Malan benefit year
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2019 12:32

Club have announced Mala has signed a new two year contract,and also 2019 is to be his benefit year.
Congratulations to Mala on his award for the year.
Hopefully,an event or two the members can afford to attend!

Re: Malan benefit year
Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2019 13:12

Testimonial rather than benefit according to the BBC website, though I'm not sure what the difference is. Something about tax treatment is buzzing round my brain...

As he has extended his contract and is captain, at least we should not be in last year's situation of having a testimonial for a player not considered for selection.

Adelaide

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2019 14:27

Something to do with tax yes. Benefit years no longer exist. When James Hildreth was awarded a benefit in 2017 it was a benefit year for the first few months and then from April a testimonial as the legislation changed.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2019 19:11

I congratulate Dawid Malan on being awarded a testimonial, which he deserves for his loyalty to Middlesex and for his contributions to the two trophies and one promotion we have achieved during his time at the club.

Nick Compton’s testimonial in 2018 included an expensive dinner and a few events in which celebrities were invited, which appealed much more to the prawn sandwich brigade than it did to the average cricket supporter. I am not sure if Malan’s testimonial in 2019 will be much different, as more money can be made from corporate people, especially as supporters probably feel less need nowadays to boost players’ bank balances due to these players earning much more these days. I am confident that Malan will have little trouble coping financially when his career ends, as he is often seen on Sky when he is not playing for Middlesex, England or a foreign Twenty20 side (he is currently playing for Khulna Titans in the Bangladesh Premier League). And he is highly likely to be sought by a side in The 100 next year.

It would be nice if there could be a special match arranged open to supporters (as opposed only open to people who buy hospitality) which is played in or near London.

I would have thought that the next few years will see testimonials granted to other Middlesex players who have been in our 1st XI since our promotion in 2011, such as Steven Finn, Eoin Morgan, John Simpson, Toby Roland-Jones, Sam Robson and Ollie Rayner (Tim Murtagh has already had - to use the title used in this instance - a benefit year).

It is also great news that Malan has signed a contract extension.

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2019 19:23

Really glad to hear this, one of the few players from whom I saw his debut at The Oval opening the batting. Fast forward a bit and there's that magnificent ton in the t20 qf on the same ground. We mustn't forget his ton in that championship winning game but one of the best times I saw him bat was a Lions game at Trent Bridge, utterly chanceless.

Edit: as was his 182 in the championship at TB too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2019 19:25 by tallliman.

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2019 14:20

I also saw his maiden MX ton on first class debut in 2008 at everyone's favourite ground against the South African's of Northants 132no..Afrikaans main language in the field.

Not done too many times over MX history.

Only done by 8 batsmen in total for Middlesex. Five in living memory. Sven Koenig in 2002, Three since Malan's debut ton..

The late Phil Hughes 118 versus Glamorgan 2009 at Lords'. A.C Voges 150 at Uxbridge 2013 versus Warwickshire ...an excellent knock.. Lastly, JEC Franklin 115no v Somerset at Taunton 2015.

Anyway, good luck Dawid.. hope it goes well..as Beefy said. Hopefully a couple of members events..

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2019 18:38

Dawid Malan’s testimonial year appears not to have a website yet, although it has a Twitter account from which 4 posts have so far been sent. One tweet from that account says that some events will be announced tomorrow. However, as I have said, I can’t see any of these events being designed to appeal to people such as myself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net