Luckily the Law is on our side
Posted by: Middlesex till we die (IP Logged)
Date: 03 March, 2019 21:50

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/03/2019 20:35 by BarmierKev.

Re: Luckily the Law is on our side
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 03 March, 2019 22:38

Was a very enjoyable afternoon,and well documented Kev.
Was a good buzz around the Tavern,and Simmo dropped by as well for a bit of time.
As he left,looked excited about the coming season.
A fresh breeze is blowing through the club,with The Lawman getting a good welcome.
Badges...SeaxeMan also received a 40 year badge,was there a 50? Anyone reach the half century?

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2019 07:46

I like what I've read.

Sam Robson- do we know he can't play T20?

We've never really found out (as in he's barely played a game).

It was more to do with him emerging as a four day player, but not being able to break into T20 because there were other options like Stirlo, who were clearly automatic one day picks, meaning he never got a chance. At the time the thinking was, 'He's a proper 4 day player. Don't let's risk that by asking him to alter his game for T20' I wouldn't be against giving him a go in T20.

Martin Andersson- He intrigues me. It's been said he can bowl at 90 mph. I reckon someone who bowls an over of 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 90, should be far more effective than someone who does the opposite, because a batsman can sometimes pick the slower ball, and adjust. Do it the other way round (particularly before word has got round the circuit he can do it) should be even more effective, because the batsman doesn't have the time to adjust, and has been lulled in to a false sense of security.

Finn to bowl like he used to- yes please!

Yes- I like what I've read!

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2019 08:30

The only other things I remember (- well done, Kev, I thought I had truly scuppered your note taking -) was that Stuart said he wanted Ethan to stop apologising when he hit and / or hurt someone. Also, he wants us to compete and fight right to the end of every match, and to never look back and say "maybe we could have done things differently".

He made a couple of other observations about players that show him to be a shrewd judge of character who has already sussed a few of them out.It will be very interesting to see how his influence rubs off on them.

There might be a couple of things we find hard to accept initially, but I think we are in for a very exciting time.

All of a sudden I am not as opposed as previously to the early'ish start to the season.

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2019 09:28

After being presented with a 20 year badge. I pointed out that I have been a member since 1973 and duly received a 40 year badge.

Apparently records are incomplete.

Overall an excellent way to spend a February afternoon.

Credit to Stuart Law. He stayed on for a considerable length of time afterwards, fielding questions from MTWD punters.

Posted by: dingy bags (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2019 21:51

A thoroughly enjoyable event, affordable, informative and informal. Some real moves in the right direction here, in terms of communicating with members. Other advertised events will be well worth a try during the season, on this evidence, and I would urge everyone to consider getting along.

REALLY impressed with the Lawman, both in terms of his initial insights into the squad and how he wants us to play AND in terms of his approachability and conviviality.

One comment sticks in my mind, the idea that he will treat all of them as potential test players.

Posted by: Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 March, 2019 09:18

Will non attendees to this luncheon Q and A receive, in due course, a membership badge. My first visit to Lord's was during the summer of 1978. I have been a life member since 1993. Also became a full member a few years before that...

Sc2

Date: 06 March, 2019 14:08

I suggest you take this up with the appropriate people within the Club, Sc2.

The badges came as a very pleasant surprise to us, and we knew nothing about them before we were awarded them.

Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 06 March, 2019 14:11

They'd be a lot to dish out. You can try but feel this was one off for all attendees.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Date: 06 March, 2019 14:20

A great quote from one of our number from the Club's official report of the event:

"Roy Simmons, aged 81, who has been a Middlesex member for over forty years, had this to say about attending yesterday’s event:

“This was an excellent event and it’s been really well received by the members. Well done to the club for laying it on.

“I really liked what Stuart Law had to say for himself and I can’t help feeling he’ll be a really positive influence in the Middlesex dressing room.

“I am really honoured and proud to have received my 40 years loyalty badge from the club and will wear it with pride whenever I come to Lord’s. All members have been delighted to be acknowledged in this way.

“I’ve been watching cricket here since 1947 and have been a member since 1973 and have so many fond memories of watching Middlesex.”

Very well put, Roy. Here's to many, many more.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 06 March, 2019 14:56

They got his age wrong.

He's 98 you know- and has been for a number of years.

Time the club awarded him a benefit.

Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 06 March, 2019 16:15

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 06 March, 2019 18:54

The section on Middlesex’s official website about becoming a member says “Special lapel badges will be issued to Life Members and also to Members celebrating 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and, in 12 remarkable cases, 60 years of consecutive membership!”.

Therefore, it seems that receiving a badge was not exclusive to those who attended the dinner, although I am sure that those who attended felt privileged to be presented with their badge in person rather than receive it through the post.

As I have been a member since 2000 and a life member since 2002, while Lower Mound has been a life member since 1975 (he wasn’t a member before that), I don’t know whether that means we will receive two badges each or if we will receive one badge each which will reflect that we have been members for 10+ years and 40+ years respectively rather than for a shorter period. And I don’t know if this means that I will be due to receive another badge in 2020 to mark the fact I will have been a member for 20 years. My guess is that we will receive one badge each.

The dinner sounded like a pleasant event, with the only thing I have heard to the contrary being when I saw someone write on Twitter “Yesterday at Lord's Stuart Law spoke to members and mentioned the Hundred. He’d barely finished the sentence before a chorus of boos rang out”.

Date: 07 March, 2019 08:50

Don't worry, Jonathan, the boos were directed towards a very unpopular new tournament, where it is not proposed that the name of our club nor that of any other county should feature, and not towards our new Head Coach, nor Gus.

The boo's might even be a very useful reaction for Richard and Gus to register, and report back to the ECB. The reaction against the mention of the Hundred was spontaneous and came from across the room. It proved to me that it's not just the happy headcases on MTWD that are opposed to it, but the whole membership spectrum.

However, as I said, it was good natured, and nothing to do with the people present.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 10 March, 2019 19:49

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
The section on Middlesex’s official website about becoming a member says “Special lapel badges will be issued to Life Members and also to Members celebrating 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and, in 12 remarkable cases, 60 years of consecutive membership!”.

Therefore, it seems that receiving a badge was not exclusive to those who attended the dinner, although I am sure that those who attended felt privileged to be presented with their badge in person rather than receive it through the post.

As I have been a member since 2000 and a life member since 2002, while Lower Mound has been a life member since 1975 (he wasn’t a member before that), I don’t know whether that means we will receive two badges each or if we will receive one badge each which will reflect that we have been members for 10+ years and 40+ years respectively rather than for a shorter period. And I don’t know if this means that I will be due to receive another badge in 2020 to mark the fact I will have been a member for 20 years. My guess is that we will receive one badge each.

Lower Mound has read more of the latest Middlesex mailing than I have, and he says that he has read that members eligible for a lapel badge will have to go to the club office to claim their badge. I was hopeful that badges would have been sent with the mailing, although I suppose I don’t mind going to office during the interval of a match to receive mine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net