Current Page: 1 of 5
New head coach is Stuart Law
Posted by: hdo (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2018 18:59

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 20:06 by BarmierKev.

Job vacancy
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2018 13:11

Anyone fancy applying?

[www.middlesexccc.com]

(Looks like I can't link directly to the full job description, so you'll have to click on link on press release to get the full details.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2018 19:03 by London Leprechaun.

Re: Job vacancy
Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2018 13:48

I am outstanding at putting out cones.

Adelaide

Posted by: Fozzie (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2018 14:51

I excel at taking the positives.

Date: 17 July, 2018 15:23

Good point. Pollyanna as front runner?

Adelaide

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2018 19:24

It is interesting that the closing date for applications is in exactly two week’s time, as I assumed that Middlesex would have been happy to be patient, knowing that there is plenty of time before the 2019 season starts. The fact we are moving quickly at least gives us plenty of time to sift through the CVs received and hold interviews, and the fact it is likely that an appointment will be made long before the 2019 season starts will give the new head coach several months to find their feet and work out how best to do their job.

The job description sheds some light on what the head coach's responsibilities will be, and what the club’s priorities are. It is ambitious that the club seek to be the most respected county in the country. They speak about aiming to have sustained success in first-class and limited-overs cricket, which is interesting after their failure to push on from winning the 2016 County Championship. The fact limited-overs cricket is mentioned suggests that the head coach will have some sort of responsibility for Twenty20 performances, despite Daniel Vettori being due to return in 2019. The head coach’s remit includes getting the players to play “positive and entertaining cricket”, helping the players break into the England side, deciding who the captain should be, deciding which players and support staff should be retained or appointed, and working with the captain to select the playing XI.

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2018 14:00

With the vacancy,I would say forget about splashing cash on a 6 game t20 player.How many of the players we have signed do actually check how the Middle are doing?
Probably Gilchrist might do.
Instead,use any player cash put towards contract to employ a coach whom can cover all 3 formats of the game,and on at least a 4 year contract.
And,someone who has had no direct links with our great club,a complete outsider starting from scratch.
Obviously the club have their own ideas,but just me thinking about it.

Date: 30 July, 2018 14:36

Although he's a bit of a dour so and so, I wondered if Mike Atherton might be interested (although he would probably want Gus's job).

His son is in the academy, so he already has a good knowledge of our players. Problem is Sky are probably paying him at least double what we could offer.

Actually, Atherton/T20 is probably one for the oxymoron thread.

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2018 17:57

I nominate Shaun Udal.

An absolutely excellent nominee for putting out the cones, picking up the discarded towels, and generally standing round, clad unnecessarily in a tracksuit.

Posted by: Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2018 09:00

Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Although he's a bit of a dour so and so, I wondered if Mike Atherton might be interested (although he would probably want Gus's job).
His son is in the academy, so he already has a good knowledge of our players. Problem is Sky are probably paying him at least double what we could offer.

Actually, Atherton/T20 is probably one for the oxymoron thread.

Atherton chunky. You need to read his cv. Not a fan of county cricket which he believes spreads the skills to thinly.

So, he is a supporter of only six teams playing ten games. I'll leave you to guess which six. This would leave huge swathes of England without first class cricket for miles around.

Presumably Atherton is unconcerned about the twelve clubs he wants to ditch: minor county cricket for them.

Last Sky pundit to fancy himself as a manager, Gary Neville, at Valencia, did not work out too well. A bit different away from the POD or computer screen.

Not popular with the Lancashire members who said ' he only bats for England'. Clue there somewhere.

Can't sees Atherton standing around in a track suit either.

STill I'm available. Not a big fan of spin, plenty of seam for me, and experience and my chapter on whiteball cricket is a blank page. My whiteball tail always starts at five.

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2018 11:32

Atherton good grief!

How much do you imagine he earns from his TV and newspaper work?

I wonder if Adams has applied

Date: 02 August, 2018 12:02

It's hard to come up with any obvious candidates.

I expect we'll end up with an overseas head coach, which is fine, except they will probably only stay two or three years before moving on, so you have to start all over again.

Other option- promote Richard Johnson, and look for a new bowling coach.

Probably too early for Tim Murtagh to be bowling coach (and he may play on for another year or two anyway)

Posted by: Seaxe Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 07 August, 2018 08:16

With no prior knowledge of the applications received by the club, I can just speculate like everyone else.

Of the possible contenders, we might be considering at the interim coach Richard Johnson, batting coach, Dave Houghton or either of the 2nd XI duo Alan Coleman and Rory Coutts. James Franklin might also emerge as a possible option.

We might also increase Daniel Vettori's brief or look further afield for either an experienced domestic or overseas coach (without a Middlesex background). This latter approach was attempted with the appointments of John Buchanan and Richard Pybus.

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2018 07:15

According to Daily Mail columnist Charles Sale,and I quote...
Middlesex,relegated from Division One of county championship last year,have high ambitions of attracting a top coach with former Ashes winner and England boss Andy Flower on their shortlist.
Goes on saying Flower was not happy when Ed Smith got national selector position and then...It is unlikely he will take the role whilst he deputises for Andrew Strauss.

Date: 11 August, 2018 07:33

Sale was right about Mick Hunt retiring last September (and it only became public a few weeks ago).

I wonder what a Flower led Middlesex would be like?

Flower comes across as another thoughtful man (rather than enthusiastic up and at 'em type).

Might be good at helping people like Max Holden move up a level.

Date: 11 August, 2018 08:44

Another thought on Andy Flower-

I could see him in more of a management role.

He might have applied for the job of Head coach, but if appointed it would keep Gus Fraser on his toes. How about Flower as DOC, and Richard Johnson head coach?

Date: 12 August, 2018 12:06

Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Another thought on Andy Flower-
I could see him in more of a management role.

He might have applied for the job of Head coach, but if appointed it would keep Gus Fraser on his toes. How about Flower as DOC, and Richard Johnson head coach?

I can just see Gus going for that when making the appointments!

Adelaide

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2018 15:34

First rule of management.

Never appoint anybody who might be a candidate to replace you.

Date: 12 August, 2018 16:02

Unless you are in your sixties...

Adelaide

Date: 12 August, 2018 16:20

But is it entirely Gus Fraser's decision?

Richard Goatley, plus other committee members will probably want to consider the merits of the various candidates.

So, you advertise for a Head coach, and then discover somebody of the calibre of Andy Flower has applied, at which point you might start thinking of two new appointments- Flower DOC, plus new head coach, (from the other candidates).

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net