in his back garden. Not around now to view the mess he created 55 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2019 11:43 by Seaxe_man1.

Date: 06 April, 2019 11:42

The other bloke Mark, I now recall, was a bloke called Horace Cutler who later became Sir Horace Cutler for services rendered. To whom and for what left unexplained.

The motivation was their scheme to drive motorway boxes across London which would demolish the half missed by the Luftwaffe.

This, was tricky as then there existed six councils to deal with. So, lets make it one, get ourselves elected and nod it through.

The carrot stick for the tory government of the day, was to control London which had never happened since 1888. This ambition has largely not occurred.

Anyway it happened, though a bit pointless, as ten years down the road the tory/labour axis signed the whole country over to the BHK.

Recognise the similarities?

Anyway, on a brighter note, the members back in 1965 who voted out the proposed name change from MX, to Greater London, deserve to have their names put up in lights, sadly for many posthumously I guess.

Plus I used to watch the goods steamer (a tank engine) going to Edgware under the St Pancras Line at Mill Hill, while trainspotting with the trusty Ian Allen book.

Best memory, a Beyer-Garrett (sometimes two) hauling 300 wagons and 3000 tons of coal.

Posted by: fivestar (IP Logged)
Date: 07 April, 2019 09:30

Remember this chat 15 years ago!Really have not moved forward for a ‘ big’ club.

Date: 07 April, 2019 10:30

Totally agree five-star. This shudda been done 40 years ago.

Posted by: dnb (IP Logged)
Date: 04 May, 2019 05:15

According to an article in The Times planning permission has been sought for the new ground next to Allianz Park from Barnet Council.

Date: 04 May, 2019 11:02

Planning permission sought in October. If granted, building to start straightaway.

Date: 06 May, 2019 19:00

Plus Barnet Council will only charge Mx a peppercorn rent. Saracens next door often run out of hospitality space in rugby season. Hint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2019 19:01 by Seaxe_man1.

Current Page: 3 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net