Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Surrey Middlesex 50 overs Thursday
Posted by: lower pavilion (IP Logged)
Date: 25 April, 2019 18:54

A splendid victory. It is always good to beat our friends from across the river.

As chunkyinargyll has said. A great advert for the 50 over game. I wonder if anyone from ECB was present and taking notes.

Posted by: Ivor's Tache (IP Logged)
Date: 25 April, 2019 18:54

Great win, shame I was working! Great bowling figures for Nathan and Tom. Handy late order runs. 😎

Posted by: BREARS (IP Logged)
Date: 25 April, 2019 18:55

whats the deal with qualification? good old fashioned top 4 go through??

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 25 April, 2019 19:06

First place automatically gets you a place in the semi-finals.

2nd plays 3rd in the other division in a 'quarter-final'

4th place no good.

Only top three progress.

Posted by: middlefan (IP Logged)
Date: 25 April, 2019 19:07

Very good win! I will admit that, at 185-8, I didn’t think we had a prayer. Excellent batting from TRJ and Sowter, and great bowling from Sowter and Helm, proved me wrong - thankfully! A couple more wins should hopefully be enough to see us through...

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 25 April, 2019 19:08

The top three teams from each group qualify for the knockout stages. The second-placed team from each group hosts the third-placed team from the other group in the play-off round for a place in the semi-finals. The winners of each group go straight to the semi-finals and get a home match.

This could turn out to be a vital win for Middlesex, as for much of the match it seemed like we could have found ourselves having suffered a second successive defeat. Instead, we now have three wins and one defeat, so are very much in the hunt for the knockout stages.

The late runs scored by Toby Roland-Jones, Nathan Sowter and Steven Finn unquestionably played a big role in this win.

Considering Eoin Morgan is a key player in Middlesex’s limited-overs sides and I was looking forward to us having him in the same side as Paul Stirling, Dawid Malan and Ross Taylor, it was a disappointment to see Morgan not named in the side. The loss of our fourth wicket in the 13th over did nothing to ease my disappointment that we were unable to call upon Morgan to aid our quest to post a decent total. Thankfully, Taylor and Nick Gubbins put on 79 for the fifth wicket. However, I feel nervous about how we are going to cope with the fact that Morgan has probably made his final appearance before the World Cup and that Stirlo will shortly go on Ireland duty.

It looks like a good bowling performance, as we took two early wickets, and Surrey spent most of their innings with a run rate of around 5, which was below the 5.56 they initially required. It was much better than our previous visit to The Oval, when we played a Twenty20 match and found that posting 221-5 was nowhere near enough to put them under scoreboard pressure!

Well done to Sowter on taking four wickets and to Tom Helm on making it nine wickets in two matches.

Gubbins has spoken to Wisden about our campaign.

Posted by: BREARS (IP Logged)
Date: 25 April, 2019 19:09

I can see us finishing Won 5 lost 3, might be tight

Date: 25 April, 2019 19:17

JW- Kevin Hand said on commentary the England team meet up on Saturday- so Morgan definitely won't be playing against Sussex.

I think the same applies to Stirling and Murtagh, so Holden will probably play instead of Stirling on Saturday That's assuming there is a game, as the forecast I have just looked at isn't encouraging. A shame as the game is on Sky.

Date: 25 April, 2019 19:31

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 25 April, 2019 19:44

Great to watch Toby back in full - on, clean hitting, free scoring mode again.

His deposit of Korkel a long way into the seats over long leg was great viewing. I loved how he took the responsibility to get us over the line towards a defensible total. Even Finny got in on the act with a six off the first ball of an over where I think Toby had told him just to try to get off strike and let him have a go.

Finny's second catch - to dive full length straight ahead of himself to scoop one off the carpet to get Elgar, was the Brian Johnson champers moment for me, or in MTWD terms, a Sainsbury's miniature of Shiraz prised from Kev's despairing grasp.

From over 4, which saw the Surrey rate stand at 10 per over, thanks mainly to Toby taking a while to find his groove, our boys pegged it back and pegged it back. Great bowling by Sowter. Then, it was at 5.6, then 6.15, then heading towards 8 an over. Still gettable, but not without taking risks. Our boys stuck to their task, believed in their plan, and didn't lose heart.

At times in the field, Surrey looked very dispirited. By contrast, Simmo buzzed around the stumps, and really appears to be re-energised. Great outfielding by Gubbo.

Not a bad debut for Roscoe. He held our innings together. Had he and Gubbo stayed together for a little longer, who knows what we might have achieved. I didn't know which Surrey players were being rested, so thought we might have ended up short. However, the scorecard seems to indicate that we got enough!

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 25 April, 2019 22:09

A joyful victory today down in Mexico.
First ground I have been too where non-members areas are cashless,Card only.
In long room,was 6,yes,6 real ales on offer,and being told this is for the whole season...Ideas for the Spaniards to be aware of?
Back to the game...what a great victory and,deserved.
Must admit,at times,thought we had blown it...not enough runs was mentioned.
Then,bit,by bit we dismantled the Mexicans to get the win.
Tailenders got more decisive runs,and when in field we all got together for wickets.
We laughed,Mexicans saying we were loud,at one time one said we were like Millwall fans for cheering the Middle,then being like Brighton fans for cheering...we did laugh louder!
After the fabulous win,we went for refreshments on the Beehive..I called it the bird bath more than once...dont ask!
On the tele in beehive,sky sports news showed the score and wickets,to more cheering and chants of Middlesex la la la.
Oh we gaffawed....lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/04/2019 22:11 by BeefyRoberts.

Date: 25 April, 2019 23:30

Posted by: WayOutWest (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2019 05:28

Quote:
chunkyinargyll
JW- Kevin Hand said on commentary the England team meet up on Saturday- so Morgan definitely won't be playing against Sussex.
I think the same applies to Stirling and Murtagh, so Holden will probably play instead of Stirling on Saturday That's assuming there is a game, as the forecast I have just looked at isn't encouraging. A shame as the game is on Sky.

The forecast has been for a wash out all week long. Gladly this has dramatically changed now to cloudy, very windy, but dry.

Date: 26 April, 2019 08:10

Quote:
BeefyRoberts
First ground I have been too where non-members areas are cashless,Card only.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I'm one of those old fashioned people who pays for small purchases with cash. In fact, if I'm not planning to use my card, I might not even take it with me.

So I could have rolled up at The Oval, cash in hand, to be turned away at the turnstile?

Different times, but when I was still at school (long before I would have had any cards) I used to go to cricket at Lord's and The Oval on my own (travelling on completely knackered 1938 stock on the Bakerloo and Northern being part of the fun day out). Imagine being 14 years old today- going to the other side of London, and being told, 'Card only. Go away!'

The best thing about this victory was that we weren't in charge throughout. In the past we only won games we bossed from start to finish. The moment the oppo had a good partnership we would crumble, but not this time.

That really is progress!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/04/2019 08:12 by chunkyinargyll.

Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2019 13:37

Lord's have cashless bars and this sadly is the way forward. I remember going to 02 Centre. There was a failed attempt to compromise my bank account and had to cancel card while waiting new one. Meanwhile, I wasrefused service for having cash as my only means for payment.

Meanwhile , we look forward to seaxe Man's ball by ball account of yesterday. This as you can understand will take some time.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net