Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Middle v Leicestershire 14-17 May 2019
Posted by: Ebor Gooner (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2019 22:58

We clearly have players with talent. On paper, our batting line up is the envy of most counties. I suspect most fans of other teams would happily take Robson, Malan, Gubbins, Eskinazi over their incumbents. The coaches job is to get them performing close to their best on a regular basis. Over the last couple of years that obviously hasn't happened. Why, for instance, does Paul Stirling not perform for us, in the manner he does for Ireland? Or Morgan get anywhere near his England performances?

It must also be a concern, that players we have released, seem to perform better than those we have retained. I'm thinking of Rossington and Higgins here, but others may have different examples.

Probably too early to criticise the current coach, but it has been a trend over the last few years. This year, we must have been red hot favourites for promotion, yet it's going to be a difficult ask from here. I'm sure we all want to get behind our side, but we need to have something to latch on to.

Posted by: BREARS (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2019 00:28

The demise of this club since 2016 is remarkable. The Compton/Franklin fiasco of last year and the lack of overseas or any other signings while letting Higgins go just add up to incompetence on the clubs part. Finn has stood still at best, and the batting shows no sign of solidity. Just a stale feeling about the place. There is nothing coming through in the 2s, Tom Barber would struggle to get a game in the Middlesex League and Sowter as has been said on here previously will leave if continually overlooked for red ball cricket. all very depressing.

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2019 06:59

Agree with last three posts. Adelaide. Ebor Gooner. Brears. As said by Adelaide. Criticism on here is constructive not negative. As Adelaide said. Shrugging your shoulders and hoping for the best per Snicko won't get us far and ain't the answer.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2019 08:00

Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Nice to hear from a Board member. We don't hear from them often.

Are you saying snicko is a bored member, I mean board member.

Just goes to show you never know who you are chatting to on the internet.

I mean, how many people on here know my true identity?

[i.ytimg.com]

Date: 19 May, 2019 09:17

It was tongue in cheek I hope chunky though you never know. Snicko espoused I thought what the board position is. I can tell you that at least two Board members do read MTWD.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2019 09:51

During Middlesex’s most recent spell in division one, it felt like we were a side that players from other counties wished to play for and where they felt they could progress their career. That was clearly a factor in Joe Denly signing ahead of the 2012 season and James Harris pleasantly surprising us by choosing us over about 11 other counties the following year. However, if our spell in division two runs into a third season, then even if the club abandon their reluctance to pursue players from other counties, the club may find it hard to attract players who aspire to play at a high level, as the clubs in division one will have more pulling power.

There is still plenty of time for us to make a promotion charge this season, and we have the players to do it, but we could do with getting at least one win from our forthcoming matches v Worcestershire and Sussex to avoid being in the situation where we have played more than a third of our 14 matches and have lots of a ground to make up.

Date: 19 May, 2019 09:58

Yes JW. Those players will have ten division one teams to choose from. So, MX need to do bit of forward thinking. Absent in recent times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2019 11:14 by Seaxe_man1.

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2019 13:29

I hardly like to mention this but Higgins sits at the top of the Gloucs batting averages and second in the bowling averages. At the risk of condemnation by Sicko for whinging, I still feel exasperated by the way his departure was handled. We're not exactly knee deep in all rounders.

Posted by: Mark Drukker (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2019 14:12

I saw Higgins in the game at Newport last week, and he seemed to have some authority about him, like with Rossington at Northampton last year. This has happened a lot over the years. Young players in and out of the Middlesex team, watching their colleagues, and then they go to new counties and perform like their heroes.

Bob White in the 1960s was just an occasional batsman with Middlesex, and then went to Nottinghamshire and played like Titmus Mark 2, becoming one of their most important players.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2019 15:24

I see Tom Lace is playing for Derbyshire today. Were we only able to get him back because Derbyshire had their feet up last week, I wonder?

I doubt that Higgins will be topping their batting averages at the end of the season. Last year his CC average was 21 (and Rossington's was 23). Higgins's bowling has been his main trump suit at Glos. Plus of course both Higgins and Rossington are strong one day batsmen.

Bob White did manage 1355 runs in 1963 so he was more than just a bit part at Middlesex. I think he ended up near the bottom of the order at Notts. His reinvention as an off spinner was quite a surprise. He may well have picked up some tricks from the master (as may Peter Parfitt) but however good he might have looked in the nets if he tried to put them in pratcice at Middlesex, there was no way he was going to supplant the great man!

Adelaide

Date: 19 May, 2019 16:12

Add Dean Headley to that list Mark left for Kent and went on to play for England. A foul up by the Wing Commander apparently as he freely admitted.

Posted by: Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2019 16:45

Quote:
Seaxe_man1
Add Dean Headley to that list Mark left for Kent and went on to play for England. A foul up by the Wing Commander apparently as he freely admitted.

And that was, what, 30 years ago? Which *recently* departed youngsters have really gone on to better things? If the best examples people can come up with are Dean Headley and Bob White it suggests that the problem isn't our judgement of who to release it's our recruitment and development.

Date: 19 May, 2019 17:03

Quote:
Haringey Racer
Quote:
Seaxe_man1

And that was, what, 30 years ago? Which *recently* departed youngsters have really gone on to better things? If the best examples people can come up with are Dean Headley and Bob White it suggests that the problem isn't our judgement of who to release it's our recruitment and development.
Depends what you call better things HR. There is a ex MX contingent of around a complete team holding down county contracts now. That suggests recruitment is ok but development is not.

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2019 19:40

Richard Johnson had some great performances for us but only really prospered when he went to Somerset. Conversely the evergreen Tim Murtagh must rate as our best acquisition ever.

Posted by: Bring back the Crusaders (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2019 23:11

Agreed - Tim Murtagh must rank as our best acquisition since Paul Downton.

Date: 20 May, 2019 13:25

Quote:
freddie tittlemouse
Richard Johnson had some great performances for us but only really prospered when he went to Somerset. Conversely the evergreen Tim Murtagh must rate as our best acquisition ever.
He was one of three Fred. The others were Aaron Laraman and Keith Dutch. They picked up a couple of medals there which they would not have got with Mx at that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/05/2019 13:30 by Seaxe_man1.

Date: 20 May, 2019 16:57

Another ex-Middlesex player doing well for Somerset is Extras, easily their top scorer against Warwickshire today. We really should have capped extras to keep them happy.

Adelaide

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2019 18:27

Tom Lace’s inclusion for Derbyshire v Glamorgan answers my question about whether he would be able to go back on loan to Derbyshire (or elsewhere) after playing for Middlesex last week.

Date: 20 May, 2019 21:45

He is on a season long loan at Derby. For which I imagine they paid Mx a fee.

Date: 20 May, 2019 22:49

Quote:
Seaxe_man1
He is on a season long loan at Derby. For which I imagine they paid Mx a fee.

So he only played for us because they didn't have a game.

Adelaide

Current Page: 5 of 6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net