Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Peter Roebuck (Cricinfo Article)
Posted by: Clarence Parker
Date: 20/01/2017 14:01
Indeed, so do I Mike.

I read the 'Cricket Web' article which was attached to Farmer White's posting. Some of the comments made at the foot of it were as disdainful and vitriolic as some that have appeared on this site in the past, on the subject of Peter Roebuck.

I did not know him personally but did correspond with him on one occasion and was delighted to receive such a kind and understanding reply in return.

I confess to having been an admirer and supporter of him as a cricketer, as a captain and as one of the finest (if not the) cricket writers / broadcasters of certainly my time.

Of course he did wrong as we learnt from the proceedings at Taunton Crown Court in 2001 when he was given a suspended jail sentence. IMO that wiped the slate clean.

Towards the end of last year I read with great interest and sorrow a book by Tim Lane and Elliot Cartledge entitled ‘Chasing Shadows – The life & death of Peter Roebuck’. As well as being a dark book in places, it was for me painful to read.

The book revealed that many questions concerning the circumstances that led up to his death remain unanswered.

I simply hope that his family will find the answers that will give them closure on their personal loss.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing