Current Page: 1 of 5
Last game of season,Durham away
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 21 September, 2018 19:46

Furthest north in mid-September awaits us for last game of the season.
On the back of Durham getting beaten by Leicestershire,we wonder what team awaits us.
It will be a game covered by the media as it's Collys last game before retireing.
Should we keep same 11 that had a good win vs Derbyshire?
Winter clothing will be packed!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/09/2018 18:23 by BarmierKev.

Re: Last game of season,Durham away
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 21 September, 2018 20:53

I imagine that everyone participating in or attending this match will give Paul Collingwood an excellent and deserved ovation. Durham will also be saying goodbye to director of cricket Geoff Cook.

Middlesex will enter this match having won four, drawn one and lost one of their last six County Championship matches, so a win would take us into the winter feeling a bit happier about our season compared to what seemed likely earlier in the season. However, a defeat would take a bit of gloss off our resurgence under Richard Johnson and would leave us at risk of finishing behind Leicestershire and/or Derbyshire.

If we keep our over-rate in check, it would be the first time since 2013 that we would have avoided a points deduction!

The stunning bowling performance which Leicestershire this week inflicted on Durham was largely attributable to Mohammad Abbas, whose match figures of 18.3-6-52-10 caused Durham to be bowled out for 61 and 66, which was their two lowest totals in first-class cricket. However, I am not sure how much scope there is for our bowlers to attempt to do something similar by bowling in this match like Abbas did this week, as that performance came at Grace Road in unique conditions.

I wouldn’t have thought we will be keen to make many changes from our win v Derbyshire at Lord’s. It would be nice if Robbie White could do well in this match.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2018 12:24

Squad named-

Malan (c) Andersson, Bamber, Eskinazi, Fuller, Gubbins, Harris, Holden, Murtagh, Rayner, Robson, Scott, Stirling, White (wk).

Posted by: tbl (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2018 12:38

Is Simpson injured or just not being selected?

Date: 23 September, 2018 13:06

Not being selected.

Hopefully the new coach will rate him more highly than Richard Johnson.

Posted by: Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2018 13:10

Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Not being selected.
Hopefully the new coach will rate him more highly than Richard Johnson.

Maybe his batting will improve under the new coach. He can't complain about being dropped unless it's to complain about being the only batsman dropped.

Date: 23 September, 2018 13:13

I think the one thing we've learned this year is that three coaches (Scott, Vettori and Johnson) have different ideas regarding who they do, or don't rate.

Some of our players must feel like tug of love children in a divorce.

Date: 23 September, 2018 13:14

The first thing I noticed when I saw Middlesex’s squad was that Eoin Morgan is not included despite being a fixture in our County Championship side until last week. At least it means that Robbie White should retain his place unless Paul Stirling is brought in, or maybe an opportunity will be given to George Scott.

Although I am certainly not John Simpson’s biggest fan, I am surprised about how he has gone from being one of the first names on our teamsheet, to having been frozen out. If he can show signs during the winter that he has regained his form, then I would have thought that he would regain the gloves for our opening match of 2019. If he can’t get back into our side, I am sure that other counties would be interested in him.

The weather forecast for this match seems good, and I think the pitch is likely to be to bowlers’ liking, so it would be a surprise if the match is drawn.

Posted by: WayOutWest (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2018 16:37

Simmo has been quality for us over a long period. Has he been playing for the seconds at all?

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2018 16:42

My ignorant opinion is that it's the same team as last time, with Fuller or Ollie being the only debatable conundrum.

However, late September, (.............."and I really should be back at school", I know, I know), the further north you go the more seam friendly it gets, so ....... same as last time, and hope Ollie enjoys the sights.

Have fun all who are travelling. It's a long was back into Pink Panther city from the ground, but some decent pubs in the old town.

Date: 23 September, 2018 17:59

I think that John Simpson played in most of Middlesex’s 2nd XI matches after losing his place in our 1st XI. According to chunky’s record keeping, Simmo scored 271 runs with 3 fifties.

Durham have named a 14-man squad for this match consisting of Paul Collingwood (c), Cameron Steel, Alex Lees, Ryan Davies, Graham Clark, Gareth Harte, Michael Richardson, Stuart Poynter (wk), Mark Wood, Nathan Rimmington, Barry McCarthy, Matt Salisbury, Chris Rushworth and Ben Whitehead. Both Poynter and Steel have been on Middlesex's books, and I think that Harte may have played in our 2nd XI, although none of them played competitively for our 1st XI.

Posted by: Seaxe Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2018 18:03

Quote:
WayOutWest
Simmo has been quality for us over a long period. Has he been playing for the seconds at all?

Yes. John Simpson has been captaining the 2nd XI during his recent absence from the 1st XI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2018 18:04 by Seaxe Boy.

Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2018 08:43

Those out there enjoy and try to keep warm.

Look forward to your updates which I guess won't be 100% cricket related.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Date: 24 September, 2018 09:08

We won toss, and bat.

Rayner, Stirling and Scott omitted from the 14.

Date: 24 September, 2018 10:11

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
Both Poynter and Steel have been on Middlesex's books, and I think that Harte may have played in our 2nd XI, although none of them played competitively for our 1st XI.

Poynter played one first-class match for the club under Housego's captaincy versus Oxford MCC University at the Parks in May 2010.

He scored 42 during the 2nd innings, as well as taking three catches.

Date: 24 September, 2018 10:20

There is meant to be a live stream for this match, but I've given up.

The Durham website is a real mess, and trying to find how to access the live stream is damn nearly impossible.

When you do find it, you have to register (that's the easy bit) then click on link- and- you start at, I assume about 10 am, as they are all warming up, but it is impossible to line the feed up with real time. You can try, but there is nothing to tell you how to get to 'now'

The strip with the live score is there with the up to date score even at the start (if that makes sense) so it doesn't mean you have found 'live' (because it has the score up, even when they were still warming up)

Anyway, complete and utter INEPTITUDE by Durham.

Date: 24 September, 2018 10:34

Even though the infobar on the live feed has the correct score (so Eski and Holden batting) I have just seem Gubbins felled by the ball that reared up (so well over half an hour behind real time)

Complete MESS.

Given up on it.

Date: 24 September, 2018 10:49

72-5

Poor old Robbie White, gone for 0 (commentators think it might have been going down leg side).

He hasn't really done anything to suggest that Simmo shouldn't start as first choice keeper next April.

Date: 24 September, 2018 11:38

Middlesex are 113/7 at lunch with the top scorer Harris dismissed for 31.

Date: 24 September, 2018 12:12

James Fuller.....

See me.

(Sm60)

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net